Obsession UFO

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,884
    edited January 1
    Agrippa said:
     Aerosmith Rocks or Get Your Wings. 
    Their best! Though I think Toys in the Attic is up there, too.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • Going back to UFO.....of the 5 original studio albums he did in the 70s, for me Walk on water is totally up there, pipped only by Obsession and Lights Out.  
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,891
    Haffner said:
    It's interesting he says that, when to my ears it sounds like they each lifted a bit from one another. I believe both Uli and Michael's Alchemy profiles here mention something like that.

Also, when I hear Sails of Charon I can't help but wonder what Roth thought of (or if he'd already heard) Rainbow's Stargazer. I'd call and ask Uli but I think he's still mad about me calling him drunk a couple of years ago (can't blame him lol).

I wouldn't doubt touring with UFO influenced both bands, but I'd also like to mention, iirc, that Priest opened for Kiss before Hell Bent For Leather (either that or British Steel), and I think the Kiss songwriting Weltanschauung helped at least peripherally shape those albums, especially the simpler stuff. 

I realize Kiss was one of the biggest "borrowing bands" in history, but they were a great band in the 70s imo, and they had their share of admirers amongst musicians (including Scott Ian, Dime, and many others).

I saw an interview with Uli years ago and somebody actually asked him the whole "who influenced who" thing. He said that both him and Michael were probably borrowing from one another, IIRC.

Interestingly enough, I have also seen an interview when somebody asked him if he was influenced by Blackmore, and he downright refused it, to the point I felt he was kind of annoyed by the question. Maybe he has been asked before, or people looked at the strat and jumped to conclusions. I am pretty sure the guitar was more of a Hendrix thing, that said. I do have an interview in an old Guitar magazine when he explains the origin of Sails of Charon, and I am pretty sure he says he was impressed by a classical concerto when he came up with it. I don't remember which one, but I'll look for the magazine and tell you. ;)

I am pretty sure you are the first person I have ever seen bring up the Kiss - Priest thing. I could have sworn I was the only guy alive who had made the connection. I believe Priest opened for KISS in the Stained Class tour, and next thing you know, they change musical style and image for the Hell Bent period. KK doesn't mention it at all in his book, but I got the impression he wanted to claim credit for every good idea the band ever had. The UFO influence is clear as day to me, and I think KISS was also an enourmous factor in how they presented themselves as a band.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,674
    I am pretty sure you are the first person I have ever seen bring up the Kiss - Priest thing. I could have sworn I was the only guy alive who had made the connection. I believe Priest opened for KISS in the Stained Class tour, and next thing you know, they change musical style and image for the Hell Bent period. KK doesn't mention it at all in his book, but I got the impression he wanted to claim credit for every good idea the band ever had. The UFO influence is clear as day to me, and I think KISS was also an enourmous factor in how they presented themselves as a band. 
    Priest absolutely opened for KISS in 1979.  It was my very first concert.  Was a huge KISS fan but didn’t know much of Priest at the time though Stained Class did go on to become my favorite album of theirs.
    Haffner , I found the mentioned article, I actually had the magazine in my desk back home, so it wasn't hard, so here you go... The origin of Sails of Charon in its maker's own words:

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,450
    Interesting on the Uli Roth "Sails Of Charon" origin. Such a great song.

I really don't see the Priest/Kiss connection musically. 
    Duojett71 said:

I really don't see the Priest/Kiss connection musically. 
    While I can't speak for Haffner, I don't hear it as much as I see it... They became more "image concious" after touring with Gene and co. Also, the songs became more straight forward, with simpler tempos. You don't hear stuff like Saints in Hell, Sinner or Beyond the Realms of Death in British Steel, and instead you get Living After Midnight and Grinder, But personally, as I said above, I think this is more a Michael Schenker thing than an Ace Frehley thing...

• StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    Was it his white Strat....& I'm guessing an old Plexi? 
    Yes. Maybe I should just scan the whole thing and post it here, huh? His 75 strat and the old Marshall. It’s a great article, as he goes at length on how to play it too.
    Waiting, patiently ;)
    Stitsel said:
    Waiting, patiently ;)
    I’ll scan it then, and post it in its own thread, as it deserves to be. ;)
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,884
    Stitsel said:
    Waiting, patiently ;)
    I’ll scan it then, and post it in its own thread, as it deserves to be. ;)
    Very grateful LOVE this stuff!!!
    Thank you sir. B)
    Haffner said:
    Very grateful LOVE this stuff!!!

Stitsel said:
    Thank you sir. B)

Scanned and posted, as promised. Check it out!
    Mad Mikey hits the Big 65 today!
    Respect to a true Dino brother.