new rig (and project) coming together

bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
edited April 2020 in General Guitar Discussion
i've been working like mad trying to get a new rig together for a project with an old friend.  i've flipped and sold a lot of stuff to make it happen, and it's taking shape.  first, guitars.  #1 is a 2013 Fender American Vintage Tele for the standard tuning stuff. i swapped the stock pickups for a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings, which are surprisingly versatile.  i rounded out the build with some old glendale hardware i've had for years.  for Eb stuff, i'm using a Fender Baja Tele, with a Duncan minibucker in the neck, and Broadcaster in the bridge position.  for open G stuff, the same exact guitar, but black.  lol  for amplification, i'm again using a deluxe reverb, but i've swapped the 6v6 output tubes for a set of JAN Phillips 6l6WGBs, and installed a solid state rectifier.  this provides about 35w of clean, tight blackface Fender tone.  it's not a Super Reverb, but nothing is gonna do that but a Super Reverb.  lol  an acceptable compromise.  for effects, just a boss tuner, a keely 2 knob compressor, a tubescreamer, a proco rat, and a boss DD3.  all this fits nicely on a pedaltrain nano+ board.  i'm using batteries, too.  no power supply or other foolishness to mess with, and cause noise.  i'm pretty excited about playing out again on the real, as opposed to just doing sub gigs and open mics and crap, which is all i've done since i left my last real band in 2007.  as far as the material, it's a lot of Texas and West Coast blues, plus some Louisiana Excello records stuff.  we are also doing quite a bit of older country music.  Ricky Skaggs, Emmylous Harris, Rodney Crowell, Townes Van Zandt, etc.  this is going to be a nice opportunity for me to stretch out a bit and cover a few bases, stylistically, as opposed to just hitting people over the head with the same shit all night long.  i haven't been this excited about music in 15 years or so.  i've really got some of the old fire back, and having an opportunity to play in a real project, whereby we actually make money, instead of losing money is a big plus.  nothing takes the wind out of the sails like a bologna sandwich.  lol  i believe so strongly in this project's potential, i've literally sold every piece of gear i own to make this happen, save what i've described in this post.  wish me luck, y'all.
Post edited by bourbonsamurai on

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,271
    edited April 2020
    Having a new project to immerse yourself in is frankly a godsend for fighting boredom these days under quarantine. It certainly has been for me.  I wish you success.

As you've mentioned trying to scale down your rig, you might want to check out the 4 channel Amp 1 which does very nice cleans as well as crunch tones. 

I'm pretty happy with the Amp 1, but honestly, next year he's coming out with the AmpX

https://www.bluguitar.com/amp-x/en/
    where you'll be able to load up specific amps (such as a Fender Super Reverb -- and 3 others) and whatever effects you want, into a similar box running through his nano tube technology.  I'm still looking into it, but if it does what I hope it'll do, I could scale my rig down to just this box, and perhaps a wah.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    i've never tried a Blug, but i have used Kemper, Fractal, and Line6 modelers.  those will not work for this project.  we have the B3 that ate Detroit on the gig, and that Leslie would swallow a modeler WHOLE.  we've also got a vox/harp player that's using a damn Bassman, so for this, i need to be able to move some air, onstage.  we are all very much trying to keep things live as possible, and rely as little on sound reinforcement as we can.  the goal is to use the PA for vocals and kick, only.  i've got a Soundcraft rig that will handle that, easily enough, and i can mix everything from my phone.
    edited April 2020
    also Dave, thanks for the well wishes.  we've got some good players involved, to the extent that i was frankly surprised when my phone rang three weeks ago.  nobody's called me for a full time, dedicated gig for quite a few years.  
  • FWIW, the Blug is a different approach from the Kemper, the Fractal, etc.  I used it for the DRG 20th jam, and it did a great job. 
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,597
    Awesome Cary! Sounds like a blast. Anyone I know in this project? WIth the quarantine going on....any idea when you guys will get to play out? Many people are saying clubs and bars may be closed for a long time. I hope not.
    edited April 2020
    Duojett71 said:
    Awesome Cary! Sounds like a blast. Anyone I know in this project? WIth the quarantine going on....any idea when you guys will get to play out? Many people are saying clubs and bars may be closed for a long time. I hope not.
    yeah.  i'll text you the lineup.  we're going to debut the project as soon as we all get back to work.  the idea is to already have everything together at the right time, just like the Hot Wings did years ago, post-K.  i'm definitely having fun woodshedding the material.  most of the tunes i already know, so i'm just charting arrangement notes in my comp book for those, but i've got about 15 songs to learn straightaway, and ain't none of them easy.  all the country stuff, basically.  there was a day when Albert Lee solos were not difficult for me, but that day was not yesterday.  lol
    another thing that is REALLY great about this is, for once in my life, i have the full support of my family.  my in laws actually like me, and respect the hard work and sacrifice it takes to earn a living playing live music.  life is a LOT easier when you get along with your in laws.  lol  
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,781
    This sounds really cool Cary. I'm stoked to see you excited about this new project. I hope I get a chance to catch you sometime. 
    edited April 2020
    LerxstFan said:
    This sounds really cool Cary. I'm stoked to see you excited about this new project. I hope I get a chance to catch you sometime. 
    thanks.  the thing i'm most excited about right now is the opportunity to put my work from the last 10 years to use in a live situation.  i've been doing a lot of chord and theory work, primarily using Ted Greene's excellent Chord Chemistry book, the goal being to extend the harmony and get more creative with my rhythm playing, so as to better support the song.  my inspirations here are Kirk Fletcher, Kid Ramos, and Little Charlie.  that's a pretty high bar to clear, lol.  also, it's one thing playing along to recorded tracks, and another to do it live, with other unpredictable humans.  relearning some country guitar is another plus.  i thought i had left that phase of my playing behind 20 years ago.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,781
    Kirk Fletcher is a monster. That's a good target!
    edited April 2020
    LerxstFan said:
    Kirk Fletcher is a monster.
    That's a good target!
    there's a video of Kirk and Joe Bonamassa floating around where they're trading fours, and he feeds Joe's licks right back to him, note for note.  incredible.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,802
    Great!
    Playing real live R&R it's one of best ways to feel yourself alive. 

I'm with Dave Blug AmpX. It's an actual amp, not a modeler, and it has everything you need. 
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 852
    Sounds great Bourbon! Good luck! B)
    thanks.  i give the project a 50/50 chance of having some legs.  between my partner and i, we are networked well enough to be able to hit the ground running, money wise. that never hurts.  we're too old to play for "exposure".  lol
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 852
    thanks.  i give the project a 50/50 chance of having some legs.  between my partner and i, we are networked well enough to be able to hit the ground running, money wise. that never hurts.  we're too old to play for "exposure".  lol
    Ain't we all! B)