The best Power Ballad, ever ??

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,043
    edited January 6
    Jay G said:
    According to Billboard Street of Dreams only reached #60 on the Hot 100 single chart.  That is the chart by which all singles are measured.  They had 2 songs chart higher.  Since You Been Gone at #57 and Stone Cold at #40.

Sorry but #60 did not earn them mega millions by any stretch.

It probably reached #1 on one of the other various charts such as the AOR chart or some sort of Rock chart.
    On further investigation the number 1 that is quoted in Wikipedia is the Mainstream Rock Chart so not the Hot 100.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_discography
    Being a Brit I forgot there were multiple charts over in the US. Things were much simpler in the UK back then. No MTV over here in those days either so the only times you saw music videos were on Top of the Pops, OGWT or Saturday morning kids shows.
    Post edited by Osky on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,803
    Osky said:
    No MTV over here in those days either
    Sigh, I so love the days when there was no MTV. That's one of the best things about the 70s for me: you'd hear a song off the radio, album, or cassette, and to me that was a much more personal, preferable experience. I was suspicious of MTV from the beginning, and there isn't a single video I would care to ever see again over the original song.

To me the music world would have been a far better place without EMPTY-TV. 

No offense to the channel's fans.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    edited January 6
    Regardless of whatever chart position it achieved or money it made, this is what Blackmore said in the 2015 documentary:

Skip to 1:03:30.
    From the man's own mouth. "The ULTIMATE RAINBOW SONG. "
    That's what I was saying.

Needless to say, here at DRG, we disagree.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    Jay G said:
    According to Billboard Street of Dreams only reached #60 on the Hot 100 single chart.  That is the chart by which all singles are measured.  They had 2 songs chart higher.  Since You Been Gone at #57 and Stone Cold at #40.

It probably reached #1 on one of the other various charts such as the AOR chart or some sort of Rock chart.
    Yeah....seemed to me that I remember 'Stone Cold' being a bigger hit for Rainbow. That song was on the radio when I was a kid all the time....and it is still played a lot on classic rock radio stations. "Street Of Dreams" was an MTV hit and was also a radio hit.....but I seem to remember that video got banned on MTV for the ridiculous reason that it featured a guy getting hypnotized and was considered taboo to feature mind control in a music video.....even though it was perfectly acceptable on network TV. 
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    Osky said:
    Jay G said:

On further investigation the number 1 that is quoted in Wikipedia is the Mainstream Rock Chart so not the Hot 100.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_discography
    Being a Brit I forgot there were multiple charts over in the US. Things were much simpler in the UK back then. No MTV over here in those days either so the only times you saw music videos were on Top of the Pops, OGWT or Saturday morning kids shows.
    Yes Billboard definitely does not make things simple.  I recall the first time I actually picked up a physical Billboard magazine I could not believe how many charts there were.  It was like a trophy for everyone!
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    Duojett71 said:
    Jay G said:

Yeah....seemed to me that I remember 'Stone Cold' being a bigger hit for Rainbow. That song was on the radio when I was a kid all the time....and it is still played a lot on classic rock radio stations. "Street Of Dreams" was an MTV hit and was also a radio hit.....but I seem to remember that video got banned on MTV for the ridiculous reason that it featured a guy getting hypnotized and was considered taboo to feature mind control in a music video.....even though it was perfectly acceptable on network TV. 
    Yes the video did get banned.  Funny but the Rainbow video I most recall seeing on MTV/VH1 was Death Alley Driver.  Keep in mind I was not much of an MTV/VH1 viewer in its day.  I watched more in the later years when our youngest son AJ became interested in Metal/Hard Rock.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,872
    If I should add any, it´s more straight ballads, than power ballads:
    ELP - Lucky Man
    Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin
    BOC - I love the night
    DP - Soldier of Fortune
    Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    Agrippa said:
    If I should add any, it´s more straight ballads, than power ballads:

Same here.   I already mentioned UFO - Profession of Violence, and here are ten more, off the top of my head: 

Hawkwind - The Demented Man
    Peter Gabriel - Mother Of Violence
    Pink Floyd - Mother 
    Jefferson Airplane - Triad
    Rainbow - The Temple Of The King  
    MSG - Tales Of Mystery  
    Iron Maiden - Strange World
    Montrose - We're Going Home
    BÖC - I Love The Night
    Nazareth - Star
  • Wait a minute, how is no one talking about "November Rain" in this? I'll never forgive myself for not putting that forward immediately as my go-to here.

I guess it's sort of overplayed, but every few years I come back to straightforwardly loving it. 
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,707
    Wait a minute, how is no one talking about "November Rain" in this? I'll never forgive myself for not putting that forward immediately as my go-to here.

I guess it's sort of overplayed, but every few years I come back to straightforwardly loving it. 

My guess is nobody mentioned it because not many people are crazy for it...The level of fandom for GnR isn't very high on this site.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    edited January 16
    My guess is nobody mentioned it because not many people are crazy for it...The level of fandom for GnR isn't very high on this site.
    HA! 
    @"Smoking Guns" @Gunner4Life I believe you can address this better than I. 

Yeah, November Rain certainly belongs in the conversation.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,707
    HA! 
    @"Smoking Guns" @Gunner4Life I believe you can address this better than I. 

Yeah, November Rain certainly belongs in the conversation.

Yeah, they are the resident supporters, for sure, hehe.

It's actually a good song, and quite popular out there. It also has some memorable guitar work, which is always a plus in my book. And it's probably better known that 99% of the stuff mentioned so far in this thread.

But, and this is a big but, I get the feeling that it's just not that popular here, as GnR aren't usually mentioned by the regulars of this site.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,319
    Personally, I prefer Don't Cry and Estranged.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,803
    I love both November Rain and Don't Cry, and am a big fan of both Appetite for Destruction and Lies (and several songs since). I even liked the album Axl put out this century under the name, though far less than the above two.

I love Slash's playing btw.
  • Right OK I wondered if there was something about GnR. I wasn't sure though, cuz Slash has a profile in the alchemy section. I agree with that article's description of his limitations, but I still consider myself a fan.

Also FWIW I like Don't Cry too, maybe more than November Rain, I just consider it more of a ballad than a power ballad. And Estranged is sort of its own thing to me. 
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw