Science Fiction

since i've been in less than adequate health lately, i've been consuming science fiction at a voracious rate.  what are your favorite science fiction movies, series, or franchises?  i'll go first:  Star Trek, The Next Generation.

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,669
    I've always been a huge Trek fan, especially the Original Series.
    But my two favourite TV sci-fi shows are Babylon 5 and Firefly.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,542
    Snoogans said:
    I've always been a huge Trek fan, especially the Original Series.
    But my two favourite TV sci-fi shows are Babylon 5 and Firefly.
    i have tried 3 times with Firefly.  like The Sopranos, it's lost to me.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Snoogans - no love for Red Dwarf? 

For fans of TOS and TNG, Seth Macfarlane is doing an incredible job of doing something fun and episodic with The Orville - it gets much better after the first 3-4 episodes of the first season and the second season so far has been even better. I look forward to every new episode of this, and unfortunately, the new Star Trek series Discovery has been terrible. You win some you lose some.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    • Original Star Trek
    • Next Gen
    • Bab-5 -- awesome
    • Battlestar Galactica - the original was fun, the reeboot was almost as good as B5
    • Red Dwarf is hilarious. 
    • Star Trek Discovery is pretty good 
    • Totally LOVING The Orville.  They have the Sci-FI writers from Next Gen, combined with McFarlane's humor. So it's not just a farce -- it's good, Next Gen-style stories.  If you're a fan of Next Gen and Family Guy -- which I am, it's the perfect show for you. 
    • I also have a soft spot in my heart for the original Lost In Space series. 

Oddly enough, I don't give a hoot about Star Wars (and I've seen them all), though I love the Family Guy remakes of the episodes. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    Snoogans - no love for Red Dwarf? 

Love the Dwarf, but the last few series have been pretty awful.

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Yeah - I think the first 5 seasons were top class. The reunion season was unbearable so I don't even remember if there was a second season of that.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    It was picked up by one of the Freeview channels,and they're still churning them out. I think they're on season 12 or 13 now. It's good to see that the guys are still doing it, and occasionally the old magic briefly appears, but it's running out of steam.

edited April 2019
    Oddly enough, I don't give a hoot about Star Wars (and I've seen them all), though I love the Family Guy remakes of the episodes. 
    dude i am RIGHT THERE.  i've been Star Warsed to DEATH.  i used to love it when i was younger, but i think, interestingly enough, it's the fractured and crazy fandom that has turned me off.  we have a Mardi Gras krewe here called Chewbacchus.  man look..  if you already think Star Wars people are nuts, just add a coupla days' binge drinking and see what happens!  lol

based on your recommendation, i will def check out The Orville.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
    edited April 2019
    Oh man, don't get me started on Star Wars.
    To this old-fashioned and longtime nerd, that's the epitome of everything wrong with Science Fiction right there.
    And get off my lawn!

*Edit* And Doctor Who as well. Trendy hipster scifi lite for the right-on generation. :#
    Post edited by Snoogans on
    Going back to Red Dwarf and other low-budget UK shows, there was one a few years back called Hyperdrive.
    I really liked that, but as far as I can tell, I was the only one in the whole country who did.

Snoogans said:
    Oh man, don't get me started on Star Wars.
    To this old-fashioned and longtime nerd, that's the epitome of everything wrong with Science Fiction right there.
    And get off my lawn!

*Edit* And Doctor Who as well. Trendy hipster scifi lite for the right-on generation. :#
    i don't really dislike the films, any of them.  Jar Jar Binks never got on my nerves until people started arguing about him.  lol
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    edited April 2019
     Jar Jar Binks never got on my nerves until people started arguing about him.
    =)
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,862
    I grew up with Star Wars. I was a kid of the 80's. I love those films, but not to the level of worship some of my friends do.

I kinda like the prequels for what they are. They are bad films with some good scenes, I would say.

I sorta like the new ones, because they take place in a universe I am familiar with. I don't like some of the things they have done in them, but I am not the target audience for them anymore anyway. My wife is significantly younger than me, and hates everything done before the new batch (she has fallen asleep on every one of the original trilogy when I played them to her) but she likes the force awakens. Oh well...
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,682
    I love the TOS of Star Trek as well as the movies it spawned. The Next Gen was awesome as well, but I have lost intrest in everything else that came out after that. I dug the first Star Wars movie, but don't care much about the rest of the franchise. I am a huge Red Dwarf fan, especially trhe first 5 seasons. Beyond that, I get my SciFi fix through books. Philip Dick, Clarke, Heinlein (Especially Tunnel in the Sky), Asimov, Niven's Integral Trees, Haldeman's Forever War, to name a few. I find most movie and TV SciFi to be pretty horrible, although I did love 2001 and its sequel. I suppose there are more, but I am mostly a reader and tend to quickly forget anything I see in the theater or on TV.
    LerxstFan said:
    I love the TOS of Star Trek as well as the movies it spawned. The Next Gen was awesome as well, but I have lost intrest in everything else that came out after that. I dug the first Star Wars movie, but don't care much about the rest of the franchise. I am a huge Red Dwarf fan, especially trhe first 5 seasons. Beyond that, I get my SciFi fix through books. Philip Dick, Clarke, Heinlein (Especially Tunnel in the Sky), Asimov, Niven's Integral Trees, Haldeman's Forever War, to name a few. I find most movie and TV SciFi to be pretty horrible, although I did love 2001 and its sequel. I suppose there are more, but I am mostly a reader and tend to quickly forget anything I see in the theater or on TV.
    you ever read Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat' series?  if you like Heinlein, i think you'll like it.