Got invited to a gig

Boy, I need to take this to the wife. Our baby is still too young but oh well.

A couple guys I know, a drummer and a keyboard/guitar player are forming a cover band. Steady gig, they already have been hired at a local club. both great musicians and very experienced, as they are several years older than me (One of them has been playing since the late 70's). They are looking for a lead guitar player, basically. I have known them forever, and they thought of me. I am flattered, actually.

Classic Rock is the game (i know: these days that would mean Nirvana, the way I see it). They would basically focus on 70's and 80's stuff, with some 60's and 90's as well. The names Beatles, Doors, Floyd and Zep were mentioned. for 80's stuff Whitesnake and Def Leppard were brought into the conversation.

Last year I got invited to a Sabbath tribute. I had to pass when I injured my shoulder. I am almost up to speed now, and it's not like I would be playing speed metal. I think I would enjoy this a lot, but as I said, I need to take this to the missus. I already have a lot of work as it is...

I'll let you guys know if this actually happens.

Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,588
    Would the band be staying local or do the other guys hope to take it on the road? That makes a huge difference.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    inmyhands said:
    Would the band be staying local or do the other guys hope to take it on the road? That makes a huge difference.
    Strictly local, as far as I can tell. They are forming for the specific purpose of playing at this club, which is new as well. No further agenda so far.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    Could be a fun low maintenance gig if it's the same set and at the same venue every time. You will just have to learn and practice together for the first time and then you can be on autopilot until you get bored of the material. Have fun!
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    Could be a fun low maintenance gig if it's the same set and at the same venue every time. You will just have to learn and practice together for the first time and then you can be on autopilot until you get bored of the material. Have fun!
    That's what I am thinking, yeah. I already know a bunch of the material, I would guess. I might end up doing it for a while and end it if I get bored.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
    Easy work, full of fun and I think, compatible with your family life. Go on. 
  • sounds fun good luck dude
    My music videos and everything else: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCledLngWDeoZ0rzjIU6Pxzw
    I forgot to update on this: It fell off. Not my fault, actually. The drummer's wife went all Yoko on him, trying to call the shots and even having a say on the set list. and the keyboard player decided he is too old to be dealing with that crap. Can't blame him. When he explained the whole situation to me I had to agree. Better things might turn up eventually.
  • M11M11 Posts: 815
    I forgot to update on this: It fell off. Not my fault, actually. The drummer's wife went all Yoko on him, trying to call the shots and even having a say on the set list.
    Drummers... the reason why drum machines were invented. :lol: 
    This sucks, so you never made it past rehearsals?
    M11 said:
    I forgot to update on this: It fell off. Not my fault, actually. The drummer's wife went all Yoko on him, trying to call the shots and even having a say on the set list.
    Drummers... the reason why drum machines were invented. :lol: 
    This sucks, so you never made it past rehearsals?

Nope. The things is, he was the one who got us the gig in the first place, as he knows the club owner. Because of this, his wife felt entitled to have a say in all the band matters. Keep in mind, she is a hair stylist and after talking to her once, I concluded that her level of expertise on music related issues was in the negative numbers. We were gonna play classic rock and she kept bringing spanish pop from the 80's into the equation. The guy is a great drummer, but he is totally whipped, and has no balls whatsoever. This experience also reminded me why I stay away from gigging these days. Dealing with other people gets tiresome after you reach a certain age.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    See if you like the other players before you commit. If you think it looks like it'll be fun, or not too much headache, you learn a lot doing gigs like these, playing songs you might not ordinarily play.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    See if you like the other players before you commit. If you think it looks like it'll be fun, or not too much headache, you learn a lot doing gigs like these, playing songs you might not ordinarily play.

Thing is, I like both guys. I have known them forever, and as older, more seasoned players than me, I would be lying if I didn't say I haven't learned a lot from them at various stages of my life. The problem here was that one of them has no spine, and the other one has too much of it...