Mesa/Boogie Mark Five 25 - 25/10-watt Tube Head

Hey gang, I've been eye fucking one of these little amps for a while now. Anyone have experience with one? I'm looking for the ultimate lunch box amp and this one keeps coming up..  Thanks B)

Comments

• How are you defining "ultimate"?
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,604
    edited December 2019
    Flexibility from Clean to Metal with focus on the Hi Gain side. Enough power to use live if need be.. Effects loop.. Bonus points for a DI option for recording tho I'm sure a Torpedo cab sim might be needed.
    The Victory Kraken has been mentioned a couple times as well.. As has the Revv D20 tho it seems to be more of a pedal platform
    Post edited by Bytor on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,830
    edited December 2019
    For that price, I'd rather have the Bogner ATMA (and I do), but then I've never been a Mesa guy.

http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1020

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    edited December 2019
    Great!! Another valid option :s ;)

I see it has a line out. How is that?
    What I'm trying to do is claw my way out of the modeler rabbit hole. I have 4 at present. GT1000, Helix Rack unit and 2 different Fractal units. Moving forward on recording the recording front I'd really like a tube amp option.
    Post edited by Bytor on
  • I haven't used the line out. I know in general that those things don't always sound like the amp through a cab.  There's probably a video or forum somewhere with someone who'll know.  I can say it's a great-sounding, and VERY versatile amp. 
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,077
    I was frothing over the Kraken a while back ( well, still am....) & I too have also been intrigued by the MKV:25; but honestly....my cheap little Peavey 6505 MH hits all the buttons: lunchbox head...20 watts....cab sim out.....USB recording.....20/5/1 watt.....2 channel....reverb & boost w/footswitch included ......I play it through a 2x12 Marshall cab....it freaking SCREAMS.....total 100% Dino tone, or beyond if you want.....what else are you looking for? 
    This keeps drawing me back to the Mark Five 25

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    I would ask that you compare sound examples of the Mark Five 25 compared to the Mark Five 35. While the Mark Five 25 is lighter weight for carrying from venue to venue the Mark Five 35 offers a long spring reverb tank and far more headroom before breakup vs. the short spring / quicker breakup of the Mark Five 25. If you have zero interest in cleans or reverb go with the Mark Five 25. Lightweight metal tones on tap. It weighs less and offers what you need. On the other hand, If you need an amp that can deliver cleans in a good sized room, you'll need the Mark Five 35. 

The Mark Five 25 uses Mesa's "Dynawatt" power that kind of saves extra power in the caps for when a huge burst of power consumption is required. Two EL84s delivering 25 watts of power when two EL84s can't really produce more than 16 to 18 watts of power takes a little build magic.

The Mark Five 35 uses four EL84s, (just like the Vox AC30, Matchless, Badcat, Underground 30), and retains the ability to deliver the cleans as well as all the gain options of the Mark Five 25.
    edited December 2019
    Dynawatt power!

edited December 2019
    It sounds great in that video (of course JP is monster and a Mesa guy). It's certainly great at getting all the Dream Theater type tones (it should be!). But it also demonstrates one of the reasons I don't like Mesas -- they're too complicated for my Dino brain. Takes too long for me to dial in a sound, and I always feel like I could get it better if I keep tweaking. I should be able to find the sound I'm looking for in less than 5 minutes and never change it more than a nudge +/- after that.  I can't do that with Mesas. YMMV
    Yeah, I'm certainly no John Petrucci. I have a very good friend that has one and swears it's what I need for what I/we do. I asked about reference because it has no presets. I would have a dedicated notebook to draw charts I guess..

I still like the Revv D20 too.. The 35 watter is too big. I want to stick to MHs or lunch box size.. My biggest concern here is, the next time I look around I will have a rack to the ceiling filled with lunch box amps.. That's just how I am :s
    edited December 2019
    I'm sure it's a very good amp if Mesa is what you want. What do you intend to use it for? I have 5 low watters myself and now that I'm not gigging or recording, I don't use them much at all. If I go to a jam, I use the Blug. I've been buying things to practice through. I bought the new Yamaha wireless thingy and pre-ordered the Positive Grid Spark because it looks like it could do some interesting things for under $300 -- including a pretty good sounding line out on a video. 
    I don't have an amp at all anymore. :( It would be used more for recording than for jamming. The guys I jam with occasionally seem to be acting their age anymore and not wanting to rock  plus they don't practice so it's gotten hard to do :(   Part of this being honest is, because AA is an American business entity and gets reported on my business tax returns, it allows me to write off one purchase a year according to both my CPAs. So I'd rather write off that money than pay taxes on it ;)  Believe me, between business, sales, property, tangible and personal taxes, I pay more than my fair share so any thing that helps that regard is great!
    Trying out the Revv20.. Things I like, things not so much..
    Pulling the trigger on a Mark Five 25 tomorrow
    I love this lil amp.. B)