NAD... Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee Combo

Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,319
edited January 9 in Amplifier Discussion

Had to be done... Amp modeling is not for me. I wanted downsize from a 2x12 cab and head, so I'm not really upset I sold my EVH 50 watt.

This Jubilee is a 20 watt beast, and to be honest, I have it on 5 watts at all times now, but at 20 watts it's way to loud on 3 for my apartment. Very simple panel, as per most Marshalls, from what I've read and heard from people who own or owned the original 50 and 100 watt model, these new mini ones sound virtually identical, same circuit and panel controls. The speaker is a Celestion G12 Greenback.

Plugging the Les Paul Studio, I traded the Headrush Gigboard for, into this amp has been tonal bliss. Only thing that sucks is that I have to get a few pedals again, namely wah and delay, maybe an overdrive, I think my Sully with the Duncan Balckouts creates enough higher gain to do without an OD pedal... I don't care for the amps gain set past 6.
Post edited by Gunner4Life on

Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    As if I didn't need amp gas these days...

Enjoy and play it in good health!
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,319
    Far be it from me to tell you not to get one. It's an awesome amp
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,969
    I played the mini head version of that a couple of years ago....holy shit was that thing feral... I doubt you need an OD for that thing, just pull that one knob out & crank that fucker......
    edited January 10
    Stitsel said:
    I played the mini head version of that a couple of years ago....holy shit was that thing feral... I doubt you need an OD for that thing, just pull that one knob out & crank that fucker......
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the tone when I pull the rhythm clip out, it also cuts the volume. When I ran the MXR Modified Custom Badass through my Shiva, it really turned up the gain, it was a nice gain, not can of bees buzzy gain, and most importantly it didn't change the overall tone.
    Post edited by Gunner4Life on
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,588
    You sound pretty pleased. That's the most important part. Congratulations.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,969
    Cool, the one I played was a head sitting on top of a 1960 4x12 cab so that probably made a big difference.....anyways, killer little amp, enjoy!
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,547
    I've been looking at the Mini Head version..  Kinda bouncing back and forth between it and  the Friedman Runt 20
    I wanted to get a Victory Kraken, but was looking for a combo, and it didn't come in a combo. The Runt 20 combo was also in the mix, as was the Orange Rocker 32 or 15, and the EVH 5150iii 1x12.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,588
    You have very wide ranging mixes.  :)
    inmyhands said:
    You have very wide ranging mixes.  :)
    Not really, I prefer EL34 British amps, and wanted a low power option, so the Kraken and Jubilee were the main onces, the Orange was a long shot, if I could afford several amps, I'd have an Orange somewhere. The EVH was familiar, and I know how good it is, but it lacked a low power option, and the lunchbox version has EL84 tubes. The Runt 20, again it's a low watt British flavored amp, but EL84s, the Runt 50 is one of my favorites, but no low watt option.
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 380
    I know you prefer EL34s but out of curiosity, how do the EL84s not meet your expectations?
    I know you prefer EL34s but out of curiosity, how do the EL84s not meet your expectations?
    I find them to be a little to bright
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    The EVH was familiar, and I know how good it is, but it lacked a low power option, and the lunchbox version has EL84 tubes.
    This is basically the reason I didn't go for the lunchbox, as the 50 watt is a little overkill for my actual needs. However, I have heard several guys say that, as the EVH's tone is all in the preamp, the power amp section makes the difference too subtle to make a big deal out if it. This is all hearsay of course, as I have never played one myself.

The EVH was familiar, and I know how good it is, but it lacked a low power option, and the lunchbox version has EL84 tubes.
    This is basically the reason I didn't go for the lunchbox, as the 50 watt is a little overkill for my actual needs. However, I have heard several guys say that, as the EVH's tone is all in the preamp, the power amp section makes the difference too subtle to make a big deal out if it. This is all hearsay of course, as I have never played one myself.

Yeah, I question that claim, there is a difference in the sound of the 6L6 version and the EL34 version.