Ken Hensley, 75.

Another legend has left us: Ken Hensley died yesterday. 
Like Jon Lord, he was one of the few guys who could turn the keyboards into a full-fledged hard rocking instrument. He was also a tremendous songwriter, and could play a mean slide guitar too. 
Thinking of all the classic tracks he wrote for Uriah Heep...  what a legacy.  

Comments

• I'm just picking up my pieces from hearing this. Ken's gift for composing and knack for astounding melodies was unrivalled in his fold. Look At Yourself, July Morning, The Wizard, Circle of Hands, Rainbow Demon, The Spell, Rain, Stealin', Sweet Freedom, Return To Fantasy. These 10 titles alone make a tremendous bunch of music - I mean - these are the songs each of us would love to compose ourselves if only we could, I guess... Not to mention Lady in Black, Easy Livin' and Free Me - somewhat purposedly - I just don't like them. I'm still too aware that for these Ken would be mostly remembered, they were Heep's biggest commercial staples.

To what 7Moons says I can only add that Ken had an amazing voice that easily matched the one of David Byron. In fact they had pretty similar registers which until now makes people unaware that Ken sings in The Spell or Firefly. But most of all - it will be him to blame for the keyboard sounds visionary that shaped the rock sound I personaly love the most. Crunching Hammond coupled with guitar and the salvo of voices. Up to this day - when I hear the uproar of the singing opening Bird of Prey - with Byron's final wail - I'm still electrified with it's sheer power. UH's output might have been sometimes patchy and overblown (they were pulling out too much and too hard at times), but if you filter the Hensley decade well enough - you get a crown that musically shines oh-so-brightly.

Still shellshocked and sad. Thank you Ken.

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,941
    For July Morning alone, Nuff said,  2020 shittest year on record  
  • This fucking year blows
  • 2020 hits just keep coming.  Uriah Heep's early-mid 70's output is some of my all-time favorite music, and Ken Hensley wrote the majority of it.  I enjoyed his solo records as well, he was just a really great musician.  Thanks for the many many glorious and meaningful songs. RIP
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    RIP Sir. Your music was a constant at so many parties attended during my youth.
  • SunRedSun said:
    I'm just picking up my pieces from hearing this. Ken's gift for composing and knack for astounding melodies was unrivalled in his fold. Look At Yourself, July Morning, The Wizard, Circle of Hands, Rainbow Demon, The Spell, Rain, Stealin', Sweet Freedom, Return To Fantasy. These 10 titles alone make a tremendous bunch of music - I mean - these are the songs each of us would love to compose ourselves if only we could, I guess... Not to mention Lady in Black, Easy Livin' and Free Me - somewhat purposedly - I just don't like them. I'm still too aware that for these Ken would be mostly remembered, they were Heep's biggest commercial staples.

To what 7Moons says I can only add that Ken had an amazing voice that easily matched the one of David Byron. In fact they had pretty similar registers which until now makes people unaware that Ken sings in The Spell or Firefly. But most of all - it will be him to blame for the keyboard sounds visionary that shaped the rock sound I personaly love the most. Crunching Hammond coupled with guitar and the salvo of voices. Up to this day - when I hear the uproar of the singing opening Bird of Prey - with Byron's final wail - I'm still electrified with it's sheer power. UH's output might have been sometimes patchy and overblown (they were pulling out too much and too hard at times), but if you filter the Hensley decade well enough - you get a crown that musically shines oh-so-brightly.

Still shellshocked and sad. Thank you Ken.

I actually love Lady in Black...