Gary Moore Run for cover to After the war period

What do you Gary Dino period guys think of his output 85-89? For me Run for cover was his last decent rock album,  it’s not perfect but with Hughes’ contributions in some ways improved upon Victims for me, lifting the likes of Reach for the sky beyond what Gary himself could have done vocally.  After this one I became less enthusiastic,  Wild frontier I found dull apart from the title track and the loner.  Take a little time? What a terrible opening track after the might of previous openers:  DTMFAL, VOF and RFC itself.  

After the war I didn’t even bother with at the time, it’s not bad actually, though major re-tread on most of the tracks, the title cut in particular. I can see why he was getting bored with rock, I guess I’d cite Dunluce and The Messiah will come again as my favourites on the one.   

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    Take a little time wasn't the opener on in the US version of Wild Frontier. On mine, it opened with Over the Hills which worked great.

The problem with After the War was that the songs sounded too similar to those on RFC and WF. And Gary knew it. That's why he went for a blues album next. 

There is no one, perfect Gary Moore album.  Perfect example of a guy, whose music, in today's parlance, is a playlist
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • I forgot about Over the hills,  Corridors of power came close to being perfect?
    edited March 6
    No closer than Victims, IMO.  It's like with the Stones and Goat's Head Soup and Only Rock n Roll. Throw out the filler and you have one GREAT album instead of two albums with filler. And for Gary, that concept proved out on We Want Moore, which is basically the Best Of Corridors and Victims + the song Back on the Streets.  And even WWM had the cringeworthy Rockin; and Rollin.

If I repurposed just this content (not other Gary tracks), I'd come up with a virtual album playlist called . . . wait for it  . . . 

CORRIDORS OF THE FUTRE!  (or Victims of Power, if you prefer)

Murder in the Skies
    Shapes of Things
    Don't Take me for a Loser
    Wishing Well
    Victims of the Future
       SIDE TWO (if you like)
    End of the World
    I can't wait until tomorrow
    Devil in Her Heart
    Cold Hearted
    Law of the Jungle

Now I'm going to go make that playlist for real.

(I can do without Empty Rooms). 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 655
    edited March 6
    Ha.....fab, law doesn't work for me and I love Empty, otherwise agree!

PS if Cold hearted was meant to be filler @ track 3 side 2, it's the best filler ever. Like you it's one of my go to riffs, absolutely massive sounding on Corridors!
    Post edited by Bent out of shape on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,908

There is no one, perfect Gary Moore album.  Perfect example of a guy, whose music, in today's parlance, is a playlist

I can't agree more.

Yeah, I am partial to Empty as well. specially the original version.

• There is no one, perfect Gary Moore album.  Perfect example of a guy, whose music, in today's parlance, is a playlist

I can't agree more.

Yeah, I am partial to Empty as well. specially the original version.
    Yes, like the way it evolved from the original. The WWM version is good (Glasgow Apollo 84, I was fortunate enough to have been there) but I guess ike most folk I'd agree the ultimate version was Stockholm 87.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,908
    I forgot to mention that I absoultely worship what Gary does on The Messiah Will Come Again.

Yes, like the way it evolved from the original. The WWM version is good (Glasgow Apollo 84, I was fortunate enough to have been there) but I guess ike most folk I'd agree the ultimate version was Stockholm 87.

Words cannot describe how absolutely jealous I am of you right now.
    edited March 6
    Ha.....fab, law doesn't work for me 
    Law of the Jungle has some BADASS lead work. I definitely stole some licks from that song.  When was the last time you listened to if for its own merits?

• Ha.....fab, law doesn't work for me 
    Law of the Jungle has some BADASS lead work. I definitely stole some licks from that song.  When was the last time you listened to if for its own merits?

Love that you like it so much,  I'll give it a listen now.....I'm not disputing the quality of lead guitar, its just the song I recall I didn't care much for
  • Revisited,  for me law is the weakest track on Victims,  would take Hold onto love anyday,  even teenage idol!
    edited March 6
    Fair enough. Make your own Corridors of the Future playlist.  HOWEVER you cut it, you can take those two good albums and make ONE GREAT ALBUM.

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    edited March 7
    No closer than Victims, IMO.  It's like with the Stones and Goat's Head Soup and Only Rock n Roll. Throw out the filler and you have one GREAT album instead of two albums with filler. And for Gary, that concept proved out on We Want Moore, which is basically the Best Of Corridors and Victims + the song Back on the Streets.  And even WWM had the cringeworthy Rockin; and Rollin.

If I repurposed just this content (not other Gary tracks), I'd come up with a virtual album playlist called . . . wait for it  . . . 

CORRIDORS OF THE FUTRE!  (or Victims of Power, if you prefer)

Murder in the Skies
    Shapes of Things
    Don't Take me for a Loser
    Wishing Well
    Victims of the Future
       SIDE TWO (if you like)
    End of the World
    I can't wait until tomorrow
    Devil in Her Heart
    Cold Hearted
    Law of the Jungle

Now I'm going to go make that playlist for real.

(I can do without Empty Rooms). 
    I haven't heard a better summing up of those two Stones albums, period. They were each half a great album and for me the filler dragged each down a bit. That said, it's kind of easy to be disappointed after the Stones put out the Godly run of Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile (especially the supernaturally bulletproof Sticky). 

I usually just let both We Want Moore and Corridors play straight through. it's Gary playing during his insanely great, prime-EVH/Blackmore/Beck level peak, and at worse it's fun as heck.
    Post edited by Haffner on
    Haffner said:
    I haven't heard a better summing up of those two Stones albums, period. They were each half a great album and for me the filler dragged each down a bit. 
    Here it is:  It's Only Goats Head Soup

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0TUC9NYsR5N3Nln21RnYkd
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    I like that period of Gary Moore between Run For Cover and After The War quite a bit. Wild Frontier being the weakest of the three in my opinion. WF had some great tracks like "Over the Hills...", the title track, "The Loner" and "Thunder Rising"....but the album seems incomplete to me with some filler. It's good album...but not great. RFC is one of my favorite Gary Moore albums and ranks just as high as VOF and Dirty FingersAfter The War I also think is excellent and gets a bad rap. Underrated album. I also like that Gary was playing super strats with Floyds on them during this period.
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 655
    edited March 7
    Fair enough. Make your own Corridors of the Future playlist.  HOWEVER you cut it, you can take those two good albums and make ONE GREAT ALBUM.

100% !

For me,  after the title track Empty is the other big track on Victims. I get that the studio version was just a basic template for what was to follow live, but that middle solo alone, which he duplicated live every night, makes the song a key part of the LP for me.
    Post edited by Bent out of shape on