Old Guy Stuff- Fell Hard

2»

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,322
    Bytor said:
    Well, I wussed out and took a day off from the gym yesterday.. :s

Back at it this morning :#
    I have been wussing out for over two months.....and I didn't even take a fall....
  • it's kinda the way life goes.  it ain't pretty, either.  i do get it.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,674
    edited December 2019
    I'm 50.  I was unloading a truck for "Ball Fart" the other day and a case fell from the top, hit me on the arm, and cut my arm wide open.  Since the last time I was hurt on the job, I got a coaching for "unsafe work practices,"  and I decided unless my leg came off, I wouldn't report it, I slapped 3 bandaids over it and continued working.  

Wouldn't you know, it wasn't really that bad?  I mean, it still bled, but the thing is, it was one of those things that peels off your skin,  not a real cut.  There was no way stitches was going to fix it.  So I sprayed it with some Nu-Skin and went on with my business.

But yeah, if I was 25, would have been no big deal.  But hey, there are people on this forum who remember when I gashed my shin and worked with my sock soaked in blood.  Those were the days.
    Post edited by otcconan on
    edited December 2019
    Oh hell, man, forgot about this.  "Fell hard"....  I went out to check the refrigeration on a trailer out behind my store, and it being dark, I thought the wall leading up to the dock was a ramp.  Not a wall.  Wanting to save time, I jumped over the railing of what I thought was a ramp, expecting to land just below, but it was a wall, and I fell 9 feet to the pavement on my ass.  I was in my 30s, so this wasn't as bad as it would be now, but it fucking HURT.  And I never reported it, though I mentioned it here and on my (now defunct) blog.

Post edited by otcconan on
    otcconan said:
    I'm 50.  I was unloading a truck for "Ball Fart" the other day and a case fell from the top, hit me on the arm, and cut my arm wide open.  Since the last time I was hurt on the job, I got a coaching for "unsafe work practices,"  and I decided unless my leg came off, I wouldn't report it, I slapped 3 bandaids over it and continued working.  

Wouldn't you know, it wasn't really that bad?  I mean, it still bled, but the thing is, it was one of those things that peels of your skin,  not a real cut.  There was no way stitches was going to fix it.  So I sprayed it with some Nu-Skin and went on with my business.

But yeah, if I was 25, would have been no big deal.  But hey, there are people on this forum who remember when I gashed my shin and worked with my sock soaked in blood.  Those were the days.
    I forgot to mention, that was 6 stitches and the nurse said "I can see everything."  When I asked what that meant, she meant bone.  My manager said I was white as a sheet.  But fuck it.  Standing  and working in your own blood is metal, and if you're not bleeding, you're not working, the way I see it.

• I've fallen several times the last couple years.  Unless it's a ice both feet up in the air hovering fall I always try to reduce the sudden stop at the bottom by rolling with the falls direction or making sure or making the fall go like falling dominoes.  Making my entire body absorb the impact instead of one particular are.  As weird as it sounds, the times I've fallen time seems to really slow down and give me a moment to sort of work it out.  Can't say I've enjoyed the practice, but it's always in the back of my mind.    
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society