Gary Moore

I visited his grave while near Brighton last weekend  Been playing his 80s catalogue and watching the 2003 Monsters of Rock dvd ever since!  Working on the shapes of things solo at the mo. ..... Phhhewww  

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,474

David: well this is thoroughly depressing.
    Nigel: It really puts perspective on things, though, doesn't it?
    David: Too much, there's too much fucking perspective now.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,750
    Sadly missed. :'(
  • Bent out of shapeBent out of shape Posts: 558
    edited May 2019

https://www.loudersound.com/features/jumping-at-shadows-how-the-blues-saved-gary-moore?fbclid=IwAR3qXBa6vNp4r4r9gWiSbJaOMGuwPP5ITHo1wefDhyjNTBVyReHEypi6UzU

Came across this too, some great anecdotes I hadn't heard before, eg his dislike for ol Robbo.. I never liked the way Gary dismissed  his rock years.

Post edited by Bent out of shape on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,687

https://www.loudersound.com/features/jumping-at-shadows-how-the-blues-saved-gary-moore?fbclid=IwAR3qXBa6vNp4r4r9gWiSbJaOMGuwPP5ITHo1wefDhyjNTBVyReHEypi6UzU

Came across this too, some great anecdotes I hadn't heard before, eg his dislike for ol Robbo.. I never liked the way Gary dismissed  his rock years.

Read that one a few months ago. Very interesting stuff indeed. Not easy to read his contempt for the stuff we all love.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,315
    I wonder what his issue with Robbo was?
    I don't know, but he wouldn't even let Sykes be a part of the Lynott Memorial concert, after he had resurrected the band. He let Robbo. Gary was a strange guy, and for everyone who ever said something nice about him, you can also find someone who said he was minimally difficult, if not, not so nice.  
    edited May 2019
    I really don't know what the deal was. I have never read a Lizzy biography (maybe I should correct that) but I have heard many times Robbo was a screw up, so Phil fired him every other day. Gary always seemed to me as the kind of guy with zero tolerance for people like that. On the other hand he got along famously well with guys like Bob Daisley and Don Airey. Professional musicians who seemed well adjusted individuals and apparently easy to work with.

Back when Sykes and Gorham were doing the Lizzy thing I always got the impression Gary was pissed about that. In fact I remember reading an interview in an old magazine where the interviewer asked Gary his thoughts about it and he made it quite clear that he not only didn't like it, but that they were doing a poor job with the songs, going as far as saying he didn't like Sykes' voice. I remember thinking he struck me as a very bitter person in his comments.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
    Yeah, it was big-time sour grapes.  Also, by the time of the Memorial show, Gary hadn't played rock in years and his rock chops probably weren't what they were back in the day.  OTOH, Sykes was killing it every night on tour. GM's whole reaction came off like he didn't want to be shown-up on guitar by Sykes. Which seemed like a distinct possibility a that point in time.  Petty as shit if true.
    Yeah, it was big-time sour grapes.  Also, by the time of the Memorial show, Gary hadn't played rock in years and his rock chops probably weren't what they were back in the day.  OTOH, Sykes was killing it every night on tour. GM's whole reaction came off like he didn't want to be shown-up on guitar by Sykes. Which seemed like a distinct possibility a that point in time.  Petty as shit if true.
    Yeah, I got the same impression. I never saw them live, but I have that live CD with Sykes, Gorham, Mendoza and Aldridge and that thing just SLAYS. Sykes was fantastic and I was really pissed when they canned it. I really wanted to see them live.

Sykes was playing Gary's solos better than Gary could at that point. He knew it. We knew it. Everybody knew it. That couldn't have fared well with him.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,488
    edited May 2019
    was Gary on Live/Life?
    edit:  yes of course he was.  how stupid of me.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 579
    I remember wondering why Sykes didn't play that Lynott Memorial gig.  I didn't know Gary nixed the idea, I guess I wrote it off to a scheduling thing.  Personally I prefer GM in his prime to JS in his prime but in the 2000s..Sykes would've eaten him for lunch.  OTOH IMO this 2018 tribute, while very good doesn't hold a candle to the original:

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,315
    edited May 2019
    I wonder if Gary hated Robbo for geting the accolades for the 'Live and Dangerous' version of the "Still In Love With You Solo"? Which is probably the solo Robbo is most known for. He might have played Gary's solo almost note for note but Robbo killed it.....shit he killed it on that whole fucking record...
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
    Duojett71 said:
    I wonder if Gary hated Robbo for geting the accolades for the 'Live and Dangerous' version of the "Still In Love With You Solo"? Which is probably the solo Robbo is most known for. He might have played Gary's solo almost note for note but Robbo killed it.....shit he killed it on that whole fucking record...
    interesting point.  you're probably right
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,037
    I think Gary had quite a competitive and jealous side to him. I can remember him often being quite dismissive and negative about EVH in the early 80s, dismissing his playing as just tricks and stunts, yet he was happy to use many of those techniques with the whammy bar and harmonics himself at the time.
    Osky said:
    I think Gary had quite a competitive and jealous side to him. I can remember him often being quite dismissive and negative about EVH in the early 80s, dismissing his playing as just tricks and stunts, yet he was happy to use many of those techniques with the whammy bar and harmonics himself at the time.
    i remember that.  while Gary was surely superior, in many aspects, he did, indeed, disparage him wrongly.  particularly considering Eddie's vastly superior rhythm chops.  how did he miss THAT?