NOD

M11M11 Posts: 865
New Overdrive Day...

I got myself a JHS Bonsai overdrive!
I've never been much of an overdrive guy, I once had an Ibanez TS7 many years ago that I used to "replace" the ugly distortion of my solid-state amp that I had for many years, and since I didn't have a tube amp until I got the Tiny Terror I've never really "properly" used an overdrive.
The cool thing about the Bonsai is that it clones the circuit of 9 overdrive pedals and you can select which one you use with the bottom-right selector switch. After some playing, I ended up settling on the classics (OD1, TS808, and TS9) as my favorites.
I've been using it with the Tiny Terror and it does the job of bumping the mid-range, or since the amp is already "mid-rangey" it sounds more like it removes some bassiness. Doesn't make much of a difference when playing riffs and rhythm but single-note lead playing sounds a lot fuller.

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,597
    Oh well that looks really cool.....and very versatile to. Congrats on that one!
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,310
    yeah, that looks like something I would enjoy immensely.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    Yep. You've been playing quite awhile know.

Definitely time to learn how to drive.

If this pedal delivers good representations of the drives it's attempting to mirror it could be considered a great pedal for taking a course on overdrives. It covers many of the classics.
  • DargavelDargavel Posts: 614
    I have one of those too! Incredibly versatile. Does a great job as a solo boost into a crunch channel or into a clean amp. I'm partial to MSL and the Keeley mod positions, but I use the 808 a lot too.