New OZZY tunes

Comments

• Finally managed to listen to these. Truly hideous indeed, and exactly what any Ozzy tune has sounded like for the last 20 or so years. Tears was truly the last decent album, and Perry Mason the last good song.

Also, that guitar solo is borderline Kirk Hammett bad. Maybe even worse. Just a bunch of noodling for the sake of it. Not that I have ever cared for Slash. He is probably the one guy I like the least of the ones featured in the site, but most of the time he was decent. But This is just pathetic..
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    edited November 2019
    Go back and listen to Ozzmosis -- the last, great Ozzy record IMO. Ozzy sings his fucking ass off on it (his Beatles influence is all over it), Zakk plays great, tasty leads, and it's a great set of songs (IMO). 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    D'you know, I've never listened to Ozzmosis at all. Worth it? Heard bits of Black Rain and Scream...nah. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,804
    edited November 2019
    The last Classic to me was the song No More Tears (most especially the guitar solo, Zakk's finest imo). I couldn't get into the rest of the album, but to me that was his highpoint since Jake got fired for what I think were kind of mysterious reasons.

Now that I think about, could anyone help me with input re Jake's firing? I mostly remember Jake in an interview stating Ozzy didn't really have a good reason (or that he couldn't come up with one). And Ozzy stating that Jake was generally unenthused about writing for the next album.

No Rest For the Wicked...I like Miracle Man, but I remember being really bummed out about Jake getting sacked and being kind of suspicious of Wylde. I probably need to spin it again. I ended up really liking Zakk and his typically balls-out approach (neverminding his...uh, different wardrobe changing).
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Dr Nick said:
    D'you know, I've never listened to Ozzmosis at all. Worth it? Heard bits of Black Rain and Scream...nah. 
    It's a LOT better than those others you mention, IMO.  Check it out on Spotify or YouTube.  
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5m8Fj0thHTE4CBGJTdF6s9

If you're looking for pure headbanging ala Accept or Metallica, this isn't that. But Ozzy's stuff was never that. If you liked No More Tears, I'd say you'd like this too. It just about as good. If you didn't like NMT, you probably wont.

I really like it, but I like pop compositions in a metal context. It's VERY song-driven, more that metal-driven if you know what I mean.  And as I said, he's singing really well on this album.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    edited December 2019
    Haffner said:
    The last Classic to me was the song No More Tears (most especially the guitar solo, Zakk's finest imo). I couldn't get into the rest of the album, but to me that was his highpoint since Jake got fired for what I think were kind of mysterious reasons.

Now that I think about, could anyone help me with input re Jake's firing? I mostly remember Jake in an interview stating Ozzy didn't really have a good reason (or that he couldn't come up with one). And Ozzy stating that Jake was generally unenthused about writing for the next album.

No Rest For the Wicked...I like Miracle Man, but I remember being really bummed out about Jake getting sacked and being kind of suspicious of Wylde. I probably need to spin it again. I ended up really liking Zakk and his typically balls-out approach (neverminding his...uh, different wardrobe changing).
    I read or listened to a Jake interview within the last year where Jake said he wanted to strip the sound down and do more blues based heavy rock. He was writing stuff in that vein and Ozzy scoffed at it. Next thing he knew he got a fax stating that he was no longer needed and out of the band. I think Jake thought after the 'The Ultimate Sin' album....everything was getting overproduced. Even though I love that record...he was probably right. I think going in a more blues based heavy rock and metal direction would have been a great way to go for Ozzy. Hell, that was what he was doing in the early Sabbath days....and unlike Randy, Jake was a big Black Sabbath fan. I really wish Jake had done at least one more album with Ozzy....but at least we got a few great Badlands releases out of it.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
    Duojett71 said:

I read or listened to a Jake interview within the last year where Jake said he wanted to strip the sound down and do more blues based heavy rock. He was writing stuff in that vein and Ozzy scoffed at it. I think Jake thought after the 'The Ultimate Sin'....everything was getting overproduced. Even though I love that album...he was probably right and I think going in a more blues based heavy rock and metal direction would have been a great way to go for Ozzy. Hell that was what he was doing in the early Sabbath....and unlike Randy, Jake was a big Black Sabbath fan. I really wish Jake had done at least one more album with Ozzy....but at least we got a few great Badlands albums out of it.
    I would have LOVED a bluesier sound from Jake/Ozzy, though I loved Ultimate Sin (in some ways better than BATM, especially from a solo perspective). But hey, NRFTW sold a whole bunch. I listened to it again last night and liked it better (the songs...I liked it about as much as BATM in that department, but I have to give the soloing to Jake. Just me).
    Haffner said:
    Duojett71 said:

I read or listened to a Jake interview within the last year where Jake said he wanted to strip the sound down and do more blues based heavy rock. He was writing stuff in that vein and Ozzy scoffed at it. I think Jake thought after the 'The Ultimate Sin'....everything was getting overproduced. Even though I love that album...he was probably right and I think going in a more blues based heavy rock and metal direction would have been a great way to go for Ozzy. Hell that was what he was doing in the early Sabbath....and unlike Randy, Jake was a big Black Sabbath fan. I really wish Jake had done at least one more album with Ozzy....but at least we got a few great Badlands albums out of it.
    I would have LOVED a bluesier sound from Jake/Ozzy, though I loved Ultimate Sin (in some ways better than BATM, especially from a solo perspective). But hey, NRFTW sold a whole bunch. I listened to it again last night and liked it better (the songs...I liked it about as much as BATM in that department, but I have to give the soloing to Jake. Just me).
    Yeah...I agree. Jakes solos to me are more memorable and in some ways closer to the approach Randy had. NRFTW had some great songs like "Hero", "Fire In The Sky", "Breaking All The Rules" and "Miracle Man"...but I rarely revisit that one. The ones I go back to are BATM, Ultimate Sin and Diary.  Jake will always be my favorite Ozzy guitarist and Randy was amazing.
  • Go back and listen to Ozzmosis -- the last, great Ozzy record IMO. Ozzy sings his fucking ass off on it (his Beatles influence is all over it), Zakk plays great, tasty leads, and it's a great set of songs (IMO). 
    all this x100.  i love that record!
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Haffner said:

I think the REAL reason is: after the guitar tracks for BATM were done, Sharon presented Jake with a contract where he got a flat fee for all his work and Ozzy got the writing credits. And then threatened to fire and replace him if he disagreed. 
    So before Ultimate Sin, Jake refused to play a note before getting a contract which included writing credits. So he did the album, did the tour...and then got fired. 
    Same happened to the bass player, who brought in a completed song (Shot in the Dark) and had to sue to get his royalties. 
    Might be part of the reason the album got deleted, and never brought out in an "extended" or remixed version. Which is a shame, some good tunes, and a remix could do it a lot of good. 
    Dr Nick said:
    Haffner said:

I think the REAL reason is: after the guitar tracks for BATM were done, Sharon presented Jake with a contract where he got a flat fee for all his work and Ozzy got the writing credits. And then threatened to fire and replace him if he disagreed. 
    So before Ultimate Sin, Jake refused to play a note before getting a contract which included writing credits. So he did the album, did the tour...and then got fired. 
    Same happened to the bass player, who brought in a completed song (Shot in the Dark) and had to sue to get his royalties. 
    Might be part of the reason the album got deleted, and never brought out in an "extended" or remixed version. Which is a shame, some good tunes, and a remix could do it a lot of good. 
    I personally far prefer Ultimate Sin to BATM from both playing and song perspectives, which makes the lack of any repolishing kind of a bummer for me.

This also makes me angry...at least as much at Jake as the vampiric Osbournes. That was a horrible contract to sign, much less write. My dislike for Ozzy and his similarly awful hench-crone grows.
  • Haffner said:

This also makes me angry...at least as much at Jake as the vampiric Osbournes. That was a horrible contract to sign, much less write. My dislike for Ozzy and his similarly awful hench-crone grows.

Mind me asking why this makes you angry with Jake? Not that he had much choice. It was that contract or no contract at all.

I also heard he was contacted by Sharon in the 90's when Zakk left. His response was "are you giving me my royalties for Bark at the Moon? They never called back.

In the early 2000's 'The Ultimate Sin' was part of the catalog that was remastered and re released. I have a copy of it. It was never remixed to my knowledge.....but I think it is fine the way it is.

edited December 2019
    Haffner said:

Mind me asking why this makes you angry with Jake? Not that he had much choice. It was that contract or no contract at all.

I guess I shouldn't be mad at Jake...I was just miffed he even took that horrible contract seriously. You're right, it was them to blame.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Haffner said:

I guess I shouldn't be mad at Jake...I was just miffed he even took that horrible contract seriously. You're right, it was them to blame.

He has told the tale several times. When he got the gig, they promised full songwriting credits. He was young, and probably didn't think they would screw him, since Rhoads had gotten his due before him. The sessions for BatM started and he kept asking, and they always replied with, lets finish the album first, then we'll get to it. When the album was finished, Sharon offered a flat rate (something ridiculous like 2 grand, IIRC) and told him this is it. You take it or that's the door right there. Apparently she even told him that, if he didn't sign the agreement, they would simply erase his guitar parts, bring a session guy to record them again, and release the album without his name whatsoever. So he decided to cut his looses, no songwriting credit but at least his name is in the thing, remains a band member and does the tour.

Things were never friendly after that. I remember an old interview in which he said that after that mess was sorted out, Ozzy took him aside and told him: "you are young, so you get fucked over. Same thing happened to me with the first Sabbath album. When you are older and you have made a name for yourself, it will be your turn to fuck.".

This basically the same thing that happened to Daisley. And to Vivian on the Dio camp...