About instrumental music

eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
edited October 2019 in Dino's Bar and Grill
Last saturday I played a little gig on a festival with famliar crowd and people from ambients different than those wich my usual target is. 

Three songs only. 

Before the start, I tell the people that we have no singer. 
After the play, people react very well some said me they were surprised by not being bored with my instrumentals, no vocal songs. 

My 2 considerartions about it.:

1 people are not used to watch proficent people playing. I know I play well but Im not Vai or Holdsworth.

2 If you try to make your music singable, it's ok not having lyrics. 
I try following the example of Satch on that. Also, the most part of clsssical musoc we know is instrumental.

So... Do you like instrumental music, like I do? 
Post edited by eduardoritos on

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Love it, I'm a sucker for good melody - so I went of Satch when he went more groove-based (don't mind it sometimes, but not a whole album). Clearly Satch and to an extent Vai were the benchmark in the '80's. And I LOVE some of Jason Becker's stuff (Images is fantastic).

The last thing that really caught my ear was Marco Sfogli's album: some beautiful tunes 

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    Love instrumental music.  A great song with a great melody and a great groove works for me anytime.  I love when a song is so good and a player is so good he/she can covert the vocal to an instrumental melody.  Jeff Beck is a master of doing this.
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 996
    edited October 2019
    I love instrumental music and listen to much more of it than vocal-led music. I've always been surrounded by classical music, so it's more "the norm" to me. I always liked it when bands would do instrumental numbers (Maiden, Schenker, Deep Purple) - and wished they would do more.

I'm not a fan of "instrumentals" that are simply an excuse for shredding, and sadly that accounts for most guitar-based instrumental music. I don't find shred-chops to be impressive unless there's some emotional content and good music involved. 

Several years ago, I made a giant Spotify playlist of every guitar instrumental album I could think of, by every artist I could think of. I can't remember how many tunes it consisted of - perhaps 1500. I spent several months listening to that playlist on shuffle, without looking to see who the song was by. If the tune was musically interesting enough that I would have listened to it a second time or was memorable melodically, I gave it a star and it remained in the playlist, otherwise I deleted it.. After several months, I ended up with maybe 30-40(!) tracks left. The majority were by the same two or three guitarists. That's 30-40 tracks that I would have been prepared to listen to A SECOND TIME. Not a good strike rate.

There are a lot of good guitarists out there, but very few that can write decent tunes. Which seems pretty logical to me. The dedication required for virtuoso chops isn't going to leave much time left for practising composition. They spend hours every day honing their technique and about 5 minutes putting together a "song". And it sounds like it.
    Post edited by Andy G on
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
    Years ago I was teached by and argentinian player named Daniel Perez Amboage, great jazz player, in thd Merheny vibe.

He's so emotional while playing that you dont need any voocal to listen, and you dont feel much being jazz. It's pop colored sometimes. 
    I recomend you. 

Metheny, Scofield, Satch, Hendersson (Tribal Tech). Music you can listen to, where the solo isn't the more important thing. 
    Years ago I was teached by and argentinian player named Daniel Perez Amboage, great jazz player, in thd Merheny vibe.

He's so emotional while playing that you dont need any voocal to listen, and you dont feel much being jazz. It's pop colored sometimes. 
    I recomend you. 

Metheny, Scofield, Satch, Hendersson (Tribal Tech). Music you can listen to, where the solo isn't the more important thing. 
    Thanks for the recommendation Eduardo. There is very little jazz that I like, but I will have a listen :)
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    edited October 2019
    Andy G said:
    Several years ago, I made a giant Spotify playlist of every guitar instrumental album I could think of, by every artist I could think of. I can't remember how many tunes it consisted of - perhaps 1500. I spent several months listening to that playlist on shuffle, without looking to see who the song was by. If the tune was musically interesting enough that I would have listened to it a second time or was memorable melodically, I gave it a star and it remained in the playlist, otherwise I deleted it.. After several months, I ended up with maybe 30-40(!) tracks left. The majority were by the same two or three guitarists. That's 30-40 tracks that I would have been prepared to listen to A SECOND TIME. Not a good strike rate.

There are a lot of good guitarists out there, but very few that can write decent tunes. Which seems pretty logical to me. The dedication required for virtuoso chops isn't going to leave much time left for practising composition. They spend hours every day honing their technique and about 5 minutes putting together a "song". And it sounds like it.

It's not a very good hit rate, is it? Even with guys like Satch (I have several albums) and Vai (I have only one album), I only listen to about one album's worth of each guy, once in a blue moon.  Jeff Beck is really the only exception to that for me. His music is more varied. 

Amy's been bugging me to do an instrumental album, but I don't think doing that interests me that much anymore after doing two albums of true songs with her singing them.  Back before Amy and I met, I was doing instrumentals and they were more riff/song-oriented.  But doing an instrumental album now would feel like quite a step down. I'd be more interested in doing a "solo" album with her singing, and perhaps an instrumental or two. But I'm not that motivated, and because of that, I haven't had a decent idea in ages. I spent some time two weeks ago going through a handful of old tapes with song ideas on them. Just snippets of parts I came up with and liked enough to capture. A riff here, a progression, or a possible chorus there. I played them for Amy and she said she'd like to steal a few of them for her projects. I said PLEASE DO. They have a hell of a lot better chance of coming to fruition that way -- getting recorded AND getting heard.  I would play on them, and get co-writing credit. We'll see how that pans out.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    The poit is "leave the thing out of you" in either a way or another. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    I think that is what made the first Rising Force album so great. Those were not just backing tracks with guitar shredding all over them....they were compositions with distinctive parts. Malmsteen always had a great solo somewhere in the middle of the song.....but there were a lot of changes within the song and fairly complex yet interesting arrangements. I thought Al DiMeola's earlier work was great to....especially the album 'Electric Gypsy'.

Besides those two albums....the only other guitar instrumental albums that hold my attention are Vai's 'Passion and Warefare'....and a couple of his more recent albums, Tony MacAlpine's 'Maximum Security', Chris Poland's 'Return To Metalopolis' and Joey Taffola's 'Out of The Sun. If I never heard another Satriani song it would be too soon....
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,591
    edited October 2019
    I 100% agree with Duojett71. "Rising Force", "Electric Gypsy" and "Passion and Warfare" are all outstanding examples on this subject. I would also add Joe Satriani's "Flying in a Blue Dream".
    Post edited by inmyhands on
    "Flying in a blue dream" is The Song for me. 
    It's not a very good hit rate, is it? Even with guys like Satch (I have several albums) and Vai (I have only one album), I only listen to about one album's worth of each guy, once in a blue moon. 
    It's a pretty appalling rate. It was a fascinating experiment and it really put things into perspective for me. I had always thought along those lines, but hadn't realised quite how much pointless drivel people were putting out as "music". 

Most of the guitarists who do instrumentals have written at least a handful of strong pieces. Perhaps enough for a single album. It's a shame that you have to go through 6 or 7 albums to find them though. I suppose the pressure was always on to make "an album". But you can always tell when guys are just "mailing it in" or on "autopilot". Since the advent of Spotify and Apple Music, it's easier than ever to make playlists of your favourite stuff. And with YouTube/FB being such a vehicle for promotion, it's like everything is expected to have video content too. So it seems to make more sense nowadays to do an short EP or even release singles. 

Amy's been bugging me to do an instrumental album, but I don't think doing that interests me that much anymore after doing two albums of true songs with her singing them.  Back before Amy and I met, I was doing instrumentals and they were more riff/song-oriented.  But doing an instrumental album now would feel like quite a step down. I'd be more interested in doing a "solo" album with her singing, and perhaps an instrumental or two. But I'm not that motivated, and because of that, I haven't had a decent idea in ages.
    It's a shame that you don't feel motivated - I think you could do a good job of some instrumentals. Playing in a band with a singer takes the vast majority of the focus away from the guitarist - and rightly so. We're meant to take a back seat whilst the singer does their thing - even if the singer is mediocre or even a bit crap, if the words are well written, the listener can still be interested. But without a singer... the spotlight is all on the guitarist :fearful: and that's a daunting prospect. But maybe you could do a couple of instrumentals *anyway*. There's no reason you should feel compelled to do a full album. And given folks' attention-spans these days, I think you might be better off doing a couple of instrumentals anyway.

I have a ton of stuff that is half-finished and now that I have my guitar sound and recording setup working for me, I fully intend to start releasing stuff. I just need to get my playing in shape first. And find some energy! :sleeping: 

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    As the board's resident Morglbl fanboy, I feel obliged to post here...

Yes they can be a bit Zappa-esque, or even Holdsworthy, but it's never dull.  In fact it's often infuriatingly catchy! Not exactly sing-along, 'cos there's no lyrics*,  but definitely hum-along!  =)

*There are occasionally, but they're usually nonsensical.

• Andy G said:
    It's a shame that you don't feel motivated - I think you could do a good job of some instrumentals. 
    Got a lot of depressing crap and drama in my life these days and it sucks a lot of the energy out of me. Not just for music, but for lots of things. I tend not to come up with musical ideas under such circumstances.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    Andy G said:
    It's a shame that you don't feel motivated - I think you could do a good job of some instrumentals. 
    Got a lot of depressing crap and drama in my life these days and it sucks a lot of the energy out of me. Not just for music, but for lots of things. I tend not to come up with musical ideas under such circumstances.
    I understand that all too well mate... :persevere:  Hopefully when you get through it you will feel inspired again.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    Andy G said:
    Sometimes I come up with my better musical ideas under those circumstances. Sometimes I will turn to the guitar to forget what else is going on.....but there are other times when I do not pick it up so I understand the lack of motivation. Life is a bitch at times....