Michael Schenker and Alex Lifeson

2»

Comments

• I'll certainly say he's a fantastic lead player. Some of Tony's solos are very melodic and memorable. Others tend to just blow by (me, anyway). Above all else, his style and his tone are instantly recognizable. That's what every working guitarist seeks. You can be as slow as Leslie West or as fast a Yngwie, if you have that, nothing else really matters.  

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    edited February 14
    =
    Listen to "Neon Knights" or "Over and Over". Those solos are great art. 

I could wax lyrical endlessly, he belongs to my holy trinity of guitar heroes (with Uli and Schenker). 
    Preach on, Vincent! War Pigs, Heart Like a Wheel, Heaven and Hell (Live Evil version), Lord of this World, You Won't Change Me, Lonely is the Word, Computer God, Warning, N.I.B...
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,894
    I love a lot of soloing styles, even from the so called shred players. Friedman, to name someone whose name has already been mentioned on this thread, is great on Rust in Peace. His solo on Tornado of Souls is epic, memorable and tasteful. Some of the stuff he did with Jason Becker and on his own is great too.

But then I listen to Uli, who he obviosuly listened a lot and took a lot from, and I am blown away in some other level. Cast Away Your Chains, to name a song... I was devastated the first time I heard that. And then we look at modern, technical players... let me tell you, nothing those guys play can grab me the same way.

There's beauty in simplicity. Iommi does some things that nobody else does better, even if you play the same notes. Same with say, Angus Young. Not the most skilled player, but when I listen to his leads on the entire Let There Be Rock album, there's a feel of danger, balls, and in the end, it sounds fun.
  • Stitsel said:
    I would say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath showed just how great an all around guitarist he is  ;)
    Ha...indeed! it's just that Heaven is one of my favourite guitar albums ever.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,590
    For me, the best part of a rock guitar solo is the pentatonic melody on solo #2 (non slide) on Man on the Silver Mountain, On Stage version. Only that phrase worth the full album. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    edited February 14
    For me, the best part of a rock guitar solo is the pentatonic melody on solo #2 (non slide) on Man on the Silver Mountain, On Stage version. Only that phrase worth the full album. 
    YAY! LOVE THAT SONG AND SOLO!!!

Stitsel said:
    I would say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath showed just how great an all around guitarist he is  ;)
    Ha...indeed! it's just that Heaven is one of my favourite guitar albums ever.

YAY again!!

I love a lot of soloing styles, even from the so called shred players. Friedman, to name someone whose name has already been mentioned on this thread, is great on Rust in Peace. His solo on Tornado of Souls is epic, memorable and tasteful. Some of the stuff he did with Jason Becker and on his own is great too.

But then I listen to Uli, who he obviosuly listened a lot and took a lot from, and I am blown away in some other level. Cast Away Your Chains, to name a song... I was devastated the first time I heard that. And then we look at modern, technical players... let me tell you, nothing those guys play can grab me the same way.

There's beauty in simplicity. Iommi does some things that nobody else does better, even if you play the same notes. Same with say, Angus Young. Not the most skilled player, but when I listen to his leads on the entire Let There Be Rock album, there's a feel of danger, balls, and in the end, it sounds fun.

TRIPLE YAY!!!! I adore the solos on LTBR, especially the title track, Problem Child, and Whole Lotta Rosie. Angus is the BALLS!!!

Post edited by Haffner on
  • For me, the best part of a rock guitar solo is the pentatonic melody on solo #2 (non slide) on Man on the Silver Mountain, On Stage version. Only that phrase worth the full album. 
    Can you be more precise, which part?
    Can you be more precise, which part?
    I'll try it. 
    Sorry, I was the wrong song.

From 4:14 next four bars. 

• Sorry, I was the wrong song.

From 4:14 next four bars. 

I agree, love that lick!
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,894
    Haffner said:

TRIPLE YAY!!!! I adore the solos on LTBR, especially the title track, Problem Child, and Whole Lotta Rosie. Angus is the BALLS!!!

Totally agree. I find it quite impressive that. after al these years, the solos on Whole Lotta Rosie can still make the hair on my arms stand in such a way. Everything sounds right, the note choice, the guitar tone, the intensity. Modern metal bands can only wish they could do this.