Back At It... NG’sD

Was really impressed with the 2020 Standard Gold Top, so I purchased a 2020 Trans Red Classic, literally about 3 weeks later, equally impressed...

What’s the over/under on how long I keep them?

Comments

• I give it three weeks until you make up your mind on which one you like the most and get rid of it. the other one maybe a couple months...
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    Those are nice! How do you think the Classic compares to the Standard?
  • Was really impressed with the 2020 Standard Gold Top, so I purchased a 2020 Trans Red Classic, literally about 3 weeks later, equally impressed...

What’s the over/under on how long I keep them?

Guessing it's partially contingent on whether the cat pees on them or in the cases.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,293
    Nice pair! (I especially like that red one!)

The Classic has a very comfortable neck. My 2017 Goldtop Classic is a PLAYER. The pickups may or may not be to anyone's liking, but that can be rectified easily. I put a Suhr Dougie set on mine.

And Gunner, congrats and play them in good health.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,344
    Classic, with its weight relief, and thinner neck, does sound a little different, I like the 61 pickups in the Classic better, the Standard already had the Burstbucker 1 and 2 replaced with a 59/JB set. Playability is not much different, I give the edge to the Standard, but it was already setup, I haven’t had a chance to get the Classic set up to my liking yet, I only got it yesterday. But the quality is the same, I guess the only real difference between a Standard with 60s neck and the Classic are the pickups and the weight relief.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,936
    All three of them look good. I have a soft spot for the tabby, but maybe it does not sound as good as the others, so as a compromise I'd pick the goldtop.  

Congrats! 
    All three of them look good. I have a soft spot for the tabby, but maybe it does not sound as good as the others, so as a compromise I'd pick the goldtop.  

Congrats! 
    She’s actually an affectionate little sweetheart, she puts up with my shit
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    I'm not sure about Seven Moons rating of the Tabby's tonality. I've found that if you squeeze them in just the right spot they'll produce a lead voice that really cuts through the mix.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,692
    edited November 2020
    Classic, with its weight relief, and thinner neck, does sound a little different, I like the 61 pickups in the Classic better, the Standard already had the Burstbucker 1 and 2 replaced with a 59/JB set. Playability is not much different, I give the edge to the Standard, but it was already setup, I haven’t had a chance to get the Classic set up to my liking yet, I only got it yesterday. But the quality is the same, I guess the only real difference between a Standard with 60s neck and the Classic are the pickups and the weight relief.
    I have a 20 Classic

and an 18 std

I dropped  a set of JB & 59s into the Classic like the Classic much better now..
    Getting ready to drop a set of Suhr Aldrich pups into the Std.. I play the hell out of the Classic now.. The Cobalt Std IS the Lester I've looked for, for far too many yrs.. And I'm afraid to play it cause I know I'll fuck it up.. :s

Crazy huh? :#

Congrats!! Two fine looking Les Pauls :)
    Post edited by Bytor on
    100_2869.jpg 640.8K
    18 Cobalt.jpg 234.4K
    Bytor said:

I dropped  a set of JB & 59s into the Classic like the Classic much better now..
    Getting ready to drop a set of Suhr Aldrich pups into the Std.. I play the hell out of the Classic now.. The Cobalt Std IS the Lester I've looked for, for far too many yrs.. And I'm afraid to play it cause I know I'll fuck it up.. :s

Crazy huh? :#

Congrats!! Two fine looking Les Pauls :)
    I’d put something else in the Classic, considered 59/59 custom hybrid. I don’t know

Thanks! That info is good to have when shopping for one. Does the weight relief affect the tone in any considerable way. Does it sound somewhat like a hollow body? Or doesn't it really make a difference? :) 
  • Does the weight relief affect the tone in any considerable way. Does it sound somewhat like a hollow body? Or doesn't it really make a difference? :) 
    Not in any considerable way, no. My 2014 LP is a chambered 59 reissue, and at 7.4 lbs, it's lighter than most of my Strats (which is key for me). It's one serial number away from this one. Tell me if you think it matters.

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Does the weight relief affect the tone in any considerable way. Does it sound somewhat like a hollow body? Or doesn't it really make a difference? :) 
    Not in any considerable way, no. My 2014 LP is a chambered 59 reissue, and at 7.4 lbs, it's lighter than most of my Strats (which is key for me). It's one serial number away from this one. Tell me if you think it matters.

This is spectacular sounding on that clip! So I guess it doesn't really matter then :) I would still like to try one chambered and one not chambered side by side just to make my mind up completely :) 

This is spectacular sounding on that clip! So I guess it doesn't really matter then :) I would still like to try one chambered and one not chambered side by side just to make my mind up completely :) 
    I had an 08 Standard, damn thing was practically a semi hollow guitar.... Sounded like a Les Paul