Eddie Trunk on the disappearance of John Sykes

Nothing new here, really, but it's a recent take on the situation.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    I don't truly know how royalties and such work, but I can't believe he's making enough from his past body of work to be surviving after all this time.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    He gets half of all of the WS87 royalties, and that has been enough to live on very comfortably (without working) since 1987.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Agreed,  John Sykes is a multi Millionaire who has been rather clever with his money, his place as one of the finest rock guitarists in history is secure, I can imagine that he is "demanding" character and he can do things as and when the mood takes him, we might want a lot our heroes to be still out there and giving it large, a lot of them just don't want or need to any more, the sad thing is, in the quality of those to replace/follow them (in the main) has been a tad lacking.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,908
    I think Coverdale once said that John was the guy who had played with Whitesnake the less, and that had made the most. 87 made them both millionaires.
  • Understand he was clever enough to secure song writing,  performance .....and crucially publishing credits, in his deal w Coverdale.  Has had a divorce though I believe which may have dented the pile a little
    but if you don't need to work you don't need to work
    True, but wealth also gives you the ability to put our whatever you want without much in the way of consequences. 

And 20 years ago (when he put out his last solo album), he was far too young to retire.  You wonder if a guy will look back and say "why did I waste all of that time?"  If he'd put out an album every TWO years, that would have been 10 Sykes albums we never got.  There could have been Blue Murder reunion tours (at least in the last 10 years).

It's not like Page who was never going to top his Zeppelin output, so he effectively retired. Sykes was in his PRIME. And he's wasted 20 years of it. And to an extent, he never got his due as the guitar god he is. But that's now on HIM. He's had a zillion opportunities to pick up the gauntlet, and has failed. 

However if you think about it a lot of us would love to be able to retire early and do "whatever" we want in life, at the end of the day it was his "job" now we probably all can wax lyrical and say the classic never gonna stop till I die mantra but if you could give up your job and never had to worry about money, we do it. John Sykes has already left a mark that few will ever achieve, sadly there could, should and maybe yet still be more so I do appreciate your point.
    I'd still want to do something creative. Boredom is a killer. 
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 735
    The thing I don't understand about Sykes is that he is clearly passionate about music...you can hear it and feel it the ways he sings and plays. Not expressing that passion is a life killer...
    So unless he has lost that passion I can't imagine how he could be happy and fulfilled regardless of his money situation. 
  • The other thing is he doesn't appear to even jam or gig locally 
    The other thing is he doesn't appear to even jam or gig locally 

Tony Franklin said they were jamming on some Blue Murder stuff in the past couple of years, but nothing came of it.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    Blue Murder would be the only thing I would be really interested in seeing and hearing him do. I am moderately interested in his latest solo album....but I wasn't blown away by what I heard. I saw Blue Murder in late '89 in a club here in Raleigh...it was a very small club to. They were amazing. That band with that first album along with the Thin Lizzy record are the best things he has ever done. 
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,597
    I prefer the Bratta way of quit. 
    He's consistent on not playing anymore. 

I don't understand what Sykes does, ruining his own name.