Obsession UFO

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    edited December 2019
    Was listing to Budokan on the way to work this AM. Still great, but I realized 1, the CD I ripped was so old, it's in dire need of a remaster. And 2, they were playing those tunes noticeably slow compared to the album versions. I get trying not to rush live, but up-tempo things like Mad Axeman and On and On really drag on this album. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,985
    I love Schenker but the first two albums sound so flat and boring production wise... Assault Attack is much better in that regard IMO. 
  • Agree re production quality on AA, prefer for most part the ONAB versions to the LPS.  The fade solo OAO/Budokan is one of my all time MS moments.  That pinched note before the improv starts....wow....breathtaking!
  • Nothing against those who like the production of the first two. I like them the way they sound allright,but the first time I heard AA it was like somebody lifted a blanket from the speakers. That's what happens when you have Martin Birch at the console, I suppose.

I believe it was Cozy himself who suggested getting a "real singer" and a first rate producer for the next album. They were working MSG to be a top notch band, I suppose. I am not surprised since he had already worked with both Graham and Martin. Shame he didn't stay in the band long enough to be a part of this (Not that Graham stayed that long himself). One can only wonder what this could have been.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    Glover's production on the first LP is barely adequate. Nevison did worse on the second LP IMO. It was about 38 years ago, but I remember it took me several listens to get used to it, as it sounded muffled and blurry.  Still, those albums are so strong that it doesn't detract too much from their greatness. But just imagine what they would have been with Martin Birch's magic...
  • Glover's production on the first LP is barely adequate. Nevison did worse on the second LP IMO. It was about 38 years ago, but I remember it took me several listens to get used to it, as it sounded muffled and blurry.  Still, those albums are so strong that it doesn't detract too much from their greatness. But just imagine what they would have been with Martin Birch's magic...

I agree. The first Iron Maiden album is great because of the songs and it's overall rawness, but had Birch been at the knobs it would probably be ranked even higher than it already is, Maybe best metal album of all time and all that. The first time I heard Killers it was a revelation and I still think it's one of the best sounding albums ever.
    edited December 2019
    I certainly agree Assault Attack has better production than the first two. I just think the songs are stronger on the first two, and particularly the first one. I also like Barden better than Bonnett. 
  • I certainly agree Assault Attack has better production than the first two. I just think the songs are stronger on the first two, and particularly the first one. I also like Barden better than Bonnett. 

Songs particularly strong on the second, I dont suppose there's anyway to salvage and completely restore at some point. IIRC Nevison forgot to record Cozys bass drum?
  • Budokan is not only the best MSG, it's the source of the 50% of my guitar knowledge. I played over it hundreds (thousand?) of times. 
  • How much of budokan overbubbed?
  • How much of budokan overbubbed?
    Many, for sure. 

But the live vibe is amazing. 

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,803
    edited December 2019
    Obsession is one of the better UFO albums (my favorite is Phenomenon for studios)...but I really wasn't anywhere near as much into their music as I am the first three MSGs and Rock Will Never Die. I mostly listen to Phenomenon and Strangers in the Night when I break out UFO.

I rank Assault Attack and MSG II as my favorite ever Michael Schenker albums; AA mostly because I prefer Bonnet to Barden (but not by a large margin, I thought Gary sounded great on the first two MSGs), plus Birch's production kicked bootay on AA imo. I think only Desert Song and Ulcer compare to the best songs on MSG II, like the monumental Let Sleeping Dogs Lie and But I Want More.

I do really like some of Budokan, but for some reason play the abovementioned RWND much more (probably because I far prefer the renditions of the Built to Destroy tracks to their studio counterparts). 

Anyone else think ole Axel Rose might have been a fan of Barden on those old MSG albums?
    Post edited by Haffner on
    edited December 2019
    For the live MSG performances, I actually like the Rockpalast show/video best, even though they hadn't done the second album yet.  Songs like Feels Like a Good Thing, and Looking Out from Nowhere are some of my favorite MSG songs.  To me, it also feels and sounds less like a soundboard recording than Budokan.  But they're all great. 
    For the live MSG performances, I actually like the Rockpalast show/video best, even though they hadn't done the second album yet.  Songs like Feels Like a Good Thing, and Looking Out from Nowhere are some of my favorite MSG songs.  To me, it also feels and sounds less like a soundboard recording than Budokan.  But they're all great. 

I completely agree with that Rockpalast show. Iirc, Natural Thing was great on that one as well.
    Haffner said:

I completely agree with that Rockpalast show. Iirc, Natural Thing was great on that one as well.
    I take this back, I really loved the Natural Thing performance from the Hamburg 1981 show (another excellent one imo).