ALD?

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,748
    edited February 5
    When I say "better" I don't mean their styles. I mean at 20, Viv didn't have his vibrato down and wasn't as seasoned or as a mature, player. Whatever tone Viv may have had, we wouldn't know about -- he was told to run through the JCM800s he was given, and he did so. I think the guitar tones (NOT THE PLAYING) on the first two albums has not aged well at all. It sounds thin and brash (not in a good way) to my ears. 

All that said, by the time Campbell was 25, he was in the same class as anyone. By the time he was 30, he was irrelevant.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,897
    When I say "better" I don't mean their styles. I mean at 20, Viv didn't have his vibrato down and wasn't as seasoned or as a mature, player. Whatever tone Viv may have had, we wouldn't know about -- he was told to run through the JCM800s he was given, and he did so. I think the guitar tones (NOT THE PLAYING) on the first two albums has not aged well at all. It sounds thin and brash (not in a good way) to my ears. 

All that said, by the time Campbell was 25, he was in the same class as anyone. By the time he was 30, he was irrelevant.

Yeah, his vibrato wasn't exactly anything to write home about. Weird considering Gary was such a big influence on him.

Maybe it's the fact that I have heard those albums so muh and love them, but his tone has never bothered me, to be honest. I will concede that his actual tone (not the playing or the quality of the songs in them) got much better on the third album. I have heard live stuff from that era and the tone on those was way, way better too.

That last line (see what I did there?) is just awesome. Kudos hahaha.
  • I was surprised to read in the Blabbermouth article Haffner linked that Vivan Campbell said he couldn't play like Phil Collen in Def Leppard. I've always thought Collen was sort of a fake shredder and that Campbell was just as good, but also cooler. 
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • A few comments.  Not to excuse him but RJD in his time made little or nothing out of his 4 years in Rainbow.  Randy had probably not made much from Ozzy when he passed away.  I can't verify this but a friend who was around the inner Rainbow circle in the early 80s told me Blackmore laughed when hearing how much Coverdale was alleging paying Jon Lord in Whitesnake, claiming he 'paid Jimmy Bain more than that'.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,748
    edited February 5
    Collen is actually a better than you'd guess from early Leppard. Collen actually played G3 not long ago. Campbell was WAY better in 84 (than what Collen showed). BTW, this stuff is all captured in Viv's Alchemy profile: http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/15

Phil Collen needs to keep his shirt on.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    I was surprised to read in the Blabbermouth article Haffner linked that Vivan Campbell said he couldn't play like Phil Collen in Def Leppard. I've always thought Collen was sort of a fake shredder and that Campbell was just as good, but also cooler. 

He says that all the time. Which is nuts. Not to take anything away from Collen, which I don't dislike nearly as much as most folks around here (he showed up he can actually play on songs like Stagefright) but as Dave wrote in his alchemy profile, Viv can play circles around him.

This is a great showcase of Viv at his very best imho. Most of you have probably heard this a million times, but I never get tired of it. Guitar god Viv. Long extint  now.

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    Collen is a good, more than adequate player. Vivian with Dio was a Guitar God.
    edited February 5
    From Blabbermouth:

Guitar International: There was a recent interview with [fellow DEF LEPPARD guitarist] Vivian Campbell where he said he isn't challenged guitar-wise in DEF LEPPARD, and that you get all the good guitar parts. How do you respond to that statement?

Phil: Because it's all my shit. Vivian joined a band that I helped create. He's coming into my house! It's not all the good parts, it's the DEF LEPPARD sound that me and Steve [Clark; late DEF LEPPARD guitarist] created. We got together with [producer Robert] "Mutt" Lange, and there was already a sound in place. Also, we play all the hits live, which were written before Viv was in the band.

Guitar International: Are there hard feelings when he says something like that?

Phil: No not at all. Its just the ways it falls. I can't help it that all my shit sounds great!

Andy: Phil.....shut up. And leave the shirt on.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • I remember when Collen did G3, that was surprising to me. His top-speed alternate picking is full of non-notes and mucky muck to my ears, way less precise than anyone else who ever did G3.

That Blabbermouth interview is funny. Blabbermouth is such a disgusting mess but I gotta love it for times like this. 

FWIW I like Def Leppard, their hits are cool and the Mutt Lange production style is no joke.

My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • Haffner said:
    Phil: Because it's all my shit. Vivian joined a band that I helped create. He's coming into my house! 
    C'ept he was the new guy on Pyromania. The replacement for Pete Willis.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    I have to say, I saw Def Leppard on the Adrenalize tour. Both Phil and Viv got solo spots. Viv's was FAR more interesting. Mixture of melodic and insanely fast legato stuff. Phil was all machine gun picking. 
    And Viv managed to fall off the stage. He lived. 
  • I saw Viv on the LiL and Sacred Heart tours. Glad I did, cause that guy is gone.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Haffner said:
    Collen is a good, more than adequate player.
    I saw DefLep on the Hysteria tour. Phil was on fire that night - Monster shredding, throwing big shapes, crazy custom Jacksons. Proper guitar hero stuff.
    Steve Clark?  Coolest mofo in the room, and he knew it!
    I saw Viv on the LiL and Sacred Heart tours. Glad I did, cause that guy is gone.
    I missed the black Les Paul on the latter, but Vivian still sounded terrific on the Sacred Heart tour. I still adore about half that album...a lot.
    Snoogans said:
    Haffner said:
    Collen is a good, more than adequate player.
    I saw DefLep on the Hysteria tour. Phil was on fire that night - Monster shredding, throwing big shapes, crazy custom Jacksons. Proper guitar hero stuff.
    I liked Steve and agree, very cool Rock player. 

Collen never did much for me besides his more melodc playing (even then, I didn't think it was a particularly big deal). But that's just me, no offense to fans. And I haven't seen him live much, so I'm probably missing out. Would love to see him wear a shirt more often,

I saw Viv on the LiL and Sacred Heart tours. Glad I did, cause that guy is gone.

Green with envy here. I wish I could have seen that. I was probably still playing with my Masters of the Universe toys back then.

Snoogans said:

I have seen that live on the round video they did from that tour. 30 seconds in, it's clear Clark was the MVP in that band. Hysteria is when they lost it for me, but losing him was the real death blow for DL.