The Dirt - on Netflix

13»

Comments

• yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    I found the movie entertaining, I also read the book and the one from Nikki Six (Heroin Diaries). While I'm not the biggest Crüe fan, it reminded me when I discover their LP sleeve at my best friend house and I thought half of them were girls...Compared to the Queen movie, it was maybe less "sugar coated" but kind focused more on the extreme rock star attitude and debauchery than the music and the performance of the band.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    yngwie666 said:
    I found the movie entertaining, I also read the book and the one from Nikki Six (Heroin Diaries). While I'm not the biggest Crüe fan, it reminded me when I discover their LP sleeve at my best friend house and I thought half of them were girls...Compared to the Queen movie, it was maybe less "sugar coated" but kind focused more on the extreme rock star attitude and debauchery than the music and the performance of the band.
    The Heroin Diaries was a good read.  i also thought the point where they all detuned a step while rehearsing Live Wire was a pivotal detail.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    The first guitarist trying to play Live Wire, yeah, that's spot on me playing it.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,549
    The first guitarist trying to play Live Wire, yeah, that's spot on me playing it.
    that's def a tricky riff.  it took me awhile to learn it back in the day.  i don't think i could play it now
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    If we get one in GNR instead of focusing so much on girls and drugs, show me the magic of the band etc. like the songs and solos and crazy vocals etc. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    My friend hadnt seen it so I watched it again with him. Enjoyed it slightly more the second time around.

It still cuts to montages and run through things a little too fast but it's still very enjoyable and in the spirit of Mötley Crüe. If you're a rock fan you probably enjoy it but I am not so sure anyone not familiar with the band at all with get anything out of it actually. You kind of need to know where in the grand scheme of things stuff is happening for it to makes sense sometimes, I think.
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,405
    It was fun, and considering the limitations and mid to low production value of Netflix movoes, they did a very decent job.
    I remember reading the book at 16/17 and really liking. A lot of the stories made it to the book, some were changed, but the overall spirit was captured, as well as the rise-fall-redemption arc, even though if the final act was kind of rushed and simplyfied. 

Did anyone notice that the actor playing Nikki Sixx is the same one that played Steve Clark in that made-for-tv Def Leppard movie?
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,891

Did anyone notice that the actor playing Nikki Sixx is the same one that played Steve Clark in that made-for-tv Def Leppard movie?
    I wasn't even aware such a thing existed...
    It was fun, and considering the limitations and mid to low production value of Netflix movoes, they did a very decent job.
    I remember reading the book at 16/17 and really liking. A lot of the stories made it to the book, some were changed, but the overall spirit was captured, as well as the rise-fall-redemption arc, even though if the final act was kind of rushed and simplyfied. 

Not the same actor, the actor who played Nikki Sixx, Douglas Booth, was 9 years old when the Def Leppard movie was made in 2001 lol... Karl Geary played Steve Clark
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,405

Not the same actor, the actor who played Nikki Sixx, Douglas Booth, was 9 years old when the Def Leppard movie was made in 2001 lol... Karl Geary played Steve Clark
    You're totally right Gunner, I don't know how I get them mixed up, still I know I've seen that actor before.
    You're totally right Gunner, I don't know how I get them mixed up, still I know I've seen that actor before.
    They look a little alike. The only reason I knew they weren't the same was because I knew the guy who played Sixx was pretty young, and the Leppard movie was old.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    I finally got around to watching it a few days ago. I'd rate it 4/6 for what it is. I thought the acting was mostly good, with the main problems being that it was too short and that it played up the crazy stories on the expense of the overall narrative. The two problems overlap to some extent, in fact: You get the whole scene with Ozzy snorting ants played out, but Mick's illness is basically passed over with little more than two brief scenes, and there really isn't anything about Vince's childhood, to mention a couple of things.

I get that they are mostly playing the thing for laughs. After all, who is going to take Mötley Crüe seriously apart from dorky musicologists who need to get out more, am I right? From that perspective hiring the Jackass house producer made sense. At the same time I kind of wish they had gone in the other direction, and played up the darker aspects of the film. A lot of their songs were, after all, a lot darker than they appear at first glance (Wild Side is anything but glamorous!), and there is enough in their story to make a good tragedy. But given their reputation, that would probably appeal more to people who already know them fairly well, rather than win over new converts.

The musical side of things was fairly well represented, to the extent that it is obvious that Nikki doesn't really know how to play in the beginning of the movie. They did a decent job with the guitars, too, although the thing naturally was too short on Kramers! I guess they streamlined the whole thing to the point where their musical development is not really being explored much (except that Theatre of Pain suffered from having been written on drugs), but that is another thing they probably couldn't explore and expect a mainstream audience to pay attention.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,450
    I thought the movie was entertaining and I enjoyed it but being that it was on Netflix anyway....they should have made it a series or mini series. I have a feeling though that nobody involved, including the band wanted that kind of commitment.