The best Power Ballad, ever ??

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,493
    THE WS power ballad is Here I go Again.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    Some of my favorite power ballads:

Rescue Me-Y&T
    Wasted Sunsets-Deep Purple
    Desert Diamond-Alcatrazz
    Love To Love-UFO
    Too Many Hearts-John Norum
    Burning Heart-Vandenberg
    Screaming In The Night-Krokus
    (Take These) Chains-Judas Priest
    No Time To Lose-Accept
    Alone Again-Dokken
    Jaded Heart-Dokken
    House Of Broken Love-Great White
    Cry For Freedom-White Lion
    Broken Heart-White Lion
    Don't Close Your Eyes-Kix
    Still Loving You-Scorpions

• Agrippa said:
    Love this track, btw Marc auditioned for Rainbow 1979 before Graham.  Going back to Screaming, I know Ritchie took note as I can hear this influenced his song writing in years to come. Eg, Call of the wild riff, Slow down sister intro and various sections of Ariel.
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 731
    "Looking For Love" mentioned by Dr. Nick is a fantastic ballad...with a monster Sykes solo.
    Speaking of Sykes, I would submit Blue Murder's "Out Of Love" as one of the best power ballads of all time.
    edited January 4
    I would submit Blue Murder's "Out Of Love" as one of the best power ballads of all time.
    TOTALLY AGREE.  And he has a few others, too. Sykes is frankly, one of the best purveyors of power ballads, ever. It's a genre he's tailor made for.  
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • I would submit Blue Murder's "Out Of Love" as one of the best power ballads of all time.
    TOTALLY AGREE.  And he has a few others, too. Sykes is frankly, one of the best purveyors of power ballads, ever. It's a genre he's tailor made for.  
    Yes and IMHO he lifted the lizzy power ballads a notch or two higher, especially Still in love with you.
  • veemanveeman Posts: 28
    Before the Dawn -Judas Priest.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,873
    Alone by Heart.
    Burning Heart have to give a big shout out for that one :) :) as to Still loving you but The Scorps.
    Love Bites Def Leppard. 

Never really thought of Still in love with you by Lizzy  or When a blind man cries by Purple as a power ballads to be honest. 
    Never really thought of Still in love with you by Lizzy  or When a blind man cries by Purple as a power ballads to be honest. 

They're not, really. They're more straight ballads by powerful bands. SILWY is a 2-5-1 progression.  Not all of the stuff on my playlist were PBs in the classic sense. Just stuff to kind of round out the playlist.  When I think of the hallmarks of power ballads, I think of slow, comparatively quiet intros that go in to big, anthemic, sing-along type choruses.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    How about "Talking 'bout Love" by House of Lords? 

Love the double time outdo, and very cool solo. No idea what happened to the guitarist, but he was very good. 
  • Alone by Heart.
    Burning Heart have to give a big shout out for that one :) :) as to Still loving you but The Scorps.
    Love Bites Def Leppard. 

Maybe not, Still loving you got to be in top 5 PB ever I'd have thought.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,805
    edited January 4
    I always loved the SImple Man-esque Always Somewhere (Scorps).

Still Loving You is great, and features easily my fave solo by Scorpions since the Lovedrive album. 

I prefer We'll Burn the Sky (Tokyo Tapes) quite a bit, but am wondering if that's more a straight ballad.
    Post edited by Haffner on
    Still loving you got to be in top 5 PB ever I'd have thought.

Absolutely. I wouldn't give ANYONE an argument about SLY being in the top few, or even the best one ever.

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    edited January 4
    Haffner said:
    I always loved the SImple Man-esque Always Somewhere (Scorps).

Still Loving You is great, and features easily my fave solo by Scorpions since the Lovedrive album. 

I prefer We'll Burn the Sky (Tokyo Tapes) quite a bit, but am wondering if that's more a straight ballad.
    See, I never thought of "We'll Burn the Sky" as a ballad, or power ballad.  To me, the heavy parts of that song are too uptempo and riffy for that.  That being said, I never thought of "Beyond The Realms of Death" as a power ballad either...   
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
    Simple Man is definitely a great power ballad.