Wow, I totally called this... Downing getting together with Binks and Owens!!

Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,699
edited September 2019 in Current News
at least for a single show... Dave Ellefson, of all people, seems to be the architect of this.

I know it hasn't been a month since I brought this up. Wow, maybe I should by a lottery ticket now hahaha

This is on Owens FB. Not seen it anywhere else yet...

WORLD EXCLUSIVE.!!! Megadeth's Legendary Bassist David Ellefson joins forces with our very own Judas Priest founding member K.K. Downing to perform a one off exclusive in #wolverhampton as part of David's 'More LIVE with Deth' 2019 European Tour.

The evening will consist of a full band set from Ellefson’s Sleeping Giants band featuringThöm Häzäert, followed by a full-length set of Priest Classics with legendary former Judas Priest guitarist K.K. Downing, former Judas Priest drummer Les Binks and former Judas Priest vocalist Tim "Ripper" Owens. In addition to this we get a fantastic support set from former Iron Maiden vocalist Official Blaze Bayley.

Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
kk.jpg 74.1K

Comments

• Not tempted at all honestly.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Not tempted at all honestly.
    Me neither. It's very cool to know KK will appear on stage again, but for a one-off they could have devised something more surprising or upscale than a set of JP covers with Ripper Owens  :sleeping: :skull:  How exciting... 

• Well, to be fair it's a one time only live performance. It's not like they would come up with new music for that. Sides, Ellefson is apparently a huge Priest fan and the three guys are all ex Priest members... What else would they do?

I am on the wrong side of the pond. Otherwise I would totally go for it. Just a chance of catching Binks would be a treat for me.
  • Well, to be fair it's a one time only live performance. It's not like they would come up with new music for that. 
    Of course not. But if the whole thing is about having Priest alumni on stage, they should definitely have invited Al Atkins for the older songs  (that said, maybe they did, but I doubt it). Oh well, Owens is still better than a Halford hologram, I guess. 

• Of course not. But if the whole thing is about having Priest alumni on stage, they should definitely have invited Al Atkins for the older songs  (that said, maybe they did, but I doubt it). Oh well, Owens is still better than a Halford hologram, I guess. 

I doubt they invited him. I don't think he would have said no...

Apparently there are people out there that wanna hear Owens-era Priest material live (not me, but people are weird) . I would be happy with 70's material only, to be honest, but it will probably be the hits like usual.
  • dinomikesr1963dinomikesr1963 Posts: 499
    edited September 2019
    Yawns.  Next.  Never listened to any Ripper Owens JP stuff.  Never listened to Owens.  Can't get excited over it at all.  KK was part of something great and he gave it up.    
    Post edited by dinomikesr1963 on
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,318
    edited September 2019
    I actually think Downing and Ripper should do a project or band together. K.K. speaks highly of Owens in his book and he was already in a band with him. Binks is my favorite Priest drummer and I would love to see him involved as well. Anything to get K.K. playing and active again. Find an unknown second guitar player and bass player from the UK he gels with. Hopefully this show will give KK the itch again.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799
    Duojett71 said:
    I actually think Downing and Ripper should do a project or band together. K.K. speaks highly of Owens in his book and he was already in a band with him. Binks is my favorite Priest drummer and I would love to see him involved as well. Anything to get K.K. playing and active again. Find an unknown second guitar player and bass player from the UK he gels with. Hopefully this show will give KK the itch again.
    I too love Binks. My current girl is friends with KK and she says she doubts KK is going to take much of a solo route; apparently KK's attitude is Priest or nothing. I just hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot with that attitude...if he puts something good (better than this) together on his own, I'll buy it.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799
    edited September 2019
    Well, to be fair it's a one time only live performance. It's not like they would come up with new music for that. 
    Of course not. But if the whole thing is about having Priest alumni on stage, they should definitely have invited Al Atkins for the older songs  (that said, maybe they did, but I doubt it). Oh well, Owens is still better than a Halford hologram, I guess. 

Al was a delightful surprise on my album; he proved his voice was still excellent as a bluesy instrument, but even cooler he pulled a great comic, funky turn on his main song. 

Al will understandably be kept waaaay in the shadow of Rob (very few aren't in that shadow, particularly the world-sized one engendered by his freeky performances on the 70s albums). But he was still a world class vocalist. I'm looking forward to having him work under me again, great experience of him as an employee.
    Post edited by Haffner on