Ampire, a documentary about amps!

https://ampiremovie.com/

This looks like something we amp nerds might dig. :lol: 

Comments

• Looks interesting!
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,272
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, that will be good. Too bad none our biggest tone gods appear to be in it, but obviously still a must-watch.

And Metheny's hair is a MUST WASH.  What are you, the white Buckwheat?
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.

• And Metheny's hair is a MUST WASH.  What are you, the white Buckwheat?

I'd atendded a 4 day Metheny Seminar and he was mad hair every day but "worst" was the sensation tbat he's always floating on a strange mood and for some momdnts, he lands and again, fly. 

Incredible how he can make SING any gear, whit his own Pat voice. 
    :) 
  • Maybe he should swap the toothbrush strap lock for a COMB strap lock.

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    The hair just shows the wicked stress involved in playing jazz.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    Not sure "Black Eyed Peas" has a place in this movie.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,143
    Of all the people to ask about tone why Paul Gilbert? 
    He uses a clean amp with an overdrive and distortion pedals. 
  • Agreed. Gilbert is a lot of great things, but TONE isn't his primary asset. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    Yes. I agree on Paul Gilbert. The Best Chops. So So Tone.
  • On the other hand (now that I think about it) Gilbert is ALWAYS such a great interview, and is so well-versed in other players, he'll probably provide a really good, articulate perspective, even if his own tone is relatively indistinct. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • ya know in the last couple years, since he really committed to using single-coils in his signature Ibanez guitars, I kinda like Paul Gilbert's tone. It's recognizably single-coil in a way that I think sounds cool with his hyper-accurate picking. It definitely sounds like a clean amp with pedals, but I'm OK with that.

Maybe it's because Paul Giblert's whole musical project lately—which is like shred records except with these little songs that don't have a ton of overdubs—is itself kind of a weird thing, and somehow it fits with clean amp + distortion pedals. If you think of him as a really enthusiastic geek who likes pop music who can also shred at an insane level, it kind of fits.

I'm not even a huge fan of his solo albums, but I noticed his recent turn toward single-coil world, and I dug the change.
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • He still has both HB and SC Ibanez Firemen.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • right OK, the single coil ones are where I think he's on to something
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • That's fine and fair, and I never thought or said he "bad tone," (or similar).

What I said in his Alchemy profile (and stand-by as my opinion) is:

Paul’s gear choices add up to a tone that is clear (not overly gainy), satisfying, and effective, but not all that distinctive. The truth is that for all the mind-blowing guitar work, Paul Gilbert doesn’t really have one recognizable signature tone.  His tonal choices don’t enhance the most characteristic elements his guitar style in the way, for example, John Sykes or Zakk Wylde get sonic distinctiveness out of their Les Pauls.  
    -- David St. Hubbins.