Riffs you've never mastered

I've still to learn the main Captain Nemo theme, only recently got  on top of Doctor Doctor live version lol. Probably many others.....eg LA connection . How about everyone else?

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,043
    I'm sure everyone else here can play this standing on one leg whilst drinking a pint blindfolded but for the life of me I can't get my fingers around the intro to Sweet Child O Mine.
  • Ha....struggle w that too!
  • M11M11 Posts: 815
    There are many, but off the top of my head, Finding My Way by Rush. I just can't get those pull-offs in correct time.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,872
    I still struggle with the "Take me Away" riff, by Buck Dharma and BOC, it´s the repeated G# Bb notes at the "end" of the riff I can´t get in rythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZvIe7Iia8

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    I am afraid in my case the question should be "riffs you HAVE mastered". Easier and shorter answer...
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Not a specific riff, but I've seriously neglected the fast downstroke move - I tend to alternate pick instead, which for something like Number of the Beast, makes for interesting string skipping moments. 
    Dr Nick said:
    Not a specific riff, but I've seriously neglected the fast downstroke move - I tend to alternate pick instead, which for something like Number of the Beast, makes for interesting string skipping moments. 

I was better at playing that one when I was 20 than now. Getting the whole alternate thing going kinda screwed my downstrokes, and that kinda bugs me.

Also, like others in this thread, I don't think I have ever been fully able to play that opening link to Sweet Child Of Mine right. Mostly because I don't care for that song or GnR in general. But I feel I should be able to play it since everybody and their mamma does...Also, my wife is not familiar with 90% of the stuff I usually play, but that one she knows, and has commented aloud on how I can't play it, which pisses me cause she probably thinks I suck at guitar, period. To be fair, she is probably right anyway... :'(
  • M11M11 Posts: 815
    I should add that there's a lot of riffs that were recorded using nothing but down strokes/strums that I alternate pick/strum, otherwise it's a one way ticket to tendonitis. For example, the entire Ramones discography :lol: 

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,322
    Adrian's opening riff to "Back In The Village". I can't seem to get the picking pattern right. 
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,551
    I was challenged to play "Vivaldi Tribute" by French guitarist Patrick Rondat, but I'm unable to play it faster than 85% of the original tempo (160 BPM), and some parts are still sloppy after a few weeks. It's more challenging than playing Malmsteen, because the riffs and patterns are quite different and not really "connected" together.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    All of them... Probably closest to truth! :lol: 

Since my mid-teens I've lost a lot of interest in learning other peoples songs... There are some I've wanted to learn that I really tried and struggled with though:
    - that muted string skipping part in the "chorus" of Bark at the Moon, that one is tough for me.
    - the small guitar inflections in You Give Love a Bad Name. Those are tricky.
    - the intro riff of Ain't Talkin' bout Love. Never sounds remotely close.
    - the chorus licks in Crazy Train. Terribly hard.

Overall techniques for me is sweep picking. Pretty much given up on that...

- the chorus licks in Crazy Train. Terribly hard.

Overall techniques for me is sweep picking. Pretty much given up on that...

Crazy Train is one of those songs I actually studied, deeply, and I still couldn't get right. The palm muted riff with the chord invertions is a huge pain...

I can sweep pne pattern, and that's it. I have seen some vids by Ben Heller and of course Grady that might help, but I am not keeping my hopes up.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,108
    Same here for me for the downpicking!! 
    I grew up playing Thrash and I could play all the Metallica stuff through Justice at tempo with the right technique. Well that apparently was 25 years ago because one of my students asked to learn Damage Inc which is one of my all time favorite Metallica songs and it's been a struggle to play that shit convincingly! My right hand just tires out after a while. i have been trying to get it together for a few days now but I'm really struggling.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    edited January 9
    Tatosh Guitar said:
    Crazy Train is one of those songs I actually studied, deeply, and I still couldn't get right. The palm muted riff with the chord invertions is a huge pain...

I've been playing it for years, as we all have, and I still don't know which is the correct way!  Guitar magazines, internet tabs, YouTube, have all been showing me how to play it, but none of them sound right to me. Hell, a good friend and guitar teacher showed me how he saw Randy play it, and it's still missing something.
    How I play it, the way that sounds best to me, is different to anything that I've seen anywhere else.
    I mean - It's not much different,  but no-one else seems to play it like this.

Okay, It's me isn't it? I probably have some kind of weird ears/brain/fingers interface malfunction that no normal folks have.
    I'll let myself out...

Post edited by Snoogans on
    edited January 9
    Snoogans said:
    I've been playing it for years, as we all have, and I still don't know which is the correct way!  Guitar magazines, internet tabs, YouTube, have all been showing me how to play it, but none of them sound right to me. Hell, a good friend and guitar teacher showed me how he saw Randy play it, and it's still missing something.
    How I play it, the way that sounds best to me, is different to anything that I've seen anywhere else.
    I mean - It's not much different,  but no-one else seems to play it like this.

Okay, It's me isn't it? I probably have some kind of weird ears/brain/fingers interface malfunction that no normal folks have.
    I'll let myself out...

It's definitelly not just you. That has driven me crazy for years. Nobody seems to play the darn thing the same, not the other Ozzy players or any cover in existance. This applies to the riffs, or parts of the solo. This is not the same as with other songs, like say, Unchained, or Iron Man, where there's a very defined version everybody knows.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on