Dimash

pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
Been listening to this guy a lot lately. He is from Kazakhstan, and first came to prominence after videos of his performances on a 2017 Chinese talent show appeared on YouTube. He was quickly hailed as the greatest voice in the world, which caught my attention. I can honestly say that I have never heard a better singer ever. No one else, in any genre, even comes close. The guy is a vocal monster. Here are a couple of clips of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF1O28JjFN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FlDMCo8LU
Post edited by pprovost on
I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,707
    edited March 15
    Jesus fucking christ, what an instrument.

I haven't heard a voice like that since The Diva in The 5th Element.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    Funny that you mention that, Dave. Dimash did the Diva Dance song as the second half of a performance on that Chinese talent show. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HYymUjIHE

I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,669
    Bloody hell! :o
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 599
    Wow, that was shockingly good.
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 593
    Extraordinary - Cant stop watching him - there are other versions of SOS that are even better !
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
    Just when you're sure you've heard the best of the best Dimash comes along. I'm trying to get the knot out of the center of my back and the tingles to quits running through my arms. I can't believe the way his performance just drew me in tighter and tighter. I've never had a singer's voice do that to me before. I need to crack my neck. Flex my legs.

Amazing.  So Amazing.
    I'm trying hard not to over-react, but this seems like a game-changer to me !!
    In what sense? He's a unicorn. And his voice will never translate to rock.  Anyone remember Minnie Ripperton? Sang notes only dogs could hear. Same thing.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
    But Minnie's baritone range really sucked.
    edited March 16

This was his cover of Vitas' song Opera 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKmU1J0l9g

And his performance of Unforgettable Day at Gakku, What he does near the end is impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52XDilf628

- Ritchie Blackmore

edited March 17
    In what sense? He's a unicorn. And his voice will never translate to rock.  Anyone remember Minnie Ripperton? Sang notes only dogs could hear. Same thing.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on his voice not translating to rock. I heard him do a cover of Queen's The Show Must Go On, and it didn't really work. For lack of a better description, it seemed like his voice was too confined by the vocal boundaries of the song, and maybe rock music as a genre. That isn't meant to be a diss on Queen or Freddie or rock music in general. I'm just saying that genres have boundaries.

- Ritchie Blackmore

I mean, what does he do after the talent show circuit?  Nothing about that voice translates to any kind of pop form.  Will people pay to hear him sing this kind of music for a whole concert? I have no idea  He could always find a home singing opera.
    edited March 17
    Yeah, I know what you are saying. I have heard him perform western pop songs before and it is kind of hit or miss. It is kind of funny in that part of what makes his voice so exceptional is that he is mixing operatic singing techniques with pop singing techniques.

Apparently, he is wildly popular in Russia and China, and his shows are sold out there. I wonder if it is because, in those countries, maybe pop music isn't as dominant there as it is here in the west. He did get offered a job with an opera company, but turned it down because opera has it's own boundaries, and he wanted to follow a different path.

He did his first show in the Americas back in December when he performed at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. The show did sell out, but I doubt it would do as well in other venues here, as it was very world music oriented.

- Ritchie Blackmore

You're right - he could end up being a one-trick show pony, but I got a huge emotional response to it.  To me it was just beautiful.

There are a lot of reaction videos and most are Pap, but this guy seems to be extremely technical and practical and his comments I found really interesting

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,862
    Incredible. Just incredible. A gifted voice indeed.

That said, unless he performs his own material, in his own genre, as others have posted here, I don't see him doing much more. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is a one trick pony, because I suppose his range would allow him a lot of options, and there's probably an audience, but he has to stick to his own world, imho.