Country Music the PBS special

I'm not sure if this has been posted about, but the Ken Burns documentary "Country Music" is excellent and can be streamed from the PBS app. Living in the Nashville area it was especially interesting to me as the old Ryman theater where I've seen so many great acts, was the centerpiece of Nashville country music venues. The 8-part series starts with very early country music stars like Jimmy Rogers and Hank Williams and ends with more recent acts like Vince Gill and Garth Brooks. I don't care what music you listen to, you will enjoy this PBS special.

Comments

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,542
    i loved it, and i'm due for a rewatch. thanks!
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    Oh yeah, I watched the whole thing, some episodes twice. My in-laws gave me the companion book, a HUGE tome, last Christmas. I'm thinking about investing in the Blu-Rays.

Of course, it focuses very much on the big names, like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and Loretta Lynn. But learning about the deep roots of the Carter Family, the showmanship of Bob Wills, and even Bob Dylan's Nashville tenure, those were the bonuses for me. I loved Marty Stuart's story about meeting Connie Smith as a teenager, vowing to one day marry her, and then he actually DID IT!

Highly recommended.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!