Stereo Amp Setups.

I've gone almost totally stereo. I blame part of it on my 12 string Ricky that just sounds like a wall of sound when played through two amps. Throw in the "Not Allowed to Use Drugs" part of my contract with my employer and the spacey qualities of a stereo amp setup becomes just that more important.

A pair of identical amps are the most important part of this rig. The pair of amps having ground switches is the next major part. After that it comes down to power isolation to reduce / omit ground noise and pedal board effects designed specifically for stereo. There aren't that many out there but, with a lot of searching, you can find at least one excellent example of every effect other than "gain" pedals. I consider gain pedals to be almost like a part of the mono instrument going in so this doesn't matter to me. There are excellent stereo Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Echo, Phaser and Flanger pedals out there. It's been over thirty years since I've had a joint but this setup brings me damn close.

Anyone else getting into / exploring the possibilities of a stereo amp rig.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
    edited April 2020
    inmyhands said:
    A pair of identical amps are the most important part of this rig. 

I never wanted two identical amps.  While I'm sure that sounds good, I always felt MORE dimension could be achieved with two amps that compliment each other.  And on a certain level I think I even proved it.  My Wolf Hoffmann stereo Marshall is quite literally two INDENTICAL amps, in that two power amp sections share one preamp.  It indeed sounds marvelous -- and pure Marshall.  But it doesn't sound as multi-dimensional as blending two different amps that have different tonal characters.  
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 2,038
    I go stereo with my Marshall JMP 50 Lead and my BluGuitar AMP1 on my pedalboard. I have it set up with Lehle Little Dual splitting the signal before the delay and reverb pedals. One then goes straight to the Marshall and the other through the delay and reverb into the Blug. Not true wet/dry since the Blug still has some of the dry signal, but it makes it sound huge. Another good thing is that I can leave the Marshall at home, only bring one cab and play with the Blug without having to re route my pedalboard. 
    edited April 2020
    If I end up getting the Amp X, I might try running it in stereo with the Amp1. Though it's likely overkill -- especially being in a two guitarist project now -- I almost certainly will not be running stereo.

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,798
    I'm waiting hot for the blue amp. 

Anyway, I would love a simply plexi style Blug. 
    No need for the Mesa/fender thing (in my case). 
    Anyway, I would love a simply plexi style Blug. 
    The Amp1's Vintage channel is based on a Plexi. And with Amp X you can assign whatever Amps you want.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,798
    edited May 2020
    Yes. But ampx has builtin effects. 
    Post edited by eduardoritos on
    edited May 2020
    Not sure why that's a problem for you, but I don't think you don't have to load them. You certainly wouldn't need to use them.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,310
    If simplicity is the main concern I think that new Blug might be overkill for Eduardo. The original one might be more than enough.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    stereo rigs can become a real rabbit hole quickly enough.  i've really been digging my wet/dry setup, though.  i do agree with Dave that it helps if the amp character varies somewhat.  even a simple two amp rig can become a nightmare if you're in a shitty venue with shaky power.  add 60 cycle hum to that mix, and you'll be unplugging shit real quick.
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 852
    edited September 2020
    How can I use something like an Ernie Ball volume/pan pedal for a stereo setup? I tried it years ago with a Marshall and 5150 and the noise was awful.
    Post edited by RoadRacerX on
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    edited September 2020
    Almost all problems with noise in a stereo amp set up is caused by either power supply or ground loops. There are multiple devices offered to remedy this problem. Some work better than others.

1). Y boxes with isolation transformers, (Lehle or Voodoo Labs for example). These offer a decrease in stereo noise but never get your set up back to the same back round noise level as a mono rig.

2). Using amps that offer ground switching. Usually left / off / right. As long as you never disconnect the amps from each other, (connected through your stereo signal chain), you can set one of the amps grounds to off, (no ground), and use the single ground of the other. For safety I prefer setting one to left and the other to right just in case I disconnect them for some reason and don't want to die.

The Furman AC-215A does every type of isolation, conditioning and protection you can get from a power supply to two individual amps. One power input from your home service and Two absolutely clean, conditioned, protected and isolated outputs to plug each of your two amps into. By itself it will kill most of the noise associated with stereo rigs. When used with two amps that have ground selection switches you can create a stereo rig with no more back round noise than either amp used in mono.

Note*  Check the pricing before you buy. Some sites ask $200+, ( product street price was originally $259), while others price it below $150. I use Amazon, (thus the link).

Post edited by inmyhands on