Mick Box

Here’s a guy who’s seldom been mentioned here. Uriah Heep are celebrating a career of 50 years, and Mick is the only original member who’s still in the band - and god knows how many line-up changes they’ve undergone.  

It would take a large stretch of the imagination to call him a virtuoso, especially when compared with his contemporaries Blackmore, Iommi and Page. However, I think he can be very effective when he just plays for the song: his very pronounced « cocked » wah tone makes the short melodic lines pop up and scream (his extended live solo spots, on the other hand, can be cringeworthy).  

In any case, he’s a true dino IMO, still rocking his ass off at 72. He also comes across as a cheerful person, which probably was an important factor in the longevity of his band. Not sure if anyone here still cares about them, but their last 4 or 5 releases have been very consistent. I enjoy these albums and the way they sound - fine update of the Heep's 70s style IMO.  

Here are three typical examples of Mick’s playing:

49 years ago: 

in 2008, on the album that pretty much resurrected Uriah Heep after ten years of silence - the aptly titled « Wake the Sleeper »:

in 2014, live: 

Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    I doubt there's anyone here who doesn't like Heep at some level. They were always mentioned 4th in the 70's but only because this was the era in which Zep, Purple and Sabbath existed.

He wasn't exactly the most noticeable member of the band, that's true, but he's still there after all these years. That's gotta count for something...
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,969
    I've always dug Heep & Box's playing in particular.....I saw them play a free show in a local Seattle nightclub about 15 yrs ago & I got to witness him all night from about 10 feet away.....his playing was stellar & he was obviously having a good time.....
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,654
    I love Mick's playing. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his playing. 
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
    Loved the original band. For some reason never got into all the other versions that followed.I guess i was spoiled by Byrons amazing vocals, and micks guitar and Hensleys keyboards..... Mick is great! 
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 853
    Lawton was great too.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    shaggy said:
    Lawton was great too.
    ^This.