The best Power Ballad, ever ??

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,373
    I never really regarded "Screaming In The Night" a power ballad but I suppose it is. It's a killer track....very Judas Priest in my opinion. I always loved that great guitar intro. 'Headhunter' is a great record as well. I would have added it to my list but it would have been redundant....it's definitely up there.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,853
    Imagine if Blackmore had hired Storace for Rainbow.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,601
    edited January 5
    Haffner said:
    Imagine if Blackmore had hired Storace for Rainbow.
    Instead of Dio, or after him?  Instead of -- no thanks. After . . . ? I don't see Storace fitting RB's eventual vision anymore than RJD or Bonnett did. RB actively pushed to (and eventually succeeded) in making Rainbow in to the radio-friendly, Foreigner-without-the-megahits band that it became. RB has said Rainbow's greatest achievement, and the song he is most proud of was Street of Dreams.   :s   

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
  • He was auditioned around the same time as Graham, could have been interesting...
    RB has said Rainbow's greatest achievement, and the song he is most proud of was Street of Dreams.   :s   

WHAT!

Speechless.
    It's in one of those video interviews he did for The Ritchie Blackmore Story that came out a few years back. At some point along the way, (we all know) he decided he wanted to take the band into the radio-friendly pop direction it went. If that was his vision, I can see why he'd feel that way, because he realized that vision. That song was their biggest radio hit. 

Ov course, I completely disagree with his vision, choices, and conclusions, but that doesn't change anything.
    When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
  • OK I've been thinking about it and my favorite power ballad is "Prisoner of Your Eyes," by Judas Priest, one of the Screaming for Vengeance bonus tracks. I'm not a huge fan of power ballads generally but that one does it for me.
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,047
    It's in one of those video interviews he did for The Ritchie Blackmore Story that came out a few years back. At some point along the way, (we all know) he decided he wanted to take the band into the radio-friendly pop direction it went. If that was his vision, I can see why he'd feel that way, because he realized that vision. That song was their biggest radio hit. 

A big hit single in the US, but it only struggled to no.52 in the UK. I Surrender was their biggest here hit (no.3) back at home with All Night Long and Since You've Been gone not far behind.
    edited January 6
    Osky said:

A big hit single in the US, but it only struggled to no.52 in the UK. I Surrender was their biggest here hit (no.3) back at home with All Night Long and Since You've Been gone not far behind.
    I keep hoping Graham (or the record company) will release the demos he did of I Surrender. It's on record that Joe was very unhappy when recording that song, as of course Bonnet had recorded it at his usual, higher pitch, and the band refused to do the recording over again.

Though Down to Earth wasn't exactly Rising, it did include what I consider to be the last Rainbow song in the Dio-mold (Eyes of the World), and I love that song with all my heart. I would have preferred Bonnet stayed on for one more album, as I just plain like his voice significantly more than JLT (though JLT was no joke in that department...I love Stone Cold, though mostly for the solos).

Overall I think the Rainbow that happened after Eyes of the World (including a lot of DTE) was far different than the band that, say, Ronnie Dio helmed after Osbourne left Sabbath. The vision that Ronnie Dio had was a groundbreaking one in the neo-classical, fantasy-themed portion of the Metal genre...the Rainbow that followed was something barely recognizable, intentionally unoriginal, and entirely in my humble opinion, only having a few standout tracks.

But that's just me, no offense to fans of the JLT era.
    Post edited by Haffner on
    Osky said:
    No offense, Chris, but success in the US meant a shitload more money and success. British and European bands that were huge in UK and Japan, spent their whole careers trying to break through in the US.  Lizzy never did it. Gary never did it. Whitesnake finally did it with 87, and Rainbow had a HUGE MTV hit with Street of Dreams. Prior, there were very minor (I guess they charted) hits/videos with Power and Stone Cold
    Osky said:
    No offense, Chris, but success in the US meant a shitload more money and success. British and European bands that were huge in UK and Japan, spent their whole careers trying to break through in the US.  Lizzy never did it. Gary never did it. Whitesnake finally did it with 87, and Rainbow had a HUGE MTV hit with Street of Dreams. Prior, there were very minor (I guess they charted) hits/videos with Power and Stone Cold
    Non taken Dave, I just felt it was worth pointing out that Rainbow lost a lot of their core hard rock audience over here in what a lot of us saw at the time as them 'selling out' to America. In fact I remember many of my friends hated anything Rainbow did post Dio, although I'm not one of them. I loved Down To Earth and some of Difficult to Cure was pretty good.
  • Osky said:
    What no did Street get to US btw? Didnt necessarily know it did much better than the other hits.
    Love all Rainbow eras but get that the Dio era was totally original,  start of metal in a way.
    Osky said:
    What no did Street get to US btw? Didnt necessarily know it did much better than the other hits.
    Love all Rainbow eras but get that the Dio era was totally original,  start of metal in a way.
    It was a number 1 although like you I didn't realise it was that successful until this thread came along and I looked it up. 
    edited January 6
    You didn't need to watch the charts to see that it was on HEAVY rotation on MTV for a while there. In that top 30-40 songs they played on a loop every hour. Not that I ever like Street of Dreams that much, but like most MTV hits, they played it to the point of ruining it for me forever -- like WS87. 

If it hit #1 in the US, I'm guessing it probably made more money than the first 4 Rainbow albums combined. Not that it matters, but radio success is what RB wanted, and that's what he got.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,664
    edited January 6
    According to Billboard Street of Dreams only reached #60 on the Hot 100 single chart.  That is the chart by which all singles are measured.  They had 2 songs chart higher.  Since You Been Gone at #57 and Stone Cold at #40.

Sorry but #60 did not earn them mega millions by any stretch.

It probably reached #1 on one of the other various charts such as the AOR chart or some sort of Rock chart.
    Post edited by Jay G on