red barchetta question

is Lifeson's chorused rhythm tone in this tune a Roland Dimension D?  

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
    edited January 2020
    The Dim D is very subtle, almost too subtle to be perceived to be a chorus effect. To my ears Red Barchetta is much more effected than that.  I think he was using a CE-1. He was kind of the guy who put Boss Chorus on the map.  If not a CE-1, it's probably some other early CE. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,781
    I remember one interview I read long ago where he said he used a Roland for his clean tones around that era, but I wouldn't think he used it on Red Barchetta. 
    According to Rush Wiki, Alex was using Hiwatt and Marshall amps with a Roland Digital Delay and a Loft Chorus (among other effects) for recording Moving Pictures. I've also read he used a Boss CE-1 as well. It was also written in a Guitar World interview that he was using a Roland Jazz Chorus for the Moving Pictures tour. I know some of the recording for the album was done outside as well. Somewhere, packed away in a box somewhere, I have more info on this. 
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
    edited January 2020
    The Exit Stage Left video shows him with Hiwatt heads (w/o the nameplates) on Marshall combos (as far as I can tell). He could have had a Roland Jazz Chorus stashed in there somewhere, but that's a clean sounding amp.  I think the EFFECT is Roland/Boss chorus (or perhaps another brand) rather than a JC-120 amp, because the crunch tone underneath the chorus (on the studio and live versions) still sounds British to my ears.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Yeah, his crunch tone is definitely from the Hiwatts and Marshalls. I am only mentioning what he has said in interviews and what different sites have on them. 
  • FWIW I'm pretty sure the Boss CE-1 is the exact circuit used in the Roland Jazz Chorus
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    FWIW I'm pretty sure the Boss CE-1 is the exact circuit used in the Roland Jazz Chorus

Ok. That's new for me. I like researching amplifiers and never ran across this. Then again .... I never thought to look for it. It would make sense in many ways.