Old Guy Stuff- Fell Hard

Most of us are getting a little older.. I'm 62..

When was the last last time you guys took a tumble?  I did today :s

My John Deere needed new front tires. The old had worn down so badly that it started to skid instead of turn.. I'm cheap so if I think I can do something myself instead of paying someone to do it, I do.. The first side went amazingly fast. When I started the second side, the make shift stool I was sitting on kicked out and instead of falling on my back, I tried to run it out to get my feet back under me.. When I hit top speed I realized "Crap, I can't save this".. So here I am, 6' 5" 300lbs taking a header at top speed. I'd just left the gym too..  I cannot believe how bad that hurt.. :# Thank God I had an Oak tree cut down and stump ground a little while back or I would have face planted Wiley Coyote style into that tree.. 

Gettin old aint for sissy's  :/

Comments

• Sorry man.

I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    I'm a wee lad comparatively speaking, but two weeks of vacation and no gym undid all the good work I've been putting in to fight my fibromyalgia. SuX indeed.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,622
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm 60. Everybody likes to say on my birthday that you are only as old as you think you are, and that I should think that I'm 29. So when I wake up in the morning, I lie in bed and think I'm 29...I'm 29...I'm 29. But when I go to get up, the body says "Bullshit you're 29! You're 60"

:/ :'(  
    Post edited by pprovost on
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,144
    I guess 60 is my next milestone. I turned 57 a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, I haven't had any health issues so far. I could stand to lose a few pounds though. My hot young wife, four teenage kids, and rock n' roll music are keeping me feeling young! LOL

I'm seeing my mortality clearly though. My mother passed away at 84 back in February and my father, 85, probably won't live to see Thanksgiving this year. Both seemed healthy enough into their 80s. Mom had a fall last year and her body just gave out in the next several months. Dad's depression from my mother's passing has weakened him, and with a number of his own health issues in the months since Mom died, his mind has given up and his body is following.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,547
    I have a feeling that shit (the tumble) would have hurt at any age.. ;)
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,591
    I'll be 65 in January. If I'd suffered your mishap I would have probably died hoping that someone here might have posted something about me in the "Bring out your Dead" category of the Dinosaur Rock Guitar forum. 

A Long time member.

An enigma.

A true Hippie.

Kinda weird.

A guitar / amp/ pedal / speaker / etc. nerd !

A Dick. (making allowances for the rights of all members to post their honest opinions).

Could have given Eric Johnson a run for his money seeking the perfect guitar tone. ( among my friends).

A member who picked up the guitar at six years of age to create the music he heard in his head, (there's probably a name for this in some psycho journal), managed to be a Hippie and Eagle Scout at the same time, married his High School sweetheart, served 4 years in the U.S. Navy with her by his side and ........ over all the years that followed ........ stayed loyal and true to his wife, his instrument, and morals inspired by his family, his friends, his beliefs and the insights reserved for those who live long enough to gain them.

• I am spring chicken compared to some of you guys, but I am not a kid anymore either. I took a very bad fall last year and I still feel it everyday. I injured my shoulder, bad fracture and all that, but that's not all. Sometimes it hurts to even walk. I'd like to think I'll eventually heal completely but it might take years, and I am not exactly Benjamin Button.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    edited November 2019
    I tore a calf muscle a few months back. Hurt like a bastage, and laid me out for three days.

Kickstarting a Harley?
    Stage diving?
    Fighting off zombies?

Nope, running for a bus...
    Post edited by Snoogans on
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,654
    I guess I'm old. I am an expert in self mutilation. If I'm not crashing my bike offroad, I'm falling or maiming myself with tools in my workshop. I accepted long ago that this was my lot in life and now just take the hits as they come. Sometimes I can juke a bit and get a glancing blow or am even missed entirely, but life generally wins all the bouts.  Multiple broken bones, several concussions and more stitches than my last ER nurse could believe later and I'm still smiling.  

Oh, and Bytor? Trees are the devil. I have hit them on my bike, while running and also while walking and once even when I fell from a cliff. I am convinced that they took out a contract on me years ago and it will be a tree that eventually kills me. Wilie E. Coyote has nothing on me. 
  • Not so much accidents recently, but loads of ongoing tendonitis of the joints. I got about 3 cortisone shots in me at the moment keeping pain at bay -- for a while. 
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,622
    edited November 2019
    I try to look on the bright side. They say that the memory is the first to go. If that is true, then that means I won't be able to remember the things that I can't do any more, anyway.
    Post edited by pprovost on
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    Not so much accidents recently, but loads of ongoing tendonitis of the joints. I got about 3 cortisone shots in me at the moment keeping pain at bay -- for a while. 
    Same here. I have tendonitis in my left arm from a lot of lifting at work and I have either carpal tunnel or tennis elbow in my right arm. I have not gotten the cortisone shots yet...but I think I just need to take a vacation and let this stuff heal. That means no lifting and no playing guitar for a while....which is kind of hard when you need to support yourself and also play in a band....life's a jerk....
  • Go get the shot, Mark, they DO help. And it may even cure it (probably not).  I've had dozens of them in my life. I have to have one in my shoulder every 6 months or so or I can't sleep on my side at night.

I have tendinitis (tennis elbow) now in my right elbow. It was killing me during the 20th Ann. Jam. Just make sure that for the elbow, they get it in the elbow joint. I had one guy screw up and hit bone -- it was super painful during the shot (it shouldn't be), and was killing me for a week afterward -- PLUS it didn't take and help the tendinitis. I got it re-done correctly after the jam, and it finally did the job.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2019
    Guys, I've had the same issues in my arms; 1st it was the right forearm a couple of years ago.....tennis elbow/tendonitis.....not sure what exactly, doesn't matter what it was called.I have a strict no drug or medication policy (unless it's absolutely non-avoidable) & always try to fix stuff with naturopathic medicine and/or physical therapy etc. Anyways, for my right forearm/tennis elbow thing I started treating it with acupuncture and massage. A lot of arm issues ( wrist, going up the forearm to elbow, up into bicep & shoulder ) can be traced to neck & shoulder muscles being out of whack.Posture is a big thing, as is core strength. A forearm issue could be rooted in shoulder and/or neck muscle issues. Anyhow, acupuncture & massage, on a regular basis helped alot. It can get spendy, but I just prioritized it. Medical tape ( & knowing how to properly apply it so it pulls the layers of connective tissue/muscle/tendons etc. apart from each other & lets the blood flow ) is a real boon too. Same with regular icing. I bought a 9"x24" hot & cold therapy wrap by Elasto-Gel....again, it works wonders. Long story short, my right arm issues are now mostly gone.This stuff doesn't happen overnight....anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years sometimes.But it does take dedication and a "I'm gonna heal myself" mentality....
    I'm not a doctor, nor a physical therapist etc. but I'm just talking from experience .....my job involves working with my hands 8 hours a day, 40 hrs a week.....I have no choice, I have to fix this stuff or I'm screwed.Never mind playing guitar, trying to reach overhead or grab something out of the fridge can cause pain & it gets worse if it's not dealt with.

Now, I have a left shoulder thing going on, go figure. I also invested in a personal electric stimulation device; this thing is medical grade, a bit spendy but way worth it.....I use it every night while I'm laying in bed relaxing & reading.

There are lots of things you can do to help fix these mechanical ailments, but try finding what the root cause of the pain is 1st, and then addressing that. 
    Post edited by Stitsel on
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,547
    Well, I wussed out and took a day off from the gym yesterday.. :s

Back at it this morning :#