Did Frank Marino tune his voice?

Hey, do any of you guys think it sounds sorta like Frank Marino's voice is being tuned (AutoTune/Melodyne/etc.) in this clip?

On the lyric "makes me wanna scream," I might be hearing the telltale sound of pitch correction, that sorta "deedley"quality to the vowels. You know what I mean? The link is cued to start right before the line I'm talking about, although there are other spots in the song where I might be hearing it also.

Curious to know if anyone else hears this. Just to be clear, I'm not saying he definitely did it. It sounds possible to me, but who knows. 

My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw

Comments

• Looks like my attempt to make the link start right on the lyric didn't work—anyway, the part I'm talking about is right at 1:31, on "makes me wanna scream." 
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,318
    I don't hear it. I 1:33 he makes a vocal inflection that may be what you are talking about....but that doesn't sound auto tuned to me. Vocally it sounds very natural to my ears.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    edited January 7
    I agree, on one quick listen I hear several spots where it sounds that is a bit auto-tuned, it is very slight though, probably the most apparent at 1:33.

I think the whole vocal track got that kind of sound you get when you auto-tune stuff. I think it is plausible as it is sort of a standard thing to do in the studio these days, you auto-tune pretty much everything wether it is needed or not. Just the way business is conducted, that is my understanding at least.

Don't know if I care though... I think it sort of messes up the quality of the sound a bit but doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the piece for me.
    FWIW Max Norman, according to himself, tuned all of Ozzy's vocals as early as the first solo albums. It was very time consuming and primitive but he pulled it off and those records are seen as some of the most iconic metal recordings ever, YMMV.
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,699
    I hear something odd, but not sure it's autotune or just the way the track was mastered.

That said, when you can play like that, I really don't care about the vocals LOL...
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    Yep, there's definitely a reedy sound/hiss on the vocals at 1'33, but I have no idea whether it's a plugin or something else in the production. As far as I can tell, his singing sounds pretty much like it already did 30+ years ago.