I was blind and now I see (sorta NGD content).

About 5 years ago an original Charvel 4M from 1988 came for sale in my area. These are beyond rare here, I had never seen one, to be fair, and the only models of that brand around here are the modern, brand new of the shelf stuff at the local store. I am an old time fan, I played a close cousin of it back in the states around 25 years ago, that my bandmate owned and that foolishily I didn't buy from him.

The kid selling it was in serious need of cash and gave it to me for less than $100 US dollars. The neck and body were in astoundingly good shape for a 30 year old guitar, pretty much in mint condition, but the floyd and a few other hardware parts had definitely seen better days.. Because the floyd was busted, it wouldn't say in tune, so I quickly forgot about it since I have other guitars.

Anyway, last week my guitar tech called me. He is moving to another city (which totally sucks btw, cause he is my friend and good techs are as rare as Charvels here.) so he told me that if I wanted him to look at something, now was the time. So I took him this one expecting he was gonna suggest replacing the bridge.

Luckily, this guy is good at his game. He fixed the bridge, with assorted parts he had laying around. He then did a complete setup and pretty much handed me a total 80's guitar god axe. This thing totally rips now.

One thing I can say now is that those three mini toggle switches and the jackson mid boost circuit are worth the price of admision alone, or they would be if it wasn't for the killer neck, too. In the past, I never bothered with the middle pickup (because, RB and Yngwie). This thing has made me realize i am not them. What's unique about this is that you can turn all three pickups at the same time, or any combination of the three you want. Since this isn't a usual feature of a strat, I had never realized the potential. I swear to god, using the middle at the same time as any of the other two, along with the preamp, gives me a sorta, kinda Schenkerish / Uli cocked wah tone. I couldn´t believe my ears.

Still in the honeymoon phase, of course, but so far I am totally in love.

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,293
    Congrats, and play it in good health!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Enjoy.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Have fun.
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,807
    Killer guitarra. I used to play that model back in the day. 

Everything is good on it. 

Enjoy! 
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    I remember I was going through a guitar-less period over 20+ yrs ago & a good friend/neighbor of mine loaned me one of these, it was blue though, & it said "Charvette" by Jackson or something like that on the headstock....so, maybe not the same exact guitar, but it looked absolutely the same....the 3 tiny PUP switches could get some cool sounds....

Hope you enjoy! 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,936
    Nice classic superstrat, congrats! 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    I used to own a mid 80's Charvel with a Tele shaped body and two humbuckers in a color very close to yours. Maybe the same. Mine was pretty faded. It played super fast and sounded super wicked. Enjoy.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,323
    edited August 2020
    Killer guitarra. I used to play that model back in the day. 

Everything is good on it. 

Enjoy! 

Hard to argue. This is so far proving to be among the best guitars I have ever played, and luckily, it's mine. I have barely touched the others this week, and it is inspiring to play, which is always a good thing.

inmyhands said:
    I used to own a mid 80's Charvel with a Tele shaped body and two humbuckers in a color very close to yours. Maybe the same. Mine was pretty faded. It played super fast and sounded super wicked. Enjoy.

The neck is a beautiful thing, I can say that. It might be as good as (gasp) the one on my Strat, which is a Warmoth compound radius (12-16, iirc) and which is a beautiful thing as well and probably the best neck I have ever played, period.

Also, the sounds on this thing... Just breathtaking. This is not even the highest rated model, I think those were the Model 6 (basically a Jackson Soloist with a Charvel decal) and the 750 (the infamous Les Paul killer). But as far as full strat bodied Chavels, this is allegedly the best one of the production models, and I can see why.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • This thread reminds me of the fact that I have never owned a H/S/S superstrat but am thinking that might be my next purchase when I get back to the US from Thailand... maybe for an Xmas present.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,323
    This thread reminds me of the fact that I have never owned a H/S/S superstrat but am thinking that might be my next purchase when I get back to the US from Thailand... maybe for an Xmas present.

The thing is, I have always wanted an HH super strat, and oddly enough that's the one thing I don't have. I have three gibson style ones, all HHs with the tunomatic bridges, and two SSH super strats. No true SSS strat either, and of course I want one too. Aside of my other strat, which I assembled myself, none of the others were planned. They all came to me, offered by friends over the years.

I highly recommend this model if you can find one in good shape. They are well under a grand in the Charvel Classified groups on Facebook. I have noticed some guys replace the jackson bridge with an original Floyd, and I might do that myself at some point, but so far no need for it.
  • This thread reminds me of the fact that I have never owned a H/S/S superstrat but am thinking that might be my next purchase when I get back to the US from Thailand... maybe for an Xmas present.

The thing is, I have always wanted an HH super strat, and oddly enough that's the one thing I don't have. I have three gibson style ones, all HHs with the tunomatic bridges, and two SSH super strats. No true SSS strat either, and of course I want one too. Aside of my other strat, which I assembled myself, none of the others were planned. They all came to me, offered by friends over the years.

I highly recommend this model if you can find one in good shape. They are well under a grand in the Charvel Classified groups on Facebook. I have noticed some guys replace the jackson bridge with an original Floyd, and I might do that myself at some point, but so far no need for it.
    Any chance you could post a video or sound clip?  The last (and maybe only) H/S/S guitar I played and liked was a Fender Floyd Rose strat, and that was ages ago but the variety of tone stuck with me.  For some reason I've always looked at humbuckers and single coils as an either/or kind of thing, and I've been happy with that until recently.  But having been stuck with my strat here for awhile, I've come around to realizing that I don't often use the bridge pickup and that a good H/S/S strat would be great for tonal flexibility.  This thread really piqued my interest; I may even venture out to one of the several guitar stores here in Bangkok to see what's on offer.

• Any chance you could post a video or sound clip?  The last (and maybe only) H/S/S guitar I played and liked was a Fender Floyd Rose strat, and that was ages ago but the variety of tone stuck with me.  For some reason I've always looked at humbuckers and single coils as an either/or kind of thing, and I've been happy with that until recently.  But having been stuck with my strat here for awhile, I've come around to realizing that I don't often use the bridge pickup and that a good H/S/S strat would be great for tonal flexibility.  This thread really piqued my interest; I may even venture out to one of the several guitar stores here in Bangkok to see what's on offer.
    Ah, I remember those Strats. The were cool, I always wanted one, to be honest.

I also remember seeying those Heavy Metal "Strats" that pawn shops couln't give away back in the 90's when Grunge hit and now they are collectible items. Sigh. How little I knew.

I can do a video, I suppose. But probably not until the weekend. Lot's of work at the office right now. Any tone you are looking for? I play mostly dino stuff, so If you are looking for something with more / less gain tell me and I'll try to dial it accordingly.

• No hurry at all, just curious and thanks for considering making a video.  I like all the classic Dino tones, tonal faves are Frank Marino's Agora tone, Trower 70s/80s, Uli and Schenker (until he switched from Gibson).  
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    edited September 2020
    Those old school Charvels always starts my GAS! Congrats on bringing it back to life :)

I once got the chance to play around on a guitar with mini switches for every p'up, an HSS BC Rich, late 80s model I think, it is indeed a massive sound :sunglasses: 
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • Those old school Charvels always starts my GAS! Congrats on bringing it back to life :)

I once got the chance to play around on a guitar with mini switches for every p'up, an HSS BC Rich, late 80s model I think, it is indeed a massive sound :sunglasses: 

Thanks. I am still quite happy with it. It has been my default go to guitar for weeks, which has been totally unexpected cause I usually go fro my strat as first choice.

No hurry at all, just curious and thanks for considering making a video.  I like all the classic Dino tones, tonal faves are Frank Marino's Agora tone, Trower 70s/80s, Uli and Schenker (until he switched from Gibson).  

I still owe you that video. Oops. Hopefully soon! Work has been crazy lasdt couple weeks!!