Born Again

For some reason I've never got round to getting this. Heard Trashed before but that was about it. 
Until last week, after watching (and laughing at) interviews with Tony Iommi and Ian Gillan. 
Got the deluxe version, so there's some live material on CD2. 
Holy moly there are some AMAZING tunes on this. I mean, I've heard screams before, but nothing comes CLOSE to Ian letting rip during Disturbing the Priest - which is my favourite tune on the album. 
Need to give it more spins, but so far nothing sounded anything other than high quality rock/metal. 
Although the production is pretty ropy. Shame they lost the tapes. So my ears had to acclimatise. 

Worth it though. 

Comments

• Great album inspite of the production!
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    Born Again occupies it's own separate niche in heavy metal history..... I never got the incessant slamming of that album....it was like, did anyone actually even listen to it !?! Super heavy from top to bottom, über-riffage from Tony, awesome bass from Geez & spine tingling, blood curdling screams from Gillan.....Gillan never sounded more menacing before or since....I read somewhere once that he said he blew his voice out making that album, and I believe it. Just a shockingly heavy album for 1983.I had tickets to see them in Seattle & they cancelled....

Hot Line, Digital Bitch,Keep It Warm....title track....all killer tunes IMO .....shit I need to score that deluxe version....
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,603
    The song Black Sabbath with Ian on vocals is very cool. 
    Interestingly for whatever reason all the Ozzy era songs are taken down a tone.
  • In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    Read it, it's what finally made me jump.
    Curious about the production: if, as is alleged, Ian Gillan blew the tweeters on the studio monitors used to create the mix/production, surely it'd be really trebly as they tried to compensate? Doesn't sound like that to me. Sounds muffled. Doesn't make sense. 
  • Never cared for it.  Listened to it at a friends house when it came out and didn't care for Gillan's voice.  Still don't, but I did buy the Who Cares album he did with Iommi, McBrain, and Newsted. 
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,450
    I have that album on vinyl and two versions of the CD including the Deluxe version. It is actually my favorite Sabbath album....with 'Sabotage' being a very very close second. My only issue with 'Born Again' is it seems like it should have at least one more song on it.....but it still clocks in at almost 40 minutes without "The Dark" or "Stonehenge". The mix probably should have been much better but it really never bothered me because the songs and performances were so good. I also love all the stories behind making that album....some of which are documented in Gillan's lyrics ("Trashed" and "Disturbing The Priest").
  • A really good album that got a lot of unfair bashing. In a ranking of Sabbath albums, I'd put it somewhere in the middle of the list: I like it, but a bit like an object of curiosity.  Gillan's performance is terrific, but to me, he's so strongly associated with DP that I always experienced a weird "mashup" feeling when hearing his voice in the context of Sabbath's dark or epic stuff.  

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,674
    I was and still am a huge Gillian fan.  However, at the time of release it didn’t resonate with me and I thought the album was awful.  I missed Dio!  Today I actually think the album holds up much better than I recall when released.  I saw a show on this tour and they were horrific.  I thought Quiet Riot as the opener just crushed them.  I thought at that point Sabbath was dead!
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    edited September 2019
    Duojett71 said:
     My only issue with 'Born Again' is it seems like it should have at least one more song on it
    Ha. This one I can help you with!

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Saw them at Reading, not great .....the new material came across best though wasn't as yet released. A lot of the LP holds up I agree.
  • Even as I became more actively aware of production as a listener (and producer) the production on Born Again never really bothered me.  Is it great? No. Is it as bad as people have said? I don't hear that either.  When I think of poorly-produced albums, Born Again isn't one that immediately springs to mind.  Just off the top of my head, to me, it's better produced than things like WS 87, Thin Lizzy's Fighting, UFO's Phenomenon
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    edited September 2019
    You all have heard the Born Again demos, right....?  It has a different running order, different mix & frankly it's every bit as good as the original LP we all know.....I could care less about "poor production" or whatever, myself.....I love the original version but the Born Again demos have a darker feel & some of the tunes are arranged a bit differently too, if I remember correctly; either Stonehenge or The Dark is about 5 minutes .....I also believe there's an extra, unreleased tune on there that was pretty decent too, if memory serves me correct....I will dig around & try to find it, haven't heard it in years :o

Wait.... I found it.....my God..... Zero The Hero freaking RULES on this demo version...I'd forgotten....sinister is the word..... & Tony peels off a superb solo on said tune.....I have to say this album might not be my fave Sab album, but it's definitely in my Top 5.
    Post edited by Stitsel on
    Duojett71 said:
     My only issue with 'Born Again' is it seems like it should have at least one more song on it

Yes, that's track 1 of the "bonus" disc on the remastered issue. Then there's a longer version of Stonehenge, and some live tracks. No live Disturbing.. though, sadly. 
    Regarding the demos, I'd read somewhere that they originated from Bill Ward, who took a cassette home that had come off the board pre-mix/mastering. 
    No idea if that's true, but it's a good story. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,450
    Duojett71 said:

Yeah I have that song on the Deluxe edition. They should have put it on the album....the song has a bit of a Zeppelin vibe to it.