Rainbow 1975

You forget how much of a chance Blackmore took ditching the biggest rock band in the world for these unknowns. Amazing confidence,  though of course he soon realised changes were required!

Comments

• They never looked happier.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,884
    edited February 2
    This was my first Metal album back in early 1976 (back when I was just coming off a year and a half obsession for the music of Elton John). I fell in love with the majority of the that album, but to me the songs that weren't so great dragged it down a little, and it pales next to Rising and Long Live Rock 'N Roll from an overall perspective (plus, is anyone completely happy with the way that disc SOUNDS? Mind you, I haven't heard a remaster since the first CD release).

Hearing that album made me grab up everything Purple...in fact, besides its being my introduction to Metal, Blackmore, and Ronnie Dio, it served to turn me onto even better stuff like Deep Purple In Rock, Made in Japan, and Machine Head.

I take issue with a LOT of Blackmore's line-up decisions, however I remain grateful that Blackmore did sack the other Elf guys for Powell and Bain (and later, Daisley). I think they all pushed each other to excellence, and the following 80s albums proved that. Notice how relatively little lead guitar Ritchie played on that debut compared to the long epic splendor of Gates, Kill the King, Stargazer, Light in the Black, etc. I think Cozy pushed Blackmore to that highest standard (just as Lord did in Purple), and the guitar world is a better place for it.

For decades the Rainbows with Ronnie Dio and Graham Bonnet was my absolute favorite band, and to this day Stargazer is probably my favorite song, period. Today I see Sabbath as an equal on my Hit Parader, but will never forget the first hearing of Man on the Silver Mountain...I couldn't get that song out of my head for years.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,696
    It's one of my all time favorite albums. Ronnie and Ritchie were magic together. 
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,674
    I may be in the minority here but I far and away prefer the first ST Rainbow album.  Just has better songs for me and as I have noted many times it is my favorite performance by both Blackmore and Dio together or separately.  While DP is my 2nd favorite band of all time over the past 10-15 I oddly find myself preferring Rainbow (all incarnations with the original 3 singers) to DP.

• In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,770
    Rainbow's first album is my favorite, with LLRNR as a very close second and Rising as a very close third.  But when I think "Rainbow", it's instantly "Man On The Silver Mountain" and "Temple of The King" that I'm hearing in my head. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,450
    I didn't realize Beau Bridges ever played drums for Rainbow.....
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 599
    Cant separate this and Rising as studio albums.

But to me  'Rainbow' means those Dio shows in the mid 70's when Catch the Rainbow live was the ultimate in rock performance and showmanship.  Truly epic, even more so than Stargazer. 

But to me  'Rainbow' means those Dio shows in the mid 70's when Catch the Rainbow live was the ultimate in rock performance and showmanship.  Truly epic, even more so than Stargazer. 

The Dusseldorf show from Live in Europe is one of my favorite songs and for me the best performance of it. There's so much emotion in the vocals and playing...even Bain's backing vocals seemed apropos.

I liked some of the Bonnet performances too, Ritchie would still rip out a killer here and there during that era imo.
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 599
    Haffner said:

The Dusseldorf show from Live in Europe is one of my favorite songs and for me the best performance of it. There's so much emotion in the vocals and playing...even Bain's backing vocals seemed apropos.

I liked some of the Bonnet performances too, Ritchie would still rip out a killer here and there during that era imo.
    The Dusseldorf version is the one in Live in Germany '76 I think and I agree, its the best version out there.  It was still good with Graham, but by the time the shows with Joelene Turner came around, it was no longer the focal point of the show and Ritchie would play only a short solo.

Thats not to say Ritchie couldn't still rip out an epic.  The main solo in this still raises the hairs on my neck and reminds me what a supreme stage performed Ritchie was

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    edited February 4
    Ritchie's best FILMED performance, IMO, is that San Antonio show (above). He was on fire that night, and really into his performance -- rather than one of his ambivalent nights -- like the Japan show from the same tour.  
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,891
    Those guys look so happy to be there. I can only imagine: MG, We are playing with Deep Purple's guy!! Are time is finally here!!

Only to be sacked the next month...

I love the first album, but to me, Rainbow has to have Powell. Rising is among my favorite recordings ever by, wll, anyone...
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 652
    edited February 5
    Ritchie's best FILMED performance, IMO, is that San Antonio show (above). He was on fire that night, and really into his performance -- rather than one of his ambivalent nights -- like the Japan show from the same tour.  
    Love that you feel that way re San Antonio, its important to me too and fab in places,  but i'd suggest not comparable to Munich 77 or TCJ. Btw I've heard a bootleg version of Tokyo 14th March 1984 and without that ridiculous octave effect sounds killer.
    Post edited by Bent out of shape on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    edited February 5
    I much prefer the Dio era MUSIC. And I'm also not talking about his tone -- though I love his tone in San Antonio.

However as a performer, for whatever reason, Blackmore is nowhere NEAR as animated in his performance, in Munich or Japan (IMO). 

I'd have certainly preferred he delivered his best FILMED performance with Purple or Dio-era Rainbow. I'm not even saying it's his best filmed playing. But of the live video performances I'm aware of, Blackmore seems his most energeticengaged, and into it in the Live Between the Eyes San Antonio video.  YMMV
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    edited February 5
    I remain overall utterly unimpressed by the JLT era Rainbow both live and in the studio. I practically worship the solos in Stone Cold...and that's mostly it. I loved the version of Spotlight Kid Blackmore played with White in "Rainbow"...and that was about it for that line up as well. No offense or disrespect meant to fans...to me Rainbow ended pretty much with Powell leaving.

To me the best filmed Blackmore was easily Purple Doin' Their Thing and Rainbow Munich. California Jam can be a lot of fun as well, though Blackmore wasn't exactly pristine there. This is also fantastic, and both nostalgic and ahead of its time:

Post edited by Haffner on