EVH dead at 65

124»

Comments

• merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,456
    edited October 2020
    @"Dinosaur David B"  I love Van Hagar as well, some great tunes in that era, not only the hit ballads. 
    Didn't know about Templeman's book, will check it out.

I've read Van Halen Rising which I think someone recommend here in DRG
    Post edited by merlo_zeppelin on
  • Ted said in Rolling stone that Ed could barely speak English when they first met, kind of a theme there. Angus and Malcolm outsiders in Sydney with their Scottish accents and celtic roots. Yngwie arriving in California 1983, definitely a spur.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,295
    edited October 2020
    @"Dinosaur David B"  I love Van Hagar as well, some great tunes in that era, not only the hit ballads. 
    Didn't know about Templeman's book, will check it out.

I've read Van Halen Rising which I think someone recommend here in DRG
    Yeah, that was also me and some others.

If you want the cliff notes version of what Templeman says about Van Halen in his autobiography, much of it is in that Rolling Stone interview.  The book is interesting, but covers a LOT more than VH. Including a ton on T.T.'s early life. And musically, he's worked with Van Morrison (where he met Ronnie Montrose), Montrose (not enough), Carly Simon, the Doobie Brothers (too much, but he produced like 6+ albums for them). I'm only up to Sammy Hagar's VOA album in 84 or so.

Interesting thing about Templeman is that while he was often right, he was often wrong about songs as well.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,810
    Ted said in Rolling stone that Ed could barely speak English when they first met, kind of a theme there. Angus and Malcolm outsiders in Sydney with their Scottish accents and celtic roots. Yngwie arriving in California 1983, definitely a spur.

For me, as an european with two mother languages, watching Alex and Ed on a Dutch TV speaking dutch was VERY touching.
    You, americans, have to understand that, even loving american music and culture, sometimes, we think about you as somewhat of mean people.

• @eduardoritos,
    you ain't wrong about that!  lol  

• I think DLR's career just officially ended.

For better or worse, I think you'll actually hear more from Dave now. Before Covid hit, he was doing a Vegas residence, and hitting the road with KISS. And doing a VH-heavy setlist, Supposedly he was using Van Halen's gear, so it sounds like the brothers gave him the go-ahead to go out and carry the VH flag. We'll see, I guess.
  • Yeah I was thinking something like that too. My sense was that he was constrained a little bit by being "back in Van Halen" while the guys didn't want to perform. Whereas now he can do whatever he wants. Maybe he won't headline MSG, but he has enough of a following to keep doing stuff like opening for KISS, I'd guess.
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    A washed up opening act for a washed up headliner act just doesn't call to my ticket buying part. I don't even feel a stir. It's like .....dead.

Eddie was the secret sauce. No amount of mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. will marginally replace him.
  • inmyhands said:
    Eddie was the secret sauce. No amount of mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. will marginally replace him.

No, but DLR had a career outside of VH, and he may be able to go back to a Vegas gig and play his, and VH songs again with a band.

As for Shemp and Wolfgang, they'd be wise to retire the band name.  There are EVH clone guitarists out there, but I can't see them going that route.

OTOH, if they DO decide to piss on their legacy, this is the break Terry Lauderdale has been waiting his whole life for!

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • The one whose career I'm not sure about now is Alex Van Halen. I don't think they'll do shows with an Eddie replacement either, and I'm not sure where that leaves Alex. The other guys all have something. If I had to guess, I'd think it goes something like this:

Wolfgang releases his solo album finally, and basically follows that wherever it takes him. In the meantime he runs the EVH brand, like the guitars and amps or whatever, with Eddie's guitar tech. But I don't think he plays in any version of Van Halen. Maybe, maybe there would be a one-off charity thing for a good cause where they bring in some other guitarists, but I feel like that's the only way it would happen.

DLR does his stuff with a backup band, covering VH and his solo tunes, doing Vegas or whatever else. 

Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar keep doing what they've been doing with the Circle, which has always covered Sammy VH songs as a matter of course.

Alex Van Halen is the only one sorta starting over from scratch, if he does anything.
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • Damn, this one still hurts. I never thought how much EVH meant in so many levels.

I don´t see AVH doing anything ever again, to be honest. DLR will keep on going. Dude used to be the biggest frontman on earth. If anything else he will always have Vegas.
  • If Shemp retires, no one would blame him.  
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,696
    edited October 2020
    With all the downtime VH had as a band over the years Alex never did anything outside of the band that I recall so why would anyone think anything would change now?  He was easily the least prolific of all the members and Eddie wasn’t that far behind.  I assume he will continue to do what he has done over the past 20 years which appears to be mostly nothing.

As for Roth I would assume he will just go about his solo lounge act and now won’t have to worry about ruffling the brother feathers when he does so.

I also assume everyone else will just go about their business as usual.

I do however suspect that at some point there will be some sort of giant tribute show with various guests.  With COVID they have plenty of time to start planning logistics for when things open up.  I say get the 3 singers, Alex and Mikey along with a plethora of guitarists and do something in CA and also stream it or put on PPV.
    Post edited by Jay G on
  • Still very sad about this...
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,344
    Been away a while... This hit me somewhat hard. Eddie was the single reason I wanted to start playing guitar, saw the Hot For Teacher video, and my dad bought me a shity little Cort student guitar, and I have sucked ever since. My only 3 real guitar influences are Slash, Page, and Eddie, everyone else I’m just a fan of. Before that moment, I wanted to play drums, like Peter Criss, John Bonham, and my uncle.

I wonder if Billie Eilish knows who the fuck Van Halen is now?!?!