Gary Moore

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,474
    I remember reading stories (not just ONE story) where he was even pretty nasty to his fans -- at least when he was in a bad mood.  Like with Blackmore, you have to separate the guy from the talent and the art.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,037
    I remember reading stories (not just ONE story) where he was even pretty nasty to his fans -- at least when he was in a bad mood.  Like with Blackmore, you have to separate the guy from the talent and the art.
    Definitely! and that applies equally to EVH too.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,687
    edited May 2019
    Duojett71 said:
    I wonder if Gary hated Robbo for geting the accolades for the 'Live and Dangerous' version of the "Still In Love With You Solo"? Which is probably the solo Robbo is most known for. He might have played Gary's solo almost note for note but Robbo killed it.....shit he killed it on that whole fucking record...
    interesting point.  you're probably right
    Funny thing is, while Robbo considers that one his signature song, he was happy to acknowledge that Gary played the original and refused to re record even if Phil insisted on it.
    Osky said:
    I think Gary had quite a competitive and jealous side to him. I can remember him often being quite dismissive and negative about EVH in the early 80s, dismissing his playing as just tricks and stunts, yet he was happy to use many of those techniques with the whammy bar and harmonics himself at the time.

If somebody had asked him (and I am sure plenty of people did) about that on his later, blues phase, I am sure he would have said that he was just going thru the motions of the era, doing what every player needed to do to compete with his peers. Which is nonsense because he was so good at it there's no way that's going thru the motions. Some guys out there were implementing the 80's techniques as part of their playing (The Priest and Maiden guys come to mind) but Gary owned them all skills wise and you can tell they were studying him to a certain degree to get to that level. 

Osky said:
    And Michael Schenker, and YJM, and so and so. The list goes on and on.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
    edited May 2019
    I remember wondering why Sykes didn't play that Lynott Memorial gig.  I didn't know Gary nixed the idea, I guess I wrote it off to a scheduling thing.  Personally I prefer GM in his prime to JS in his prime but in the 2000s..Sykes would've eaten him for lunch.  OTOH IMO this 2018 tribute, while very good doesn't hold a candle to the original:

I heard that one when it was released. I honestly think that's as good as it gets if you can't have Gary playing on it. Sykes is probably one of the only guys who could get it right, aside of maybe Vivian Campbell or John Norum.

Add: and the more I think about it, the more reservations I have about Campbell, since he seems to have based his style on the superfast, hard rock guitar god version of Gary, not the blues side of him.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 579
    I remember wondering why Sykes didn't play that Lynott Memorial gig.  I didn't know Gary nixed the idea, I guess I wrote it off to a scheduling thing.  Personally I prefer GM in his prime to JS in his prime but in the 2000s..Sykes would've eaten him for lunch.  OTOH IMO this 2018 tribute, while very good doesn't hold a candle to the original:

I heard that one when it was released. I honestly think that's as good as it gets if you can't have Gary playing on it. Sykes is probably one of the only guys who could get it right, aside of maybe Vivian Campbell or John Norum.

Add: and the more I think about it, the more reservations I have about Campbell, since he seems to have based his style on the superfast, hard rock guitar god version of Gary, not the blues side of him.
    I'd agree that Sykes, Norum and and to a lesser degree Campbell (in the Dio-era) are great examples of guys that took a lot from Gary's playing in the 80s, but not so much the blues material.  Sykes and Norum to my ears took the chops bits along with the melodic sensibilities and Campbell took mostly the fire and licks from Gary's 70s/80s period.  These days Vivian's playing well but I don't hear much of the overt Gary influence any more, and he never really had the melodic flair that the other guys did.  
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Did Gary's blues playing really leave much of an impact on guitar playing? His rock playing certainly did, and these days his Wikipedia article even states that "It is notable that whilst Gary found his greatest commercial success as a blues player, his albums from the heavy metal years seem to have had the larger musical influence."
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    I was working in a guitar store when Gary first decided to come out and declare to the world that he was a bluesman. This triggered an endless succession of assholes coming in to try Les Pauls so they could make that "woooo" noise on the neck pickup...  :s
    Sirion said:
    Did Gary's blues playing really leave much of an impact on guitar playing? 
    I would contend NO. Because even at it's most fiery -- on SGTB -- he was probably only doing half of what he was capable of playing rock. And each album got less and less fiery.

That said, I think it probably increased his audience ten-fold.  So a LOT more people knew who he was and got into him. But if I were to guess what percentage of fans who discovered him via the Blues era crossed-over and became fans of the rock metal Gary . . . let's say if you told me it was less than 1000, I'd probably believe it. If you told me it was less than 5000, I'd DEFINITELY believe it.

• Lonesome CrowLonesome Crow Posts: 630
    edited June 2019
    Must have really chapped his ass when Joe Bonamassa came out and stole his beer-commercial blues fan base right out from under him.

If I want to hear an Irish interpretation of American Blues, I'm listening to Rory Gallagher not some bitter cunt who didn't have the self awareness to realize that he should've been playing lead guitar in a band where other people actually wrote the songs.  Kirk Hammett did it right.
    Post edited by Lonesome Crow on
  • I don't know, but he wouldn't even let Sykes be a part of the Lynott Memorial concert, after he had resurrected the band. He let Robbo. Gary was a strange guy, and for everyone who ever said something nice about him, you can also find someone who said he was minimally difficult, if not, not so nice.  
    How do you for sure know he blocked Sykes ? Perhaps he was unavailable
    I'm not at liberty to say, but if you've been here long enough, you can probably guess the "grapevine" I heard that through.
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,402
    edited June 2019
    I remember a Skid Row interview, when they tell that back in the 80s Gary Moore opened a few shows for them,.and the Skid Row guys idolized him and were eager to meet him but Gary was a total asshole because he angry about was opening for a young inexperienced band.
    Post edited by merlo_zeppelin on
    I remember a Skid Row interview, when they tell that back in the 80s Gary Moore opened a few shows for them,.and the Skid Row guys idolized him and were eager to meet him but Gary was a total asshole because he angry about was opening for a young inexperienced band.
    He probably wasn't all that pleased with them using the name Skid Row, either. 
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 558
    edited June 2019
    Osky said:

I wasn't aware of this, same stories w Ritchie of course but I'm unsure if it just wasn't folk not getting his humour. It seems to me he's cool and attentive with real fans, certainly my experience with him. Gary of course, wasn't noted for humour of any sort. Re stories, anything you can repeat?

Post edited by Bent out of shape on

He probably wasn't all that pleased with them using the name Skid Row, either. 
    My thoughts exactly. Their debut album was in 89, IIRC. This was before Still Got the Blues, and an ultimate low on Gary's career. He was on the deep end and all depressed. To add insult to the injury, Skid Row weren't exactly a very good live band, if I am to believe my friends who saw them in that era. All that probably didn't sit well with him.

I wasn't aware of this, same stories w Ritchie of course but I'm unsure if it just wasn't folk not getting his humour. It seems to me he's cool and attentive with real fans, certainly my experience with him. Gary of course, wasn't noted for humour of any sort. Re stories, anything you can repeat?

Ritchie is a weird guy. He has a weird sense of humour, indeed, but he is also, by most accounts, and asshole. Love his art, but there are enough people out there telling the stories to be hearsay of any sort.

As for Gary, the word is bitter. Aside for the stories, which is probably what you are asking for, I read enough interviews with him over the years to tell that, at the very least, he always seemed annoyed with the interviewer. It got to the point I stopped bothering with his interviews because it got boring to read about him bitching about all kind of things. I hope he found peace before he passed. It must suck to be always so angry.