Darrel Braun's first-time/real-time look at the Positive Grid Spark

I subscribe to Darrel Braun's YouTube channel because he does a lot of good reviews and myth busting. He just received his Spark.
Mine arrived over the weekend, and I can confirm, what he goes through here in this video, in real-time, is pretty much exactly what my experience was. It really is this easy and intuitive. 

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• M11M11 Posts: 865
    Pretty similar to my experience as well, although he didn't show that you can also search for any backing track (or any video for that matter) that's on YouTube and play along to it. I usually search for the many isolated instrumental tracks taken from the original mixes that are all over YouTube and then save them to my favorites.
    The only part of the Spark that I found a bit underwhelming was the Smart Jam feature, probably because it wasn't made for the kind of music we like to play, or the AI has not been perfected yet. If I play a simple Dino riff the bass would add some odd notes here and there (or maybe I'm just a control freak and I have an idea of what the bass should play beforehand). It'd be great if you can have the option to mute the bass.
    All that said, the Spark sounds great, and you can plug it straight into a USB port on your computer and it works as an audio interface. 
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,939
    what was your delivery time like? I have heard there are a lot of unhappy people out there still waiting after many months, and still no uk release date to I believe.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
    what was your delivery time like? I have heard there are a lot of unhappy people out there still waiting after many months, and still no uk release date to I believe.
    Ordered Dec 8, received June 16.  Seems, though, that if you say you're gonna review one on YT, they'll send it to you quick and free -- though you may get charged if you want to keep it. 

As for the Smart Jam, the thing is that they CAN update that software and improve it, and we can then upload the changes. Whether they DO or not, who knows?

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    In my case, I pre-ordered the early bird deal in October and it arrived mid-February before the virus made it to the Americas. Mine was supposed to arrive by Christmas 2019 but apparently the Positive Grid folks couldn't keep up with the unexpected demand.
    So here's a video about updating the software.

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,190
    I'm about a half-inch away from pulling the trigger on one of these.Put my Yamaha THR10X up for sale on the local Craigslist.Regardless, I think I need one of these....
    Long as you can wait 6-12 months for one.

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,310

This. The amount of complains I am seeing as far as delivery times is the worst I have ever seen.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,798
    Back in the day, amp where "practice amps" because they where not powerfull enough to gig with. Knowadays, even that toy can gig, because many people play just DI.

That's not for me; my guitar room is fulled with a good pedalboard/mooer radar, a pc with internet connection and a sound system, so I can play earphones or powered. I can play my music, or backing tracks on the net. So I have everything the Spark does.

BUT, I consider it a good guy, with cool features and sounds, and easy to use. Simply, I don't need it.
    Here's another nice Spark video review that focuses on its intended use as a practice amp instead on focusing on tones:

• LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,781
    edited July 2020

An FYI on Spark delivery times. I ordered one on July 1st, and it showed up today. They seem to have fixed their supply chain issues.  
    Post edited by LerxstFan on