Comments

• DivasaurusDivasaurus Posts: 56
    I saw that on Reverb and posted it with something like "that ain't no goody good bullshit!"

Is this now the highest netting guitar at auction?  Does anyone know?
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,739
    edited June 2019
    Wow. I was expecting something in the same ballpark as Hendrix's Woodstock strat (along with Mc Cartney's bass, those are probably the most iconic guitars of all time) but that's almost twice the price of Jimi's guitar.  
    And the "0001" strat fetched 1.815 million, which isn't too shabby either. 

Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,496
    I saw that on Reverb and posted it with something like "that ain't no goody good bullshit!"

yes, and by a fair sum.

yes, and by a fair sum.
    The former top 10:
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,047
    Brian is a brave man still touring with his Red Special, that's gotta be worth a fortune!
    Question for the forum.  Is this guitar and the price tag that it sold for solely based on its owner?  From what I'm to understand this guitar is made up of many different parts from different years even?  Like neck is from one year etc...

I ask only in that it just seems to me, when you think of the fact that like Clapton I think auctioned off some of his famous guitars and others have too and they didn't sell as high I was wondering what makes THIS one so special save for it being David Gilmours'?
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,571
    Two words.. Comfortably Numb ;)

Well, a couple more, somewhere KK Downing is like :o
    Osky said:
    Brian is a brave man still touring with his Red Special, that's gotta be worth a fortune!
    Oh noooooo....he never made... like as close facsimile as possible copies for touring?  
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,047
    Osky said:
    Oh noooooo....he never made... like as close facsimile as possible copies for touring?  
    He has had copies made and takes them on tour as back ups or for dropped D tuning songs etc but he prefers the real thing. His insurance costs must be mental!
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2019
    Question for the forum.  Is this guitar and the price tag that it sold for solely based on its owner?  From what I'm to understand this guitar is made up of many different parts from different years even?  Like neck is from one year etc...

I ask only in that it just seems to me, when you think of the fact that like Clapton I think auctioned off some of his famous guitars and others have too and they didn't sell as high I was wondering what makes THIS one so special save for it being David Gilmours'?
    It could be made of random garage crap he put together and it would still cost this. it's Gilmour's most legendary axe. That's all you need.

As far as rock star pedigree and stature goes, only The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Queen are on the same level as Pink Floyd in the general public's perception, in my opinion. They have transcended the fact their played rock music or used such and such instruments. Their music is on a legendary status. What Clapton and Hendrix played, on the other hand, is of course a huge deal, but mostly to guitar players exclusively.

Legend has it that guitar has had a lot of stuff on it. Even Charvel necks from the 70's, which are allegedly among the best guitar necks ever made. I am no expert of that guitar, but I am sure the guy at gilmourish.com knows all there's to know about it.

ADD: Yep, a Charvel neck for Comfortably Numb and it stayed there almost 20 years, according to that site. It now has a Fender reissue neck. That guitar has had A LOT of stuff done to it.

Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
    Question for the forum.  Is this guitar and the price tag that it sold for solely based on its owner? 
    Yes, definitely.  This guitar was constantly undergoing transformations, so it's not like a period-correct instrument or something like that. But its owner makes it a legendary item. There's even a book about it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-History-Gilmours-Stratocaster/dp/1423492706/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+black+strat&qid=1561139908&s=gateway&sr=8-2

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,613
    ?    Didn't the Gary Moore / Peter Green Les Paul sell for $1,000,000? Why isn't it on the top 10 list?
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    inmyhands said:
    ?    Didn't the Gary Moore / Peter Green Les Paul sell for $1,000,000? Why isn't it on the top 10 list?
    It was advertised for that price but the sale price was never disclosed.