Gary Moore

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    Review of the Blackmore Biography:
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/641

My comment to the review:
    Submitted by Dinosaur David B on Wed, 12/10/2008 - 19:18.

Very interesting read. Quite a look a RB's early career. It takes 100 pages to get to DP MkI. 

As for showing Blackmore in a new light, Legacy01 is being polite.  RITCHIE COMES OFF AS A COLOSSAL DOUCHEBAG.

Perhaps because he WAS A COLOSSAL DOUCHEBAG.  By all accounts of a lot of people who encountered him, he's selfish to the core, and lousy to just about everyone.

I love Ritchie's music and guitar work, but it's hard to admire him beyond that after reading this.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    this has been an interesting thread.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    I always thought that possibly Blackmore was perceived as an asshole because of his acidic sense of humour. 
    There can be a very mean edge to a lot of British wit, which maybe isn't always understood by non-Brits.

That and the fact that we're a bunch of miserable bastards....   :)
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    edited June 2019
    Snoogans said:
    I always thought that possibly Blackmore was perceived as an asshole because of his acidic sense of humour. 
    There can be a very mean edge to a lot of British wit, which maybe isn't always understood by non-Brits.

That and the fact that we're a bunch of miserable bastards....   :)
    it's ok to be a miserable bastard, and it's ok to be a prick.  as an artist, the world will kick the shit out of you over and over again.  the world doesn't care, why should the artist? fuck it, give some back.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    I agree with some of that.  For 40 years, we never knew exactly why Ritchie went off at Cal Jam. But when his video came out a few years back, where Ritchie explained why he got pissed off at Cal Jam, and his position about it, I was TOTALLY WITH HIM. I think he was 100% right under those circumstances. There are times you draw a line and you hold it based on the principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dUsL9Q6EJw&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WgcY72fy1U

That said, this is not what I mean about him consistently and repeatedly "being an asshole to people" who didn't deserve it, as described in his bio.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    Review of the Blackmore Biography:
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/641

My comment to the review:
    Submitted by Dinosaur David B on Wed, 12/10/2008 - 19:18.

Very interesting read. Quite a look a RB's early career. It takes 100 pages to get to DP MkI. 

As for showing Blackmore in a new light, Legacy01 is being polite.  RITCHIE COMES OFF AS A COLOSSAL DOUCHEBAG.

Perhaps because he WAS A COLOSSAL DOUCHEBAG.  By all accounts of a lot of people who encountered him, he's selfish to the core, and lousy to just about everyone.

I love Ritchie's music and guitar work, but it's hard to admire him beyond that after reading this.

Well, yes, I remember reading this book, and thinking on several occasions it was surprising that Ritchie didn't get knocked in the face by someone.  Or maybe it happened, and he didn't brag about it. 
  • One of the more infamous stories about Blackers is the time he got into it with Phil Mogg. Blackers got his panties into a twist over something Mogg said or did. He found the biggest roadie on Rainbow’s crew and tracked Mogg to the bar at the hotel where UFO was staying at. Mogg was at the bar drinking a beer and reading a newspaper. Blackers came up behind and tapped him on the shoulder with the roadie as back up. When Mogg turned around, Blackers starts going off.

What Blackers didn’t know was that before he became a singer, Mogg was a Golden Gloves boxer (apparently London’s GG champ).

Mogg looks at Blackers then he looks at the roadie. He then proceeds to knock the roadie out with one punch. Blackers disappears faster than the Road Runner leaving a silhouette of dust shaped like him in his wake.

Mogg sits back down, finishes his beer and his newspaper, steps over the unconscious roadie and goes back to his room.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    Ha that's great!! I've heard a few stories where Blackers got his comeuppance but that's a good one  =)
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 600
    edited June 2019
    still the greatest blackmore story ever  

Post edited by The Seeker on
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    One of the more infamous stories about Blackers is the time he got into it with Phil Mogg. Blackers got his panties into a twist over something Mogg said or did. He found the biggest roadie on Rainbow’s crew and tracked Mogg to the bar at the hotel where UFO was staying at. Mogg was at the bar drinking a beer and reading a newspaper. Blackers came up behind and tapped him on the shoulder with the roadie as back up. When Mogg turned around, Blackers starts going off.

What Blackers didn’t know was that before he became a singer, Mogg was a Golden Gloves boxer (apparently London’s GG champ).

Mogg looks at Blackers then he looks at the roadie. He then proceeds to knock the roadie out with one punch. Blackers disappears faster than the Road Runner leaving a silhouette of dust shaped like him in his wake.

Mogg sits back down, finishes his beer and his newspaper, steps over the unconscious roadie and goes back to his room.
    This is awesome.
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 654
    edited June 2019
    Sirion said:
    One of the more infamous stories about Blackers is the time he got into it with Phil Mogg. Blackers got his panties into a twist over something Mogg said or did. He found the biggest roadie on Rainbow’s crew and tracked Mogg to the bar at the hotel where UFO was staying at. Mogg was at the bar drinking a beer and reading a newspaper. Blackers came up behind and tapped him on the shoulder with the roadie as back up. When Mogg turned around, Blackers starts going off.

This is awesome.
    Great story but where does it come from if you don't mind me asking? Colin Hart's book has a similar anecdote from 1981
    Post edited by Bent out of shape on
  • Sirion said:

This is awesome.
    Great story but where does it come from if you don't mind me asking? Colin Hart's book has a similar anecdote from 1981
    No idea where it comes from. I heard it from Jason Bonham’s drum tech Swede.
  • Sirion said:

This is awesome.

I ran this by an ex Rainbow roadie mate and he's no recollection of this event and reckons it its fabricated. Adding, as documented in Colin Harts autobiography, that they're was a similar incident on that tour, but didn't directly involve RB.
  • Bent out of shape said:
    I ran this by an ex Rainbow roadie mate and he's no recollection of this event and reckons it its fabricated. Adding, as documented in Colin Harts autobiography, that they're was a similar incident on that tour, but didn't directly involve RB.
    Cool.  Like I said, I only know what I heard.  As long as the part of Phil Mogg being London's GG champ is true, then I'm golden. That's the coolest part of that story.

• Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 654
    edited June 2019
    Bent out of shape said:
    Cool.  Like I said, I only know what I heard.  As long as the part of Phil Mogg being London's GG champ is true, then I'm golden. That's the coolest part of that story.

Yeah, that's cool, not sure what GG refers to btw? Golden glove? Mogg played his boxing ability down in a recent interview IIRC
    Post edited by Bent out of shape on