Positive Grid SPARK

Seriously considering getting one of these. Since I haven't been in a band for some time, I seldom get together with other musicians to jam and all of my playing happens in my small urban apartment living room either playing with my Tiny Terror and 1x12 or with my iPad using BIAS FX modeling software. The problem with both setups is that if I want to play along to backing tracks or songs I need to either crank my music player when I play along with the Tiny Terror (annoying neighbors, girlfriend and cat) and when I use the iPad (where I can use headphones) if I want to play to YouTube or iTunes I have to do some convoluted software audio routing to use BIAS FX and the backing track playing at the same time.
I really liked the BOSS eBand JS-10 after seeing it in action at Dave's place in NYC but what I like about the SPARK is that it uses the BIAS modeling software, can play along to music on streaming platforms and the "virtual band" feature looks promising. Also, it is $299.
Tagged:

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,615
    oh wow...that looks interesting. That would be a great way to learn songs.
  • That looks cool. I went for the Yamaha wireless thing which does some of the same stuff.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • I wonder if this might suit me better than the iRig 2 HD I was dead set on getting for the holidays. Those who have that one, do you think this might be way better for a guy looking to a) up his playing skills and general technique b) jamming along songs c) learn up until now impossible licks and riffs?
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,298
    edited October 2019
    I wonder if this might suit me better than the iRig 2 HD I was dead set on getting for the holidays. Those who have that one, do you think this might be way better for a guy looking to a) up his playing skills and general technique b) jamming along songs c) learn up until now impossible licks and riffs?

I have the iRig 2HD 
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1059

It's basically just an interface. Add to my review that I had to replace their USB chord cause it crapped it out. Using a better quality one has helped stabilize the connection.

I find it a great tool for what it is -- for ME, for true "practice," and it helps me having everything centralized on my laptop. 

This other thing looks like a lot more fun -- especially if you're looking to play or learn songs and do the other things you mention.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,339
    edited October 2019

I have the iRig 2HD 
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1059

It's basically just an interface. Add to my review that I had to replace their USB chord cause it crapped it out. Using a better quality one has helped stabilize the connection.

I find it a great tool for what it is -- for ME, for true "practice," and it helps me having everything centralized on my laptop. 

This other thing looks like a lot more fun -- especially if you're looking to play or learn songs and do the other things you mention.
    I might need to get the iRig anyway... I have a full free hour at my work, every day. You gave me the idea to use that time as practice, I could bring a guitar to work, with the interface and my iPhone and I would be set. The Spark might be a cooler, more complete package, but I would need to carry an aditional piece of gear wth me. Not what I am looking for right now. Still, this unit looks mightly interesting, and might be a better investment in the long run. I might hold until enough people have tried it to see how it works and will look into it again.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,615
    The Spark looks to be a start up campaign....it does not look like they are actually being produced yet.
  • M11M11 Posts: 867
    Duojett71 said:
    The Spark looks to be a start up campaign....it does not look like they are actually being produced yet.
    It's available for pre-order starting today. I managed to get one with the early bird price. It should ship in December so it'll arrive just in time for Christmas. :lol: 
    I'll post a review when it arrives.
  • I'll be interested in your review. Particularly along the lines of if you play a riff, will it join in as a band. (as it claims). If so, that's kind of a game-changer as a songwriting tool. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    This looks cool, lot of great features packed into that little box. Impressive if it works as well as they claim.

I use the BIAS Desktop myself and think it is okay. For recording quick demos or using when you can't bring your amp with you it is terrific. Stacked against my Marshall there is no competition in terms of pure tone.