New OZZY tunes

13»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799
    Haffner said:

I guess I shouldn't be mad at Jake...I was just miffed he even took that horrible contract seriously. You're right, it was them to blame.

He has told the tale several times. When he got the gig, they promised full songwriting credits. He was young, and probably didn't think they would screw him, since Rhoads had gotten his due before him. The sessions for BatM started and he kept asking, and they always replied with, lets finish the album first, then we'll get to it. When the album was finished, Sharon offered a flat rate (something ridiculous like 2 grand, IIRC) and told him this is it. You take it or that's the door right there. Apparently she even told him that, if he didn't sign the agreement, they would simply erase his guitar parts, bring a session guy to record them again, and release the album without his name whatsoever. So he decided to cut his looses, no songwriting credit but at least his name is in the thing, remains a band member and does the tour.

Things were never friendly after that. I remember an old interview in which he said that after that mess was sorted out, Ozzy took him aside and told him: "you are young, so you get fucked over. Same thing happened to me with the first Sabbath album. When you are older and you have made a name for yourself, it will be your turn to fuck.".

This basically the same thing that happened to Daisley. And to Vivian on the Dio camp...
    This is awful. Graham told me something similar happened to him on the Down to Earth album, as in he definitely contributed vocal melodies to about half the songs (including All Night Long, Eyes of the World, and Danger Zone). He makes nothing off of the reissues, nothing. Blackmore apparently told him "you should be happy you're even here".
  • Haffner said:

This is awful. Graham told me something similar happened to him on the Down to Earth album, as in he definitely contributed vocal melodies to about half the songs (including All Night Long, Eyes of the World, and Danger Zone). He makes nothing off of the reissues, nothing. Blackmore apparently told him "you should be happy you're even here".

I didn't know this, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since this involves Blackmore.

No wonder Glenn Hughes demands songwriting credits for every project he is involved on, upfront. I hear he also got royally rammed back  in his Purple days.