Blue Öyster Cult to release a new studio album in 2020

Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,739
edited July 2019 in Current News
BÖC have signed with Frontiers Records and will release a new album in 2020.  The latest one was the excellent "Curse Of The Hidden Mirror", which was.... 18 years ago. 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blue-oyster-cult-to-release-long-awaited-new-studio-album-in-2020/

As a huge BÖC fan, I'm excited about that, but I'm a bit wary too...  I got used to the idea of "Curse..." being their swan song, especially as it was a very strong album.  Now Allen Lanier is no longer here, and the Bouchard brothers left a long time ago, but as long as Eric and Buck are still there, it's still very much BÖC, I guess. 

After all, they said 18 years ago that the old gods would return, so who knows...

Post edited by Seven Moons on

Comments

• StitselStitsel Posts: 1,995
    I'm waiting.....
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,613
    and I'm hoping!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,377
    I just wish they would get Al and Joe Bouchard back. They were too important to the band and both (especially Al) were principle songwriters. I always loved both of their voices and they added a great dynamic to the band. I have seen BOC about 4 or 5  times starting around '95 or so. The first couple times was with Jon Rodges on bass who was also an excellent vocalist.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,739
    Duojett71 said:
    I just wish they would get Al and Joe Bouchard back. They were too important to the band and both (especially Al) were principle songwriters. I always loved both of their voices and they added a great dynamic to the band. 
    I agree, they were a major ingredient in classic BÖC, and I'd love to see them back in the band. But I don't think it will happen. The line-up on the new album consists of Eric, Buck, Richie Castellano, Danny Miranda and Jules Radino.  

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,377
    Yeah I have seen them once or twice with Danny Miranda....the last time was around '98 at City Fest in Charlotte. Bobby Rondinelli was on drums. I know Rudy Sarzo and Kasim Sultan were on bass after Danny Left years ago.

My brother saw Albert's band The Brain Surgeons years ago and met Al after the show. He said in the late 70's, Eric and Buck started acting strange towards him.....Eric insisted on singing "Cities On Flame..." and it seemed they wanted to take away any spotlight from him until finally they forced him out. It's a shame because Albert is probably my favorite member of the classic BOC. Musically there really was no other band like them in the 70's.
  • DivasaurusDivasaurus Posts: 56
    YES!  LI FOREVER!
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,889
    edited August 2019
    If they can eclipse the quality of their 2001 release Curse Of The Hidden Mirror, then I´m more than happy.
    And I believe they can.

However,
    You know I love BOC, but without the Bouchards and Allen (RIP) they´ll never make albums like Cültosaurus Erectus, Fire Of Unknown Origin or Secret Treaties again. 
    Post edited by Agrippa on
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,760
    BOC are one of my all time favorite bands...but with to many members not there now, I don't have my hopes up.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,995
    I still have faith Buck & Bloom can pull this off.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,889
    Duojett71 said:
    I just wish they would get Al and Joe Bouchard back. They were too important to the band and both (especially Al) were principle songwriters. I always loved both of their voices and they added a great dynamic to the band. 
    I agree, they were a major ingredient in classic BÖC, and I'd love to see them back in the band. But I don't think it will happen. The line-up on the new album consists of Eric, Buck, Richie Castellano, Danny Miranda and Jules Radino.  

The reason why they don´t get together, Albert explained in an interview a couple years ago, is; the Bouchards want to play, record and perform new music, Buck and Eric not so much
    If you compare the Bouchards band, Blue Coupes, output with the output of BOC the last two decades, you get the feeling he was speaking the truth.
    I have a couple of Blue Coupes albums, I like it but are not overenthusiastic about them.
    This is still fun, though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85L1vekEcvM