Best neck you have ever played?

2»

Comments

• Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,110
    Thin, wide, flat necks with 24 jumbo frets. I like the necks on the Fender HM Strat and the ESP MII deluxe but my favourite is the Ibanez super wizard. 
    "Practice cures most tone issues"
    - John Suhr
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,980
    edited September 2020
    I have some years experience playing guitar (+ 40) But I still don´t really distinguish between Good neck vs Good guitar.
    If a guitar feel great, but sound awful I´ll change pups until I´m satisfied, if a guitar sound great I´ll make the neck work for me, no matter what.
    Hard pressed, these days I´d say my weirdo Strandberg Boden Prog 7 fanned fret neck is my fave neck.
    I´ve talked to some people for whom the angular almost kinda octagonal neck shape is a "deal breaker", for me it only took a few hours of playing the neck, and I was a fan.
    There´s really been put some thought into this neck shape, and I like it, a lot.

Of more "normal" guitars, I´d pick the very heavy an fat mahogany plek dressed fretboard neck of my Framus Camarillo Custom,  or the scalloped fretboard ebony neck on my 1985 Ibby Destroyer dt 350.

Sorry to admins, for effing up, trying to upload pics of my Framus and Ibby.

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 2,039
    After I put jumbo stainless steel frets on my Les Paul I don't see me ever re-fretting a guitar with nickel silver frets again. The durability is just on another level. I can't recommend it enough. If I take fretboard/frets/setup out of the equation, two main aspects remain; neck shape and finish.

I have never felt anything smoother and faster than a Warmoth maple neck that I stripped, sanded with 0000 grit steel wool and finished with true oil and gun stock wax. Nitro can feel sticky sometimes and a high gloss poly finish likewise. Satin finishes feel great usually but the problem is that it loses its satin quality when you play it a lot, you polish it with your palm. 

As far as shape goes I really like the asymmetrical neck of my Gibson SG. It's chunkier (D shaped) on the bass side and slimmer (C shaped) on the opposite side. That gives a good support for the palm and also good reach for harder fingerings. Combine that with the fret access and you have a really comfy neck.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    edited October 2020
    My Gibson CS-336 has my current favorite neck followed closely by my Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Both were set up beautifully by Wildwood guitars. I've never touched the neck setup on the CS-336 and have only made one slight truss rod adjustment on the Les Paul. Both are excellent. I prefer the thicker neck carve of the Les Paul but the CS-336 has the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned. It's more than impressive to someone who's owned many dozen guitars.

The biggest thing for me is scale length, I play so much better on a Gibson scale neck. Both of my Melancon guitars  also have excellent back carves and fret board radius / string height but they have the longer Fender scale length. So ..... Gibson wins.

Damn. Now I need to go play my CS-336. It's calling to me.
    Post edited by inmyhands on
  • my broadcaster definitely falls into the "extreme" category, in terms of today's guitars.  it's narrow at the nut, which most modern players don't favor.  it's also REALLY thick.  yet it has a nice soft v profile, which allows thumbovers nicely in the lower positions.  the secret weapon here, is the 7-1/4-9-1/2" compound radius.  7-1/4" is GREAT for chords, the 9-1/2", which you really start to feel the difference around the 10th fret, is the whole game changer.  around the 10th fret, the neck gets a little fuller, but it works just great.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    edited October 2020
    Hmmmmm, I guess I'm kind of with DDave on this subject, I have several different makes and models, and I can adjust quickly to any of them. My 2 Strats have radically different neck shapes; the Blackmore Sig. has what Fender calls a U shape....it's the only "U shape" they make for Strat necks & I gotta say, it's freakin' killer.It also has the 7 1/2" radius, which most don't like I guess, but it just feels like home to me....I started playing on original scale Fender Strats so that's all I knew for years....the Hendrix Strat on the other hand, has what Fender calls a "C shape"....& it's definitely a bulkier feeling neck, but not fat.....also the more modern 9 1/2" or whatever radius.....feels great too. My Gibson Flying V.....just a classic Gibson style feel, whatever the radius is, & it feels awesome.Even though I just rambled about my Fenders, the V is really my main squeeze.Just a solid, no BS rock guitar & it's always refreshing whenever I go back to it vs my finicky Strats.I also had a Flying V Melody Maker that I sold a while back that had a really chunky neck, but it felt great too....I have kind of short stubby fingers but that neck actually felt really good.My modern Ibanez shred guitar ( the name is some long ridiculous numbers/letters mess ) , an S model under the Iron Label category, has a Wizard II neck.... & I gotta admit, that thing feels freaking killer too.Whatever it's scale, 24 jumbo frets on ebony fretboard...that thing is really nice, plays like butter & after a few minutes of playing on it, it actually makes me feel like I'm better than I really am....going back to, say, my Gibson V almost feels basic & primitive after playing that Wizard neck.....but whatever..... I have a few other guitars, a few acoustics too, I can play all of 'em.I guess I have no favorites.
    Post edited by Stitsel on
  • 60s style Slim Taper type necks are what I'm more used to. Although I've been getting really used to my Ibanez RT neck, I think it's called a Viper neck, it's pretty thin
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    edited October 2020
    i thought i'd post some photos of the Broadcaster neck, so y'all that aren't familiar with early '50s blackguard specs could get an idea of how really different they are.  

1)  a side profile of the 1st position.  it's approx 1" thick.  for perspective i have average sized hands.  i don't have a five fret 1st position reach:

2)  this is the best shot i could get of the 7-1/4"-9-1/2" compound radius.  this is not a new FCS invention, btw.  many early Esquires, Broads, and Nocasters had this.  also, you can clearly see how the neck is thinner horizontally at the nut, and gets wider all the way to the body joint:

3)  a side profile in the 10-12th position.  notice the neck is almost exactly the same thickness as the 1st position.  this is manageable, due to the soft-v profile, which transitions smoothly to the more familiar U profile, between the 7-10th fret.

these style guitars are really odd, wild beasts, compared to the kinda superstrats of the '80s, for instance, which many of us grew up with.  one thing about the neck, which is a modern FCS implementation, is that it's rift sawn maple.  flat sawn necks are stable laterally, but less so vertically, and quartersawn necks are the opposite of this.  rift sawn lumber is basically a compromise of these.  also, almost all original Fender blackguards are flat sawn, because of course, Leo was famously cheap, and flat sawn lumber makes the most efficient use of the trees' yield.  these old necks are extremely stable, because they're now 65-70 years old, and Leo was using old wood to begin with.  only time will tell if rift sawn necks are worth the $$, as they are a relatively new development.

Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    edited October 2020
    All my guitars have kind of different shapes and sizes, I don't really have a problem adjusting. Baseball bats can be a bit tricky but not something I couldn't get used to if the guitar is awesome in other ways.
    I have spent so much time on my RG550 (with an original Wizard neck which is much thinner than modern Ibanez necks) that I can't argue that's what feels like home to me.
    In spite of that the neck I've liked the most and was most comfortable was the one on my old Roadworn Strat, which I traded for my DC Lester. That thing was nice, it felt really broken in and just awesome to play. The guitar sounded overall awesome, especially unplugged, really resonant, but I didn't like the p'ups and wanted a Les Paul so it went. Still looking for one of those necks to put on a Strat I have lying around here at home...
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • check out Musickraft!!  they're the best aftermatket necks going!