Comments

  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, he relapsed. This sucks.

    I got a big laugh out of the fact he's blaming putting his metal pick on his mouth while tapping. I am sure the 40+ years of chain smoking had nothing to do with it...

    That said, if you are gonna get cancer, you might as well get one that's among the less lethal ones. Dickinson went thru this (and quite graphically described it in his book) and Mustaine is allegedly on his way to a full recovery too. EVH might be able to pull this off just like last time.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • M11M11 Posts: 824
    Where there's smoke, there's fire. Definitely not good.
    Steve Lukather commented on EVH's health issues not too long ago and it coincides with DLR's statements regarding the future of VH (i.e. they're basically done).
  • I got a big laugh out of the fact he's blaming putting his metal pick on his mouth while tapping. I am sure the 40+ years of chain smoking had nothing to do with it...
    If lying caused tongue or throat cancer, he'd have been dead 20 years ago,
    When I was 16, I had three bumper stickers on the back of my Dodge Dart: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The WHO.  Not much has changed. 
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,665
    Oddly enough Steve Vai commented on IG just a few days ago that a mutual friend visited Eddie just a week ago and all was good.  Who knows who or what to believe.

    I am no expert but I would guess his cancer is the result of a combination of smoking, drinking and even HPV.  Metal pick nonsense is just that.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,584
    Doesn't sound good - if he's needed treatment for 5 years, sounds like they can't get rid of it. Although it might just be check-ups, I guess. 
    But that stuff about metal picks is garbage: smoking and/or HPV. Hopefully the latter - better prognosis.
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 997
    Someone posted a link to this recent pic of him:

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157291795209193&set=a.10150261461959193&type=3&theater

    Certainly looks like he's on steroids.
  • Andy G said:
    Someone posted a link to this recent pic of him:

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157291795209193&set=a.10150261461959193&type=3&theater

    Certainly looks like he's on steroids.
    Whoa!! that sure looks weird.

    I read prednison can cause that. or prescription drugs mixed with alcohol abuse, which wouldn't surprise me. I hope he can pull it off.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,377
    It's probably his treatments causing that....although I Ed sure isn't the poster boy for good health. Hope he pulls through this and gets healthy. Would like to see him do more with music. VH is probably done but Ed should put out a solo record like Iommi did in the early 2000's where he worked with various singers and musicians.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,613
    Identifying the "Best  / Innovative / Out of Nowhere" guitarists who had the biggest influence on the following decade I've "personally" always felt ............

    '50s influencing the '60s ........ Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, James Burton and Link Ray. 

    '60s influencing the '70s ........ Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton.

    '70s influencing the '80s ........ Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads.

    '80s influencing the '90s .......   Joe Satriani, Gary Moore.

    '90s influencing 2000 ......   Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson.

    2000 influencing 2010 ...... I got nothing.

    2010 influencing 2020 ....... Sorry. Still nothing.

    I guess I'm saying that because the 1980's seems to be the prime time of Dino Rock here on the Dino Rock forum and the the technique and skill level of guitarists in the 1980's probably learned and owe more to Eddie Van Halen than any other guitarist ........... it just feels kinda sad to diss the man after he possibly gave the most important contribution to the radically new guitar style of the 1980's. Subtract Eddie from the late '70s and I just don't see the '80s becoming ½ of what they became.

    I'll just pray for Eddie's health and thank him for his contributions to guitar players everywhere.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,995
    Very well put inmyhands 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,377
    edited October 2019
    inmyhands said:
    Identifying the "Best  / Innovative / Out of Nowhere" guitarists who had the biggest influence on the following decade I've "personally" always felt ............

    '50s influencing the '60s ........ Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, James Burton and Link Ray. 

    '60s influencing the '70s ........ Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton.

    '70s influencing the '80s ........ Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads.

    '80s influencing the '90s .......   Joe Satriani, Gary Moore.

    '90s influencing 2000 ......   Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson.

    2000 influencing 2010 ...... I got nothing.

    2010 influencing 2020 ....... Sorry. Still nothing.

    I guess I'm saying that because the 1980's seems to be the prime time of Dino Rock here on the Dino Rock forum and the the technique and skill level of guitarists in the 1980's probably learned and owe more to Eddie Van Halen than any other guitarist ........... it just feels kinda sad to diss the man after he possibly gave the most important contribution to the radically new guitar style of the 1980's. Subtract Eddie from the late '70s and I just don't see the '80s becoming ½ of what they became.

    I'll just pray for Eddie's health and thank him for his contributions to guitar players everywhere.
    I agree with some of the decade assessments except I would say that 80's influencing the late 80's and 90's would be Randy and Malmsteen. Both influential Ozzy/Randy albums were recorded and released in the early 80's. Randy's club days were in the 70's and he probably influenced some of that LA scene at the time...but that scene did not flourish until the 80's. Malmsteen had a much bigger impact than Satriani did back then.....and probably more than Gary Moore. Gary influenced more European players and besides guys like Norum, Vivian Campbell and John Sykes I don't hear many other guys from back in the 80's and 90's directly lifting from him. But yeah I agree with the point you were making and very well said. I fully agree with what you are saying about Eddie. He was the late 70's and early 80's equivalent to Hendrix in my opinion.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • Duojett71 said:
    inmyhands said:
    Identifying the "Best  / Innovative / Out of Nowhere" guitarists who had the biggest influence on the following decade I've "personally" always felt ............

    '50s influencing the '60s ........ Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, James Burton and Link Ray. 

    '60s influencing the '70s ........ Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton.

    '70s influencing the '80s ........ Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads.

    '80s influencing the '90s .......   Joe Satriani, Gary Moore.

    '90s influencing 2000 ......   Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson.

    2000 influencing 2010 ...... I got nothing.

    2010 influencing 2020 ....... Sorry. Still nothing.

    I guess I'm saying that because the 1980's seems to be the prime time of Dino Rock here on the Dino Rock forum and the the technique and skill level of guitarists in the 1980's probably learned and owe more to Eddie Van Halen than any other guitarist ........... it just feels kinda sad to diss the man after he possibly gave the most important contribution to the radically new guitar style of the 1980's. Subtract Eddie from the late '70s and I just don't see the '80s becoming ½ of what they became.

    I'll just pray for Eddie's health and thank him for his contributions to guitar players everywhere.
    I agree with some of the decade assessments except I would say that 80's influencing the late 80's and 90's would be Randy and Malmsteen. Both influential Ozzy/Randy albums were recorded and released in the early 80's. Randy's club days were in the 70's and he probably influenced some of that LA scene at the time...but that scene did not flourish until the 80's. Malmsteen had a much bigger impact than Satriani did back then.....and probably more than Gary Moore. Gary influenced more European players and besides guys like Norum, Vivian Campbell and John Sykes I don't hear many other guys from back in the 80's and 90's directly lifting from him. But yeah I agree with the point you were making and very well said. I fully agree with what you are saying about Eddie. He was the late 70's and early 80's equivalent to Hendrix in my opinion.
    EVH's level of influence can never be properly measured, IMHO. The man hit like a ton of bricks back then. EVERYBODY was lifting from him to a certain degree.

    That said, I think we can add YJM as another guy who created a huge buzz back then. Maybe even more than Rhoads, according to the guys who were there.

    Also, Michael Schenker and Gary Moore were a huge factor, I would say. Thing is, they were guys guitar players knew about, but weren't household names to the general public the way EVH was. Plenty of guys lifted from them, like the Priest and Maiden guys, for example. Killing Maching (or Hell Bent for Leather, depending on your side of the pond) has plenty of EVH, Schenker and Moore influenced stuff if you really pay attention. And a guy like Adrian Smith owes a lot of his soloing style to mad Mikey and Gary as well. I would even venture to say this applies to Randy Rhoads as well.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,047
    edited October 2019
    Also, Michael Schenker and Gary Moore were a huge factor, I would say. Thing is, they were guys guitar players knew about, but weren't household names to the general public the way EVH was.
    Here in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s Gary was way better known than EVH. Van Halen were never a household name over here sadly. Gary had the benefit of his work with Lizzy (who were a household name) and a hit single under his own name to raise his profile before the 80s had had even started. Schenker was probably the least well known over here of those three but none of them ever reached the heights of being a household name.
    Post edited by Osky on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,377
    M11 said:
    oh wow...that is hilarious.....a shot of Eddie taking a picture of a tool at a Tool show....
Sign In or Register to comment.