Two Rock

bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
edited July 2020 in Amplifier Discussion
any of y'all ever play a Two Rock?  i love the way they sound, and judging from the tones John Mayer and Eric Gales get from them, they deliver the goods live, big time.  i'm interested in any and all experiences.  i've been offered a deal on a Two Rock Burnside or Cardiff, my choice, and i'm giving it a bit of thought.
Post edited by bourbonsamurai on

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,272
    They still getting north of $4K for them?

No. Never played one. They were one of the first boutique brands of the 90s along with Matchless, Bruno, Top Hat, Dr. Z, Bogner, and Soldano. But they weren't based on an AC-30 like the Matchless, Bruno, and Top Hat, nor were they based on a Dino sound like the Bogner and Soldano.  They were in that cleaner, Fender/Dumble area that guys like Robben Ford, and Larry Carlton wanted.  Not my thing at all.  I bought a Bogner.

And they were THE most expensive amp of that era NOT named Dumble.

Could see why it would appeal to you, though, with your love for Blackface Fenders.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    edited July 2020
    They still getting north of $4K for them?

No. Never played one. They were one of the first boutique brands of the 90s along with Matchless, Bruno, Top Hat, Dr. Z, Bogner, and Soldano. But they weren't based on an AC-30 like the Matchless, Bruno, and Top Hat, nor were they based on a Dino sound like the Bogner and Soldano.  They were in that cleaner, Fender/Dumble area that guys like Robben Ford, and Larry Carlton wanted.  Not my thing at all.  I bought a Bogner.

And they were THE most expensive amp of that era NOT named Dumble.

Could see why it would appeal to you, though, with your love for Blackface Fenders.
    the burnside model is a repro of a wide panel tweed fender.  30lbs, 18w, 2x6v6, WGS 12" speaker, solid pine cab.  i'd like a Bloomfield Drive, but it's too expensive, and i have no practical use for it.  giving me a hard think, here.  list is $1800, and i could get it for $1300.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
    you gave me some perspective here, Dave.  i appreciate it.  i won't pursue the deal.  thanks
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,272
    Wasn't trying to talk you out of it, especially if you like it.

Was just noting that they were going for over $4K at a time when you could get a the others I mentioned for between $2500-$3500.  Two-Rock's are supposedly really great amps -- if you want that style of amp. It just wasn't a Dino style amp, so it wasn't for me. 

FWIW, now that I think about it, I also seem to recall they had a rep for being comparatively unforgiving compared to squishy, gainy, EL34/EL84 amps, which tend to mask certain technique flaws.  
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Wasn't trying to talk you out of it, especially if you like it.

Was just noting that they were going for over $4K at a time when you could get a the others I mentioned for between $2500-$3500.  Two-Rock's are supposedly really great amps -- if you want that style of amp. It just wasn't a Dino style amp, so it wasn't for me. 

FWIW, now that I think about it, I also seem to recall they had a rep for being comparatively unforgiving compared to squishy, gainy, EL34/EL84 amps, which tend to mask certain technique flaws.  
    yes they are definitely unforgiving as hell.  my decision to not take the deal is based on the fact that i don't really need it, and the deal isn't good enough for me to flip the amp.