Obsession UFO

Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 643
edited October 2019 in Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes
Lights out was so produced, polite and melodic I'm assuming coming to obsession Michael had been inspired by VH 1 to up the ante,  heavier sound, pick /string slides, etc.....though haven't checked the timeline vs VH 1. It's interesting Ritchie also heavied up his sound around 78, augmented of course by the Taurus bass pedals
Post edited by Bent out of shape on

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,436
    'Lights Out' is a great record but I would argue that 'Obsession' is UFO's best studio album.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,681
    Obsession is UFO with Mikey at their best. There isn't a studio Mikey album that isn't good, but Obsession is the high point for me. I like the first side of No Heavy Petting more in terms of songwriting, but Michael was at his best on Obsession. 
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,050
    Lights out was so produced, polite and melodic I'm assuming coming to obsession Michael had been inspired by VH 1 to up the ante,  heavier sound, pick /string slides, etc.....though haven't checked the timeline vs VH 1. 
    Yes its an interesting thought...

VH 1 was recorded Aug-Sept 77 and released Feb 78
    Obsession was recorded late 77 and 78 released June 78

...so the time frame to be influenced was possibly there. However VH supported UFO way back in May 76 so there's a good chance Michael was influenced from an earlier time if he caught his support act. The gig was bootleged and put out under the title Eatin' Schenkers For Breakfast http://www.vhboots.com/eatinschenkers.html
  • I think NHP maybe has better songs overall, but Schenker is on fire on Obsession. They're both better than Lights Out IMO, not that Lights Out is bad. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,042
    All the Mad Mikey UFO albums are killer tho, we can all kind of agree on that, no? 
  • Stitsel said:
    All the Mad Mikey UFO albums are killer tho, we can all kind of agree on that, no? 
    Yes, we can. His work in those records is essential Dino bible stuff. 
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 593
    edited December 2019
    I played MSG - One night at Budokan yesterday whilst working out and it's been a while since it was on rotation.
    Went straight to 'Lost Horizons' and was blown away all over again.  The cleaness and the tone are just breathtaking, (helped by the remastering I think) 

Fully agree with Obsession comments but ONIB would be my desert island dose of Mikey, even over SITN and that's saying something

Post edited by The Seeker on
  • ONIB would be my desert island dose of Mikey, even over SITN and that's saying something

SITN historically gets all the love, but I've always felt Budokan was just as good. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    SITN's song selection is incredible. Budokan just has that big stage energy that SITN and UFO don't. Good thing we don't have to choose one.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Budokan is kind of the best of the first two MSG albums -live, and I still feel the first two MSG albums were (and remain) the best two.  They still had Cozy, and it was just beastly.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,763
    Budokan is kind of the best of the first two MSG albums -live, and I still feel the first two MSG albums were (and remain) the best two.  They still had Cozy, and it was just beastly.
    Agreed 100%  
    And while I love SITN, I prefer ONIB.  
  • SITN is close to being my favorite live album ever. Just saying.

i haven’t heard ONIB in a while now. Maybe it’s time for a revisit.

Budokan is kind of the best of the first two MSG albums -live, and I still feel the first two MSG albums were (and remain) the best two.  They still had Cozy, and it was just beastly.
    Strong words considering Assault Attack also exists. Also, iirc, Cozy didn’t play in the debut album, did he?
  • No, it was Simon Phillips on the first one.

Just my opinion. I have the studio albums rated like this:
    1. MSG1
    2. MSG2
    3. Assault Attack
    Everything else in regards to full albums was a significant fall off the cliff.
  • No, it was Simon Phillips on the first one.

Just my opinion. I have the studio albums rated like this:
    1. MSG1
    2. MSG2
    3. Assault Attack
    Everything else in regards to full albums was a significant fall off the cliff.
    I have a hard time rating them. I probably like them the same, to be honest. That said, they are the ONLY MSG studio albums I listen from start to finish, and I agree that specific tracks aside, everything that came after is not essential.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,763
    I'd rate them like this:
    1. MSG2
    2. MSG1  
    3. Assault Attack. 

I don't put MSG1 far below MSG 2, though.  Built To Destroy was a significant nosedive but is still an enjoyable album. And AFAIC, all that follows is disposable, except "In the Midst of Beauty" which, out of the blue, had good songs and recaptured some of the old vibe.