Uriah Heep and Ozzy Osbourne drummer Lee Kerslake dead at 73

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• Oh fuck.

just a few hours ago, I was listening to Blizzard of Ozz, cause they actually just released the 40th anniversary edition, which features “previously unreleased” live tracks and all that. As I listened to it, I thought that a few months ago they had called his death as imminent and yet he was still with us. 

And just like that, now he is gone. 

RIP Lee. One of the best drummers of the genre, no doubt.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    Bummer for sure....

I'm just glad, it seems like he finally got some closure with the whole Ozzy/Sharon legacy drama bullshit....I didn't even really follow the whole story, but didn't he get something out of it that satisfied him, not long ago....? 
    Anyways, great drummer & happy he's no longer suffering.

RIP Lee 
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,292
    Whether or not the Osbournes want to acknowledge it, Kerslake was a critical component of a groundbreaking, landmark album in Blizzard of Ozz. Diary of a Madman too. As for Uriah Heep, that body of work speaks for itself. RIP
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    Truly bad news. He was great in both bands and his peers have a lot of good things they're saying about him as a person. One of the good ones.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,939
    Top class drummer and good bloke that will be missed by the metal world  and more, cheers Lee. RIP man.
  • His brief stint with Ozzy gets mentioned a lot, understandably so, as he and Daisley were the invaluable seasoned guys who were there to kickstart Ozzy's solo career (which makes even more disgusting the way he was treated afterwards by Ozzy and his wife). 
    I'll remember him first and foremost as Uriah Heep's drummer for almost 35 years and 17 studio albums...  Being on "Demons and Wizards" and on the live album of 1973 is more than enough to be regarded as "rock legend". 
    RIP. 

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,697
    This is really sad, but not unexpected - I'm surprised he hung on for so long TBH, he's been sick for a long time. 

Tough guy, great drummer, got to see him with the Heepsters some years ago, he could still play.
  • SunRedSunSunRedSun Posts: 482
    edited October 2020
    It's almost a month now, but this hit me really hard, as I was always a fan of Lee's - mainly through Bizzard of Ozz but of course Uriah Heep too... Great that in his mind he has settled with the shit that he was served by the OOs - especially rough when you think that this has never been solved properly. As much as I love both of these guys - it still drives me mad when I see the photo of Tommy and Rudy in booklet of "Diary of a Madman" - and all the copies over the world have it. Which - in times of "post-truth" - make people globally unaware that this record is elevated to another class just by Lee's exceptionally good drumming.

I'm glad I saw him on stage with Heep just once in 2006, just before he was ousted from the band. The concert was great and Lee was doing his amazing job stellar as always. It's a bit of a pity that over the next 14 years he didn't take some drastic steps to improve his health - but I also assume that he didn't really want to restrict himself and live the jolly life on - warts and all - despite the declining health. A brave choice to make, though consequences are pricey.

His drumming was both skilled, varied and powerful plus he had a really good voice that was crucial to Heep's trademark rich vocal cavalry in their songs.

I cried my bit over this departure, I know now how deep this music sunk into me over the years... Thank you Lee, have some blast with Randy again.
    Post edited by SunRedSun on