Rainbow 1975

2»

Comments

• Good points, in terms of energy and engagement DP Paris 85 comes to mind.
  • Given how iconic his contribution was seems Ronnie came out of Rainbow with practically nothing.  

I’m re reading Mick Wall’s excellent ‘Symptoms of the Universe’ Sabbath bio. Wendy Dio is quite specific in her interview.  

Ronnie was completely broke when sacked by RB, they had $800 in the bank due to a small inheritance she had and drove to California to start a new life following the call from Bruce Payne.   When in Rainbow, she says RJD was on $150 a week, plus car and house.

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,894
    Given how iconic his contribution was seems Ronnie came out of Rainbow with practically nothing.  

I’m re reading Mick Wall’s excellent ‘Symptoms of the Universe’ Sabbath bio. Wendy Dio is quite specific in her interview.  

Ronnie was completely broke when sacked by RB, they had $800 in the bank due to a small inheritance she had and drove to California to start a new life following the call from Bruce Payne.   When in Rainbow, she says RJD was on $150 a week, plus car and house.

Wow. I find this so strange. I mean, we know how this business is, but Ronnie always had major songwritting contributions on all his projects. I am pretty sure he and RB have song credits for all Rainbow songs. If this is true (and I am not saying it isn't) I guess they were just keeping a front and RB kept the lion's share of the publishing.

In retrospect, I guess this is why Ronnie and Wendy did the same to their bandmates when they actually got their own project going. It's a "eat or be eaten" game out there. Not that I think it is cool they did it, but I suppose if I try to see things from their perspective, I understand it.

The irony (or hypocrecy, if you will) is that Ronnie claimed he was always cool to his fans because he was in a band with someone who wasn't (RB of course) yet the same didn't translate to the way he treated his bandmantes. I have read plenty of interviews with him from the Holy Diver / Last in Line era and he always would mention that Jimmy and Vinnie were his "best friends in the world". Years later and there's plenty of interviews with Bain in which he claims he knew they were fucked the moment they found out "his fucking wife was our manager".