NAD... Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee Combo

2»

Comments

• This is basically the reason I didn't go for the lunchbox, as the 50 watt is a little overkill for my actual needs. However, I have heard several guys say that, as the EVH's tone is all in the preamp, the power amp section makes the difference too subtle to make a big deal out if it. This is all hearsay of course, as I have never played one myself.

Yeah, I question that claim, there is a difference in the sound of the 6L6 version and the EL34 version.

Yeah. Sancho was quite verbal on that back when he owned both. That said, I understand the EL34 and the 6L6 versions are differently voiced, in ways that go beyond the actual power section. The lunchbox is closer to the 6L6, I have heard, but again this is all hearsay. I have only played the 6L6 and that one was stellar.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,344

This is basically the reason I didn't go for the lunchbox, as the 50 watt is a little overkill for my actual needs. However, I have heard several guys say that, as the EVH's tone is all in the preamp, the power amp section makes the difference too subtle to make a big deal out if it. This is all hearsay of course, as I have never played one myself.

Yeah, I question that claim, there is a difference in the sound of the 6L6 version and the EL34 version.

Yeah. Sancho was quite verbal on that back when he owned both. That said, I understand the EL34 and the 6L6 versions are differently voiced, in ways that go beyond the actual power section. The lunchbox is closer to the 6L6, I have heard, but again this is all hearsay. I have only played the 6L6 and that one was stellar.
    I believe he likes the EVH lunchbox though. See, if I could have only 2 channels on the EVH, the clean channel is the one I'd sacrifice.